PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Front Hub - Vintage American Classic?

denvervig
09-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Picked up this vintage hub that is laced to a near perfect Wolber Profil 18 tubular rim and wondering if anyone can identify it? I've seen pictures of a similar vintage Amercian Classic hub but it had an identifying logo or equivalent on the shell whereas this one has nothing. Of course, it may just be some vintage generic hub.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k8L8EgBg7fapnXoT7

Mark McM
09-04-2020, 01:32 PM
That looks very much like an American Class Speedster front hub.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_jpg/amerfrt_15.jpg

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_american.html

This leads to an auxiliary question: The photo and link above are from the web page of BikePro, a mail order bike company. BikePro went out of business more than 20 years ago - who's hosting their web page?

Pegoready
09-04-2020, 01:56 PM
This leads to an auxiliary question: The photo and link above are from the web page of BikePro, a mail order bike company. BikePro went out of business more than 20 years ago - who's hosting their web page?

A mystery for the ages. The site is generally well written and factually accurate too.

I also wonder who updates the Sheldon Brown site. I use their gear calculator all the time and someone is totally updating the cassettes, which is amazing. All the way through AXS WIDE 10-36. It's really funny running gear numbers on a 2020 group on a site that is from the Angelfire era.

unterhausen
09-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Sheldon's site is maintained by someone at Harris Cyclery, isn't it?

donevwil
09-04-2020, 03:04 PM
...This leads to an auxiliary question: The photo and link above are from the web page of BikePro, a mail order bike company. BikePro went out of business more than 20 years ago - who's hosting their web page?

I've wondered that myself as BikePro used to be here in Santa Rosa. I stumbled on this the other day when buying something from BikeBling in Escondido:

BikeBling.com - 1-800-BIKEPRO is Bike Bling

Could it be?

Gummee
09-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Look like the wrong end caps for an Am Classic

M

Mark McM
09-04-2020, 04:39 PM
Look like the wrong end caps for an Am Classic

M

What do you mean, the end caps look identical.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_jpg/amerfrt_15.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fECj9XEurLK-tGdXFG0kNU1SDkh3Vp5ES-H1NaclmNxbZyHxuQGpsUwMlVcdBfMKsb5gu1rvXv1CAIkjUUrq QWjQ6v2uzO3mHHh7fFrBhYL6SDfQ8CPn5am-SsVXzn4DS5UYqA8BKFY4kiqerp148-vA=w394-h525-no

Velocipede
09-04-2020, 11:41 PM
Picked up this vintage hub that is laced to a near perfect Wolber Profil 18 tubular rim and wondering if anyone can identify it? I've seen pictures of a similar vintage Amercian Classic hub but it had an identifying logo or equivalent on the shell whereas this one has nothing. Of course, it may just be some vintage generic hub.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k8L8EgBg7fapnXoT7

It's an American Classic hub. It was made in Ohio. They did a few versions of the front hub. This was a 1-piece shell. They were made from bar stock and the flanges had a tendency to break cause the aluminum wasn't forged. So make sure to check the flanges well.

Also, they did a few different graphics for them- engraved, red/white/blue sticker, black sticker, stickers with the words American Classic, stickers with they the eagle logo. This is partly due to the hubs being made in 3 different places in Ohio. The original AMC factory burned down. Bill didn't rebuild it and had Alan Kingsbury in Lima Ohio start making AMC parts. At the same time, Alan decided to make parts for himself under the Kingsbury name. After a few years Bill had a family run machine shop back in Canal Fulton start making them. They made them till he took the brand back in Nov. 2001.

I used to work on these at AMC as well as build them for customers.

oliver1850
09-05-2020, 12:14 AM
Looks like Hoshi bladed spokes. I have a few in a couple of different lengths. Also a couple of NOS Wolber Profil 18 rims.

ColonelJLloyd
09-05-2020, 12:19 AM
What is the advantage of the headless spoke? One less step in manufacturing?

GOTHBROOKS
09-05-2020, 12:22 AM
a bladed spoke wont fit through the hole

oliver1850
09-05-2020, 12:33 AM
a bladed spoke wont fit through the hole

Well, they obviously will, just not the bladed part. I think what you meant was that the Hoshi spokes don't require a slotted hub flange as other bladed spokes do.

denvervig
09-05-2020, 07:08 AM
It's an American Classic hub. It was made in Ohio. They did a few versions of the front hub. This was a 1-piece shell. They were made from bar stock and the flanges had a tendency to break cause the aluminum wasn't forged. So make sure to check the flanges well.

Also, they did a few different graphics for them- engraved, red/white/blue sticker, black sticker, stickers with the words American Classic, stickers with they the eagle logo. This is partly due to the hubs being made in 3 different places in Ohio. The original AMC factory burned down. Bill didn't rebuild it and had Alan Kingsbury in Lima Ohio start making AMC parts. At the same time, Alan decided to make parts for himself under the Kingsbury name. After a few years Bill had a family run machine shop back in Canal Fulton start making them. They made them till he took the brand back in Nov. 2001.

I used to work on these at AMC as well as build them for customers.

Thx! Good to know about the flange risk as I'm trying to figure what to do with this one. The hub spins nicely but the sealed bearing are not perfect.

denvervig
09-05-2020, 07:09 AM
Looks like Hoshi bladed spokes. I have a few in a couple of different lengths. Also a couple of NOS Wolber Profil 18 rims.

I might be looking for a mate - are you looking to sell one?

Velocipede
09-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Thx! Good to know about the flange risk as I'm trying to figure what to do with this one. The hub spins nicely but the sealed bearing are not perfect.

The bearings are pretty standard. I believe they were 6001 2RS on these. I'd have to look as I have a ton of cartridge bearings in the drawer. But they are readily available in steel, stainless, and ceramic versions.

Just keep an eye on the flange. Given how it's laced, properly and with a decent spoke, they might be ok for many years to come. Just depends. A lot of people who reversed the spoke lacing had failures of the flange. And Hoshi made a great spoke. Great Z-Bend. Just keep an eye on them. Something you can do is clean the hubs really well then take a Sharpie and color the flanges. You'll see any cracks or marks in them right away. And a Sharpie will come off with degreaser so it a good no destructive test I used to do.

Velocipede
09-05-2020, 10:44 AM
What is the advantage of the headless spoke? One less step in manufacturing?

That was part of it. Plus they could be used easier as replacement spokes. It also help on the earlier hubs not being slotted. A bunch of companies didn't like that idea. Eventually they were ok with it but some companies still didn't offer it.

Hindmost
09-05-2020, 11:06 AM
I've wondered that myself as BikePro used to be here in Santa Rosa. I stumbled on this the other day when buying something from BikeBling in Escondido:

BikeBling.com - 1-800-BIKEPRO is Bike Bling

Could it be?

Bike pro used to be right off the freeway on Cleveland. It seemed like they featured and stocked everything desirable.

Tz779
09-05-2020, 11:09 AM
A mystery for the ages. The site is generally well written and factually accurate too.

I also wonder who updates the Sheldon Brown site. I use their gear calculator all the time and someone is totally updating the cassettes, which is amazing. All the way through AXS WIDE 10-36. It's really funny running gear numbers on a 2020 group on a site that is from the Angelfire era.

i think Harris Cycles in Boston does....

Velocipede
09-05-2020, 11:10 AM
i think Harris Cycles in Boston does....

Correct. They announced some time ago they were going to continue the pages in honor of Sheldon.

uno-speedo
09-05-2020, 11:33 AM
BikePro.com is still owned by Frank Savage now of iSickbay.