PDA

View Full Version : the tdf in the pandemic

thwart
09-06-2020, 08:44 AM
A bad idea, IMO. Not worth the risk.

As one would expect, recommending social distancing and masks is nice, but just not going to happen.

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2020-tour-de-france-stage8-corvos-7.jpg

prototoast
09-06-2020, 09:08 AM
I was disappointed to see such crowds on the mountains. Well a large percentage of the people were wearing masks, they also all seem to be shouting, and based on what I have read, vocal projection seems to be highly correlated with disease transmission.

It feels very unfair to the riders, who are just riding along, following all of the protocols, and then effectively have to ride through a disease tunnel at the top of the mountain.

I know completely closing off public roads is an impossible task, but it seems as though certain locations near the top of mountain passes could have been controlled better to protect ride or safety and ensure that the tour will be able to be completed.

Tomorrow is a big day in terms of testing the riders, but if they're just being exposed now, it could actually be the second rest day testing that finishes this tour off.

doomridesout
09-06-2020, 09:41 AM
And entirely healthy athletes have had symptomatic cases that will have lasting effects on breath capacity. The risk is possibly career ending. More short sighted idiocy.

jpw
09-06-2020, 10:02 AM
The Ineos riders voluntarily took the virus test this weekend. Results awaited.

Spaghetti Legs
09-06-2020, 10:27 AM
In general, from what I’ve seen, crowds have been smaller, especially in areas where they can be controlled, I.e, starts and finishes. Clearly not universal though as the picture shows. I do feel for the riders as they can potentially get a lot of exposures over a race day. I think of stage 1 when a rider went down and a lady with a mask on her chin kept hovering around him, trying to help him out (but not really helping).

General definition of higher risk exposure is 15 minutes or more of close (within 6 ft) contact. I don’t know how that translates to riding shorter amounts of that time by crowds of people meeting that definition

One saving grace is that disease prevalence in Europe is much lower, for now, than the US. I remember hearing that the riders were glad to get out of Nice as the prevalence was higher there.

fignon's barber
09-06-2020, 10:49 AM
For the most part, the crowd has been respectful. The worst was on the Peyresourde yesterday. I distinctly recall one fat Basque in an orange Euskatel shirt ,sans mask, running into the middle road and screaming in the face of a rider. Really pissed me off.

Mike V
09-06-2020, 10:52 AM
https://youtu.be/uZ7vkmUNTPA

Jaybee
09-06-2020, 10:52 AM
In general, from what I’ve seen, crowds have been smaller, especially in areas where they can be controlled, I.e, starts and finishes. Clearly not universal though as the picture shows. I do feel for the riders as they can potentially get a lot of exposures over a race day. I think of stage 1 when a rider went down and a lady with a mask on her chin kept hovering around him, trying to help him out (but not really helping).

General definition of higher risk exposure is 15 minutes or more of close (within 6 ft) contact. I don’t know how that translates to riding shorter amounts of that time by crowds of people meeting that definition

One saving grace is that disease prevalence in Europe is much lower, for now, than the US. I remember hearing that the riders were glad to get out of Nice as the prevalence was higher there.

Obviously we all hope no one gets COVID from this, but I'm more worried about an outbreak among spectators who then take it back to their cities and villages. They are spending a lot more time in close proximity with each other than the riders.

Seramount
09-06-2020, 10:55 AM
those without a mask are either oblivious to the risks involved or simply don't care about them.

but, the ones that are truly baffling are the folks that bothered to bring a mask but don't have it properly in place.

leaving your nose exposed or wearing it on your chin doesn't really accomplish anything...duh.

denapista
09-06-2020, 10:57 AM
That's why there is talk of the tour ending early, and it dictated the racing on the last couple of stages. Sagan and Bora going for green and Jumbo getting in Yellow today. The fear was the stage yesterday may create lots of infections (Testing being done on rest day tomorrow). If the results come back with lots of positives, the tour may be stopped and whoever is in the lead wins..

thwart
09-06-2020, 11:34 AM
That's why there is talk of the tour ending early, and it dictated the racing on the last couple of stages. Sagan and Bora going for green and Jumbo getting in Yellow today. The fear was the stage yesterday may create lots of infections (Testing being done on rest day tomorrow). If the results come back with lots of positives, the tour may be stopped and whoever is in the lead wins..
Incubation time, on average, is 5 days. Testing 48 hrs after exposure will lead to false negatives.

texbike
09-06-2020, 12:14 PM
A bad idea, IMO. Not worth the risk.

As one would expect, recommending social distancing and masks is nice, but just not going to happen.

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2020-tour-de-france-stage8-corvos-7.jpg

Interestingly, most of the people in this pic that aren’t wearing a mask or are wearing one inappropriately look very American.

Texbike

bicycletricycle
09-06-2020, 01:46 PM
It has been fun to watch, I’m glad they are doing it. I wish could get over there

Fixed
09-06-2020, 01:55 PM
The racing has been wonderful to see

Fixed
09-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Crowds should stay home and watch Their television

I am so provincial I thought Europeans were smarter than that

smokersteve
09-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Looks fine to me...except all the useless masks

Matthew
09-06-2020, 02:18 PM
What does "very American" look like? Compared to normal, tour crowds are way down. It had to be expected the mountain stages would bring more people. This virus is going to be around for years, likely forever. Maybe people just want to get out and have a little fun. They know the risks as do all of us.

OtayBW
09-06-2020, 03:08 PM
What does "very American" look like? Compared to normal, tour crowds are way down.......And no Americans are flying over there right now.....

tjk23
09-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Interestingly, most of the people in this pic that aren’t wearing a mask or are wearing one inappropriately look very American.

Texbike

What the hell does that even mean? What does very American look like? That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on this forum.

djg21
09-06-2020, 03:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if there are any positives in the Peloton. If so, the race likely will be over.

homagesilkhope
09-06-2020, 04:23 PM
Daily new cases are up again this week in France and the rate on a per capita basis is essentially the same the last few days as the comparatively very high US daily new cases rate. And though France is testing at only roughly half the rate of the US, testing recently has increased which could account in part for the steady week over week progression in the daily new cases average. A month ago, however, there was no comparison whatsoever: the French daily new cases rate was 10 times lower than currently. Not a good trend.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france/

texbike
09-06-2020, 04:44 PM
What does "very American" look like?

What the hell does that even mean? What does very American look like? That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on this forum.

Oh, c’mon now. That’s not nice. My post was meant in jest but perhaps applying the proper emoticon would have helped to convey that a bit better.

...And no Americans are flying over there right now.....

Yeah, It would be tough for Americans to be over there now unless they were already a resident in an EU country. I believe that a number of EU countries are allowing that.

Texbike

weisan
09-06-2020, 05:11 PM
Tex pal, I got a chuckle or two when I read your post. A genuinely good humor has some truth in it.

SoCalSteve
09-06-2020, 05:31 PM

Do you mean masks are useless to reduce the spread of a very contagious virus or that they are wearing them improperly and that renders them useless?

Enquiring minds want to know...

FlashUNC
09-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Stage races through country towns in times like this seem colossally stupid.

parco
09-06-2020, 05:53 PM

Texbike

What does an American look like? Are these non mask wearers ex pats? Are they also in violation of the travel ban?

kiwisimon
09-06-2020, 06:05 PM
What does an American look like? Are these non mask wearers ex pats? Are they also in violation of the travel ban?

he was being ironic...... :) He needed to purple text it.

fignon's barber
09-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Stage races through country towns in times like this seem colossally stupid.

Actually, racing through towns is probably the safest sporting event to pull off. Virus rarely transmitted outdoors with short exposure. Plus, as the riders ride, they are in a vented cocoon thru aerodynamics. The Tour organization needs to police the mountains better. That should be the easy part. The toughest part is the hotel accommodations.

tctyres
09-06-2020, 06:34 PM
Oh, c’mon now. That’s not nice. My post was meant in jest but perhaps applying the proper emoticon would have helped to convey that a bit better.

Two dudes standing on the wall with masks, hats, cycling kit, socks, and flip flops are European. :cool:

SoCalSteve
09-06-2020, 06:40 PM
Actually, racing through towns is probably the safest sporting event to pull off. Virus rarely transmitted outdoors with short exposure. Plus, as the riders ride, they are in a vented cocoon thru aerodynamics. The Tour organization needs to police the mountains better. That should be the easy part. The toughest part is the hotel accommodations.

That’s true, but the peloton is a rolling Petrie dish. Body fluids flying for hours at a time with riders riding in close proximity of one another. Does not feel safe.

The NBA did their “ bubble “ correctly, there is no way Le Tour could pull off anything even remotely close to that. It’s just not logistically possible.

I said all along I’d give it one week. Let’s see what happens in the next few days after the testing results come in.

FlashUNC
09-06-2020, 06:53 PM

You're bringing hundreds of people to remote areas of France in what could be a rolling plague parade. To say nothing of people traveling to watch the stages.

It's a dumb idea.

Black Dog
09-06-2020, 07:30 PM
You're bringing hundreds of people to remote areas of France in what could be a rolling plague parade. To say nothing of people traveling to watch the stages.

It's a dumb idea.

Yes, the fans are standing shoulder to shoulder for hours waiting for the caravan, riders etc.... Being outside may not be enough under those conditions. Tick Tick Tick...Boom! :eek:

GregL
09-06-2020, 07:43 PM
Would I like to be watching the TdF in person this year? Heck no! I think the fans in the crowds on the mountain passes are taking big risks. I am curious to see how the riders and support staff fare. If the riders stay COVID-free, then my assessment of the virus risk on group rides and races may change. Time will tell.

Greg

fkslksj
09-06-2020, 07:50 PM
Wow they're really packed together in that pic. You'd think that live viewers would try to social distance, no?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
09-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Obviously we all hope no one gets COVID from this, but I'm more worried about an outbreak among spectators who then take it back to their cities and villages. They are spending a lot more time in close proximity with each other than the riders.

Yer kidding, right? Like here in the good ole US, there will be a spike in about 10 days..difference is our 'spikes' are really big on top of really BIG numbers.

Here we go..an 'anti'...
I said all along I’d give it one week. Let’s see what happens in the next few days after the testing results come in.

One positive(and I'll bet it happens soon) and this race is over...
Wow they're really packed together in that pic. You'd think that live viewers would try to social distance, no?

You would think, wouldn't you..some youngster, who thinks they are invulnerable, but I doubt their grandma is..geez, this COVID gig has been going on for almost 7 months but lotsa slow learners...even in Europe..certainly in the US..see the vids/pics from colleges, beaches, pools, etc??

Outside Boston yesterday..see the one dude in the middle wearing a mask? Not many eh?, pretty close together..slow learners

Elefantino
09-07-2020, 07:10 AM
Beach photo ... what's the matter with people? As a nation, are really that stupid? (I know, rhetorical question.)

572cv
09-07-2020, 07:44 AM
...And no Americans are flying over there right now.....

No Americans who do not have a pre existing work or student visa are allowed to enter France. In the US, they are not even processing visas right now. We go to France every year this month, and I contacted the consulate. No go.

That people not wearing masks look like Americans is a pretty sad commentary.

texbike
09-07-2020, 07:53 AM
Tex pal, I got a chuckle or two when I read your post. A genuinely good humor has some truth in it.

Thanks Wei!

Two dudes standing on the wall with masks, hats, cycling kit, socks, and flip flops are European. :cool:

Hmmm. They sound German. :rolleyes:

Texbike

prototoast
09-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Beach photo ... what's the matter with people? As a nation, are really that stupid? (I know, rhetorical question.)

Didn't we cover this in March? Telephoto lenses compress the foreground and background and make people appear closer to each other than they actually are.

reuben
09-07-2020, 09:46 AM
Didn't we cover this in March? Telephoto lenses compress the foreground and background and make people appear closer to each other than they actually are.

But they do not change faces from masked to unmasked.

Frankwurst
09-07-2020, 10:18 AM

But they DO make Europeans look American.:beer:
Sorry. I just couldn't help it.;)

charliedid
09-07-2020, 10:21 AM

Virtually everyone in that TDF pic is wearing a mask. The foreshortening....maybe not so much in this case.

Humans gonna be humans.

texbike
09-07-2020, 10:24 AM
But they DO make Europeans look American.:beer:
Sorry. I just couldn't help it.;)

I like it! ;)

Davist
09-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Does not feel safe.

The NBA did their “ bubble “ correctly, there is no way Le Tour could pull off anything even remotely close to that. It’s just not logistically possible.

I'm sure the riders could "opt out", but at a personal cost, of course. If it doesn't "feel safe" for you, don't race. As for the NBA, the lap dance thing feels safe to you and is a best practice? :)

NHL, NBA (not to mention Amazon, Fedex, UPS) seem to be doing fine with this, I was concerned about proximity of people to riders on the mountain the other day, but the only time so far.

As someone with family in EU country, who needs our help (dementia), and we can't go to see/help them, coming to terms with the fact we may have "already" said goodbye, the comment about "Americans" was in poor taste.

pdmtong
09-07-2020, 11:07 AM
The father of one of my wife's clients just died from COVID-19. Sole wage earner. Four kids, one with CP another with development issues. It gets pretty real when there is a name instead of a statistic.

The NFL is whacked - unlike baseball, Goodell is letting the local health guidelines determine stadium attendance. So Texas beng Texas is going to let Jerry put fans in the stands. Meanwhile - no chance for fans at Levi's since Santa Clara is so tightly locked down.

smokersteve
09-07-2020, 11:29 AM
Do you mean masks are useless to reduce the spread of a very contagious virus or that they are wearing them improperly and that renders them useless?

Enquiring minds want to know... .

jtbadge
09-07-2020, 11:31 AM
Having healthy people wear a mask is about as intelligent as quarantining them

Almost 200 thousand dead in this country, and we're still spouting this crap?

smokersteve
09-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Almost 200 thousand dead in this country, and we're still spouting this crap?

akelman
09-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Who could have predicted that this thread would go off the rails?

gasman
09-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Yep, off the rails. Good thread but if your going to comment use science.

smokersteve
09-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Wow! Comments removed on a public forum because a moderator doesn't agree with them. What a joke

smokersteve
09-07-2020, 12:52 PM
Yep, off the rails. Good thread but if your going to comment use science.
Just read all the comments and not a single person used science. I guess only science is needed if someone doesn't agree with you

Big Dan
09-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Don't you have a boat parade to go to?

FlashUNC
09-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Just read all the comments and not a single person used science. I guess only science is needed if someone doesn't agree with you

And the American Medical Association, American Nurses Association, American Hospital Association, the CDC, the NIH, the Mayo Clinic, the WHO and essentially every public health organization on the planet say wearing a mask is best practice right now.

I dunno, they all seem pretty clued in on the science. But I'm sure you've got some inside knowledge.

Spdntrxi
09-07-2020, 01:05 PM
you all gonna get this thread shutdown ?

smokersteve
09-07-2020, 01:10 PM
And the American Medical Association, American Nurses Association, American Hospital Association, the CDC, the NIH, the Mayo Clinic, the WHO and essentially every public health organization on the planet say wearing a mask is best practice right now.
Depends what day of the week you ask them :banana:

mtechnica
09-07-2020, 01:11 PM

You are either a troll or an idiot. Which is it?*

*Before anyone gets all mad at my comment note that I am simply stating facts. Ignoring facts is what got us here today. Life is too short to allow trash like this on our forum.

mtechnica
09-07-2020, 01:12 PM
you all gonna get this thread shutdown ?

Yes I do believe this looks like a nice hill to die on.

smokersteve
09-07-2020, 01:13 PM
You are either a troll or an idiot. Which is it?*

*Before anyone gets all mad at my comment note that I am simply stating facts. Ignoring facts is what got us here today. Life is too short to allow trash like this on our forum.
Facts...go to Sweden bud

mtechnica
09-07-2020, 01:14 PM
Facts...go to Sweden bud

I would gladly live in Sweden but I don't think they're all that interested in Americans after the last 4 years!

weisan
09-07-2020, 01:20 PM
The pandemic didn't create division, arrogance and stupidity.

People were already divided, arrogant and stupid before the pandemic.

That's a fact and scientifically provable.

Bruce K
09-07-2020, 01:55 PM
And, I know Dave reopened it but we just can’t seem to find the rails we got off of.

It was the disagreement, it was the way it was handled.

Closing this again. I believe an infraction is on its way.

BK

gasman
09-07-2020, 05:54 PM
smokersteve has bought himself a permanent ban after discussion amongst the mods.