PDA

View Full Version : Need to know: Keys running a successful aid station for a....

RWL2222
09-05-2020, 05:31 PM
...100 mile Backcountry Mountain Bike Race tomorrow. I will be assisting at an aid station, bringing a Feedback work stand, a tire jack and a few tools. PPE is in place and plan for personal drop bags. What else should riders reasonably expect to have available to them beside water, food, and basic first aid.

.RJ
09-05-2020, 06:12 PM
...100 mile Backcountry Mountain Bike Race tomorrow. I will be assisting at an aid station, bringing a Feedback work stand, a tire jack and a few tools. PPE is in place and plan for personal drop bags. What else should riders reasonably expect to have available to them beside water, food, and basic first aid.

SM100? You wont really be able to prepare for the kind of stuff that shows up. You'll have broken chains, spokes, bent hangars, toasted brakes, slashed tires.... sometimes the best you can do is just keep them rolling to the next aid.

RWL2222
09-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Yes, the SM100 https://www.bikereg.com/45228

I plan to stand back and learn but am interested in hearing from people who have done a similar race before.

charliedid
09-05-2020, 06:38 PM
I always liked soft pretzels and coca-cola :)

gdw
09-05-2020, 11:44 PM

Do you know whether the race rules allow nonracers to assist riders with mechanical issues? If assistance is allowed mix up a batch of chainlube, 4 parts white gas to 1 part Mobile 1, or buy a couple bottles of cheap oil to have on hand in case it rains. Despite all the claims made by the various manufacturers of the latest and greatest wonder lubes most don't fair too well if the weather turns and the riders have to ride for hours in the rain or muck.

FriarQuade
09-06-2020, 12:02 AM
The more fun you have, the more the riders will have and that's all that matters.

zmalwo
09-06-2020, 12:29 AM
I dont see how you guys will have a trauma or mass casualty situation so simple bandaids and ice sheets will be enough. Lots of cold water and Ice.

RWL2222
09-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Beautiful day all around. Yesterday and today were perfect weather for a 100k (yesterday) and 100 mile backcountry race: temps in the low 70s, no humidity, bright sun, reasonably dry trail, with occasional mud suck pits.

At 8am, got to the aid station #2 (at mile 33), which also served as #6 (mile 88). First riders came through for dropbags and water. I was there to learn, but they needed a mechanic station. There were about 250 riders, all seemed happy to be out and racing. I brought a good stand and a basic set of tools that I know to work well, but are not specifically bike tools (cable cutters, needle nose vise grips, etc.--wasn't sure if I had the right setup. It turned out that the only things I lacked was tubeless core tool and a floor pump (but there was one pump there). I learned a ton, mostly from riders who were happy to have the tools right at hand to do their own tweaking or fixing. I lubed lots of chains and assisted with repairs or pointed riders to another more experienced mech, and encouraged riders onward. We had a tub of NR2bs and tires, but no real flats to fix that plugs and sealant couldn't fix.

There was lots to be impressed by for a newbie like me. There were a couple of guys at the front on SS bikes and I understood that one rider was doing the race on a fixie (!). There were guys my age (late 50's) and older doing this for the nth time, but one who stood out took out a tin of Copenhagen for a huge dip before getting back on the bike; he noted that he would go through almost two tins over the course of the race. I used to dip in college but I can't imagine dipping on a bike.

We had no real injuries that I saw or heard about. The first riders were done in just over 7 hours, with late riders expected as late as 8pm.

The was well-organized I would say based on the comments I heard and what I saw. It did not allow non-racer assistance with mechanical issues, but we were not going to make that point to the 16-year-old whose mom brought his second bike after his RD gave out after 33 miles. (I suggested he pick a gear and ride fixed.) The idea suggested here of making up a batch of lube was out of reach for me--but there was a lot of lube available. Cold Cokes were set up for the last aid station before the finish line. It was a beautiful scene. I look forward to going back.

weisan
09-06-2020, 08:54 PM
Well done! Thanks for volunteering.