PDA

View Full Version : Denver Trails

scrooge
02-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Any locals know what kind of shape they're in? I've got a hankerin' to get out (since its probably going on two months since I've ridden), but if the trails are anything like the streets by my house, there's no way. Specifically, I'm curious about Platte River (only a mile from my house) and Cherry creek. So, anyone here riddne them/know if they are passable?

mwos
02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Sorry, I can't help, my Ottrott is in the basement, it's been there since Thanksgiving.

However, the skiing is good. I'm skiing 3-4 days a week and haven't missed riding.

I know I would not try to ride my streets to the Bear Creek, they're still pretty icy. Yesterday, I wanted to go across the street to say hi to my neighbor but didn't want to wade through the "lake" of melting snow in my driveway.

Come to think of it the trail "sidewalk" down Garrison to Estes is clear and I know Cherry Creek around the mall is clear. So maybe it's worth a try, it's a beautiful day for a ride.

Kathi

Tailwinds
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm not going to try it just yet. I'm sure there would still be lots of walking (or WADING) involved on the trails, especially in shady places.

I bet the roads around the Cherry Creek Reservoir are ok. They're pretty exposed to the sun, and I rode around there week before last.

It's so nice to be WARM again!! :cool:

Bradford
02-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I haven't seen the Platte river trails lately, but the trails in Highlands Ranch are all plowed. The main streets are in good shape, but the side streets are still partially iced over.

I saw two guys riding on the street in the Wildcat Reserve/McArthur area on Sunday.

If you have fenders, you should be fine, but I think you might have a bit of spray over you back without them.

I'd like to get the fenders on my touring bike so I can hit the roads this weekend, but I think I'm on baby duty again.

BoulderGeek
02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I've become too fat to ride.

chuckred
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Bike paths are drifted over. Road is clear for the most part with some snowpack and ice. Trails are onlysuitable for snow shoes, xc skiis or hiking.

I rode my Yeti outfitted with new studded tires. Lots of fun as long as it was packed or ice.

This warm weather could change things quickly, but I think the trails are a ways off unless you don't mind a mix of hikeing/riding...

Anyway, just riding around Bear Creek on the road and some of the trails was fun. Only saw a couple of other cyclists - one middle aged woman on a recumbant who said she'd been out consistently since the blizzard and a couple of folks on cross bikes. THis will change today I'm sure!

This photo is from top of the dam looking back towards Morrison...

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/i/161766846725_290_1.jpg?

This picture is up in Evergreen - as of Saturday. Not much riding on the trails at this point!http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/i/161762213253_290_1.jpg?ext=.jpg&rand=-

crossjunkee
02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I rode from Park Hill to Golden yesterday, the Platte was fine for the stretch I was on. Lots of people out riding over the weekend.

Bud
02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Most of the streets and roads up this way are pretty good now, as long as you don't mind gravel and water. I'll be back on the commutocross tomorrow.

It looks like the usual dirt trails I add to the commute are still snow/slush packed and super muddy. It'll be a while before I commute on those again.

What a beautiful day :cool:

Steve K
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Rode CCR yesterday. 95% of the road was clean and dry :)

chuckred
02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Morrison - Ken Caryl - Deer Creek - Wadsworth - Roxborough - Arrowhead Golf Course - Chatfield - return to Morrison?

Hope to get back into the base miles thing again next week!

Bud
02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, the paths aren't entirely clear yet. I had an ice-induced wreck on the way in this morning. Don't worry- the bike is OK. I cushioned it's fall with my body :crap: . The worst thing is that I wore a couple of thin spots in a brand new pair of tights.

All is good now. They've started serving my one of my favorite coffees on the hill near my building, so I am becoming recharged. :cool:

crossjunkee
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I'd love to ride with people from the forum. There seems to be enough people located around the front range...

scrooge
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I'd love to ride with people from the forum. There seems to be enough people located around the front range...

Send me a pm or an email some time if you're looking for a nice leisurely ride. Where are you at?

crossjunkee
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Send me a pm or an email some time if you're looking for a nice leisurely ride. Where are you at?

Will do, I'm in Park Hill. I ride to Wash park all the time...

scrooge
02-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Will do, I'm in Park Hill. I ride to Wash park all the time...

hmmm, i'm less than a mile from wash park (Platte Park)

ejh
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I just got back from a trail ride, well hike & bike. Devlis backbone. Still a lot of snow and mud but it was still great to get out, can't wait for the trails to clear. Need to get lots of miles before August. Eric

dreadpiratetim
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
CCR today... clear except for the turn-around at the dam. Wet (ice in the morning) at the usual shady spot just South of the road to Park HQ.

Lookout and Red Rocks tomorrow, hopefully.

chuckred
02-06-2007, 07:26 PM

During the fall/winter/early spring, I usually do the Team Evergreen Racing rides that start from Morrison. Up until spring, they tend to be base mile oriented - not too frisky for the most part - Morrison to Arrowhead Golf Course via Ken Caryl and back via Chatfield Reservoir. I often add Bear Creek Canyon (to get home) - making for a 50 - 80 mile ride.

The Racing club rides are casual, open to all comers, and there's not a lot of attitude (or I should say, most of the attitude there is is positive!). They tend to stay together for the first half, then the return is a bit more free for all depending upon how fast you're feeling or how dedicated you are to staying in your lower end (or how fast your "lower end" is!).

One downside is that since it's open to all, and many of the riders are training for mountain bike racing, the pacelines don't tend to be super structured, but if you don't mind that, they're great rides!

If you're interested, check out: Team Evergreen RAcing (http://www.teamevergreenracing.com/)

Tailwinds
02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
During the fall/winter/early spring, I usually do the Team Evergreen Racing rides that start from Morrison.

Hey, Chuck, my fellow TER'er.

Ah, those were the days... :rolleyes:

I remember being able to do that ride almost every weekend last Winter.

NicaDog
02-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Bud and I were talking at the Boulderado gathering about getting a Colorado Forum members ride this spring. Now that you all have shown your faces, how about a count of those interested?

We were thinking sometime in mid-late April when the snow may finally be gone from most places.

I'm happy to host from Boulder, but willing to drive if we decide on another place.

I'll start a new thread in the Rides section for us to continue the discussion.

Cheers!

chuckred
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Of course depends on schedule, but sounds fun - would love an excuse to come up to Boulder and ride!

BoulderGeek
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), this is the only kind of training I've been getting since that first snow dump two months ago. But, I sure have been hitting it hard.

ejh
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
hay B.G. now thats my kind of training. But what do you do to carbo load? Eric

Archibald
02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), this is the only kind of training I've been getting since that first snow dump two months ago. But, I sure have been hitting it hard.

“You don’t know a damn thing about a man until you’ve gotten stinking drunk with him.” —Charles Russell

We're homies, Holmes. :banana:

iffyjoe
02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Not sure I remember how to put my foot in the cleats, hopefully it'll all come back to me, I would be up for a group ride, see what some of this motley crew looks like.

Archibald
02-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I'd be down for the occassional roadie group ride. More down for the more occassional MTB ride. This is Colorado after all. :banana:

bozman
02-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I would be interested.

BillyBear
02-08-2007, 09:05 PM
my big winter bod is good to draft behind :butt: ...if you are willing to go slow enough!

BoulderGeek
02-09-2007, 04:21 PM
The 7.75 gallons of Mountain Sun FYIPA in the kegerator is my carbo-load. Every pint has as much carbs as a side dish of pasta.

I just got on a scale and found out that I gained 15lbs since my last triathlon in September. :no:

I didn't know Archibald was in CO. I was going to come to a ride, but now I fear for my peach. :D

BTW, who you calling Holmes? This Holmes? :confused:

fierte_poser
02-09-2007, 04:57 PM
if the ride is at an easy pace, i'm in. even bought a new [to me] station wagon in december just for my serotta. ;)

scrooge
02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Back to the original question...I just rode the Platte River trail from Florida Ave. to REI (and back)...it's about what you'd expect. Some clear, some wet, and in the shady parts, some slush. it's doable (though a road bike is less than ideal) if you don't mind slowing down a lot, but personally, I'm going to wait another week until I try again...until then, I'll be on the rower.

scrooge
02-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Anyone tried out the trails yet? Or have suggestions for other riding that is semi-dry?

Tailwinds
02-20-2007, 09:25 AM
I heard that as of Saturday, the Bear Creek Trail was still under quite a bit of snow/ice. I haven't ridden any of the trails yet but did ride around the CC Reservoir yesterday on the roads. They were fine. I'm ready for a REAL ride, though.

Has anyone been up Deer Creek Canyon? I wonder how far up you can go right now.

Steve K
02-20-2007, 10:53 AM
On Sunday I rode Cherry Creek trail to REI and then a combination of streets 23rd, 26th 32nd to Golden, then Lookout on Sunday. Mostly dry. Only issue was on Cherry Creek under the passing roads had a few ice sheets. Would think after yesterday or today they are gone. Lookout has sand on the bottom 1/4 otherwise the normal Spring conditions exist.