PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 217 Rear Hub - which lubricant to use?

denvervig
09-04-2020, 01:06 PM
I picked up a Zipp 100/217 wheelset last year with a Campy 8 speed hub and I'm trying to figure out which lube to use since the rear hub needs to be lubricated at strict intervals due to the bushing design. Zipp lube does not seem to be available so looking for recommendations.

Zipp hub history for reference:

https://www.sram.com/en/service/articles/zipp-hub-timeline

Velocipede
09-04-2020, 11:46 PM
I picked up a Zipp 100/217 wheelset last year with a Campy 8 speed hub and I'm trying to figure out which lube to use since the rear hub needs to be lubricated at strict intervals due to the bushing design. Zipp lube does not seem to be available so looking for recommendations.

Zipp hub history for reference:

https://www.sram.com/en/service/articles/zipp-hub-timeline

I found that Boshield T9 worked best. I built more than a few of these into wheels and the drip style with a needle tip worked best. Just try not to lose the cover plug. Also, there is a specific tool to remove the Campy or Shimano freehub body. I have a spare Shimano one if you ever want to switch them.

denvervig
09-05-2020, 06:58 AM
Thanks! I might be interested in the tool as I had not thought about trying to track down a shimano hub for it yet. Putting aside the maintenance requirements, would you say that these are worth keeping? The hub spins very nicely and the wheelset is in excellent condition.

Velocipede
09-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I might be interested in the tool as I had not thought about trying to track down a shimano hub for it yet. Putting aside the maintenance requirements, would you say that these are worth keeping? The hub spins very nicely and the wheelset is in excellent condition.

It's a good looking, nice, lightweight hub. I loved the more classic looks of them. I just wished they hadn't done the stupid bushing design. It was all to make it lighter given the shell size. I get it, but seriously.

Regarding the tools, I could loan it to you but you might be able to find one locally in Denver or Boulder. There's a bunch of high end, long time shops there. They might have one. Or even the freehub.

Keep it? Up to you. Just know you need to do a bit of maintenance on it every 3-500 miles. That's 3 miles. LOL!!!

denvervig
09-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Thx - agreed on the looks! I'm still running Campy 8 speed on my Tommasini Comp so it still has a home but I might use it more if I had a Shimano hub as my daily is a Merlin running DA 7700. I'll look around first see what's out there.

denvervig
09-05-2020, 12:40 PM
It's a good looking, nice, lightweight hub. I loved the more classic looks of them. I just wished they hadn't done the stupid bushing design. It was all to make it lighter given the shell size. I get it, but seriously.

Regarding the tools, I could loan it to you but you might be able to find one locally in Denver or Boulder. There's a bunch of high end, long time shops there. They might have one. Or even the freehub.

Keep it? Up to you. Just know you need to do a bit of maintenance on it every 3-500 miles. That's 3 miles. LOL!!!

If convenient/easy - can you post a picture of the tool

Velocipede
09-05-2020, 01:35 PM
here you go.
The black one is the Shimano one.
the silver one is the campy one.
also attached a pic of the Shimano freehub body and the "cone" that adjusts it and holds it in place.