dbnm
09-04-2020, 10:22 AM
Anyone using these bolt on bars?
https://ridefarr.com/int/product/farr-carbon-aero-bolt-on-v2/

Asking for a friend.

:)

Dude
11-11-2020, 11:20 AM
I haven't used that specifically but i'm very interested in their Aero Gravel handlebar. That looks fun.

Hilltopwalters
11-11-2020, 03:47 PM
I too, am interested. I'm doing a double century on my single speed gravel bike next year (and making some solid upgrades) and have always wanted to try this.

jkbrwn
11-11-2020, 03:54 PM
This is of course my opinion, but to me, the biggest advantage of a pair of clip on bars on a non-triathlon/timetrial bike is the additional hand position. It also gives you the benefit of being more aerodynamic.

This doesn't have that extra position at all. You still bear weight on your hands. Seems totally pointless. All you're doing is making your frontal area a bit more narrow. You want to get lower as well if you're trying to be more aero.

I'd buy some normal aero clips ons and be done with it.

Just look at the lack of control these things are going to provide. It'll be like trying to steer by holding your stem :confused:

Hilltopwalters
11-11-2020, 06:58 PM
This is of course my opinion, but to me, the biggest advantage of a pair of clip on bars on a non-triathlon/timetrial bike is the additional hand position. It also gives you the benefit of being more aerodynamic.

This doesn't have that extra position at all. You still bear weight on your hands. Seems totally pointless. All you're doing is making your frontal aero minimally narrow. You want to get lower as well if you're trying to be more aero.

Just look at the lack of control these things are going to provide. It'll be like trying to steer by holding your stem :confused:

That's what I was thinking when I looked at them a bit more. Kinda gimmicky with no real advantage.

slambers3
11-11-2020, 07:11 PM

This doesn't have that extra position at all. You still bear weight on your hands. Seems totally pointless. All you're doing is making your frontal aero minimally narrow. You want to get lower as well if you're trying to be more aero.

Seems like a decent improvement in control if you’re riding this position. Definitely better than holding on to the front of your computer

jkbrwn
11-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Agree with you there. However, I expect the number of people whose saddle to bar is long enough to actually get in this position and sustain it is quite rare. Hirschi’s (spelling?) saddle to bar and also saddle to bar drop is huge.

I’m sure they’ll work for someone, but to me, it’s fixing a problem that clip on extensions fixed a long time ago.

ColonelJLloyd
11-11-2020, 08:20 PM
I agree with several comments already made.

I've spent considerable time researching and trying iterations of aero clamps, pads, and extensions for use on longer rides and this product would be useless to me and would be apparent to a rider very quickly whether or not it would be useful to them. For my purpose, the idea is to to maintain the hip angle while taking weight off of my upper body (yeah, I know core is key here).

oldpotatoe
11-12-2020, 07:04 AM
It also gives you the benefit of being more aerodynamic. [/B]

Ya think moving your hands 5 or so inches inboard from being on the hoods will make much difference in 'aero-ness'? On a bike with that least aero thing on it, a body?

Marketing run amok...shades of spinachi bars.

robt57
11-12-2020, 08:29 AM
advantage of a pair of clip on bars on a non-triathlon/timetrial bike is the additional hand position. It also gives you the benefit of being more aerodynamic.

...You still bear weight on your hands...

...lack of control these things are going to provide. It'll be like trying to steer by holding your stem...

That's what I was thinking when I looked at them a bit more. Kinda gimmicky with no real advantage.

I bought these Deda one piece years ago. Specifically for a double century when I had not done more than an 80 [50 avg] miles in 10 years. They got used on the Strong All road briefly.

They now are on the Domane Classics Team bike that is the bike I take for longest rides. I consider the Domane my rando bike.

I read posts like the ones quoted and can say I find the exact opposite.

I am on them so much on the Domane I moved the Di2 climber pod to the tip.

For me:
+ arms outta the air and in front of torso.
+ zero numb hands for hours and hours of rolling.
+ very good relaxed shoulder posture

I find zero issue steering out on them. Heck, I have a carbon computer mount I use on my Tarmac albeit a lot less, as a mini mini areo hand position. Note in the pro peloton the large number if rider using the computer screen same way. I'd not steer thru a fast bumpy turn this way. I would and do on the Deda one piece them being so solid.

I put some normal Kona style carbon aero bars and arm rests on the English Aero custom I got here. Before new season starts back up they are coming off and Controltech road Sirocco mini clip ons going on. They are this style the subject of the thread.

https://www.controltechbikes.com/cache/com_z2/CM_d7dd7d50c4a737531519f43a9dd20ece_TTH-19-P.png

robt57
11-12-2020, 08:30 AM
Ya think moving your hands 5 or so inches inboard from being on the hoods will make much difference in 'aero-ness'? On a bike with that least aero thing on it, a body?

Marketing run amok...shades of spinachi bars.

I find getting my arms in front of my torso effective, my 2 cents.

For me the Farr intended purpose for gravel: Think about it, gravel=wide/leverage bars. I rarely do my usual tops stem hugging hand riding position while rolling on loose surface. For road I see these as viable.

Maybe for the aero English instead of the Control Techs. Except buying from OZ not my first choice from lower 48.

Anyone aware of a state side point to buy Farr bits?

teleguy57
11-12-2020, 11:15 AM
I bought these Deda one piece years ago. Specifically for a double century when I had not done more than an 80 [50 avg] miles in 10 years. They got used on the Strong All road briefly.

They now are on the Domane Classics Team bike that is the bike I take for longest rides. I consider the Domane my rando bike.

.... Before new season starts back up they are coming off and Controltech road Sirocco mini clip ons going on. They are this style the subject of the thread.

https://www.controltechbikes.com/cache/com_z2/CM_d7dd7d50c4a737531519f43a9dd20ece_TTH-19-P.png

I'm thinking something like these would work well for me. Control Tech has a newer model too, the Impel https://www.controltechbikes.com/cache/com_z2/CM_02778851dfcf94717199e5a0aa538da9_TT-TTH13-RED.png

My challenge in the hunt is finding something with a 35mm clamp vs 31.8 to fit my Deda Trentacinque bars. The only ones I've found so far are the Deda (natch) Parabolica. They fit 3 types of extensions, but none that are short/connected.

jkbrwn
11-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Can you not just use a shim?

teleguy57
11-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Can you not just use a shim?

It goes the other way -- the 35mm bar is too large for a 31.8 clamp. If I had a 35mm clamp with a 31.8 bar shimming is an option.

tomato coupe
11-12-2020, 12:12 PM
You could achieve the same effect just by holding your bars where these things are clamped on.

jkbrwn
11-12-2020, 12:19 PM
It goes the other way -- the 35mm bar is too large for a 31.8 clamp. If I had a 35mm clamp with a 31.8 bar shimming is an option.

But of course. Sorry, totally misread your post :)

robt57
11-12-2020, 12:47 PM
You could achieve the same effect just by holding your bars where these things are clamped on.

Being I do both, it is not nearly the same thing, for me anyway.

Although holding the bar in by the stem does have you tuck your elbows in more. I find I get sore shoulders if I do it over a 3-4+ hr. jaunt. But I got old shoulders and was in construction for a long time, raced MX, skied a lot in moguls, MTB rock gardens, blah blah. Too many body barometers...

robt57
11-12-2020, 12:51 PM
The flat nature of the impel rules them out for me, I find I have to tilt hands forward and make my carpel tunnel a curve instead of a straight tunnel.

I'd say the Deda one piece is just barely tilted up for my druthers. And the stem being built in, rise and angle are fixed.

I'm thinking something like these would work well for me. Control Tech has a newer model too, the Impel https://www.controltechbikes.com/cache/com_z2/CM_02778851dfcf94717199e5a0aa538da9_TT-TTH13-RED.png

mtechnica
11-12-2020, 03:26 PM

lol what an idea

Hilltopwalters
11-12-2020, 03:34 PM

I read posts like the ones quoted and can say I find the exact opposite.

I am on them so much on the Domane I moved the Di2 climber pod to the tip.

For me:
+ arms outta the air and in front of torso.
+ zero numb hands for hours and hours of rolling.
+ very good relaxed shoulder posture

I find zero issue steering out on them. Heck, I have a carbon computer mount I use on my Tarmac albeit a lot less, as a mini mini areo hand position. Note in the pro peloton the large number if rider using the computer screen same way. I'd not steer thru a fast bumpy turn this way. I would and do on the Deda one piece them being so solid.

I put some normal Kona style carbon aero bars and arm rests on the English Aero custom I got here. Before new season starts back up they are coming off and Controltech road Sirocco mini clip ons going on. They are this style the subject of the thread.

Ahhh, a very salient response. It sounds ridiculous but I'm going to attempt a double century on my single speed next year and have been batting around different aerobar extensions so this was helpful.