PDA

View Full Version : ebay question - returns and refunds

steelbikerider
09-03-2020, 05:49 PM
I'm still a newb on ebay as I clean out my stash of old parts so I have a question.
I listed an 8 speed DA cog and posted the wrong picture with it. I explained to the buyer the problem (15t splined cog but pic of 13t threaded cog) and asked if he wanted to cancel or what. He said send the 15t cog but was expecting it to be threaded even though I told him it was splined. I went ahead and gave him a full refund but do I also need to send him return postage if i ask him to return the cog? I realize its only a $15 transaction but I am about to list some more expensive components.

flying
09-03-2020, 05:51 PM
It is all predetermined by how you list it...

Meaning free returns or buyer pays return ship etc etc

And yes buyer should always return item first then refund occurs

"Most" returns are at buyers expense unless seller states Free Returns

Also usually on selling format....seller does not accept returns is the default

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 05:57 PM

not exactly. If the return is based on the wrong item being sent or "item not as described" ebay case the seller is responsible for return shipping.

Its my least favorite Ebay policy as a seller.

You should have an option to send the buyer a prepaid postage pdf OR ebay can send one on your behalf and charge your seller account.

From my experience the way Ebay treats sellers these days its almost beneficial to describe your item in as few words as possible. Buyers can claim you said "great condition" when the condition is "good in my opinion" and ebay will side with the buyer and make you eat shipping. It favors the buyer to a point where I just accept returns even though my listings say no returns because I dont want to deal with ebay.

I once sold an extremely expensive polaroid camera and the buyer claimed the camera was damaged during shipping. I paid for full insurance out of my own pocket because it was a new to ebay buyer and asked the buyer to send me photos of the damage so I can send to USPS for a claim and then I will send a postage label for return shipping. Buyer never responded and it took ebay 4 months to give me my $500 that was withheld.

My point is--seller beware of new to ebay buyers-- take caution

flying
09-03-2020, 05:59 PM
not exactly. If the return is based on the wrong item being sent or "item not as described" ebay case the seller is responsible for return shipping.

Its my least favorite Ebay policy as a seller.

You should have an option to send the buyer a prepaid postage pdf OR ebay can send one on your behalf and charge your seller account.

Yes for sure but as OP stated.....I explained to the buyer the problem (15t splined cog but pic of 13t threaded cog) and asked if he wanted to cancel or what. He said send the 15t cog but was expecting it to be threaded even though I told him it was splined.

So seems he was clear ahead of sale & should have the correspondence in Ebay messaging to prove that

But yes confusion can result in charges being paid if not clear

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 06:03 PM
Yes for sure but as OP stated.....

So seems he was clear ahead of sale & should have the correspondence in Ebay messaging to prove that

But yes confusion can result in charges being paid if not clear

But I think since the ad had the wrong picture the buyer can claim "not as described"

cinema
09-03-2020, 06:11 PM
to echo what others said, if buyer states the item was significantly not as described, even if you select ‘no returns’ ebay will charge you for return shipping and provide the buyer with a prepaid label and well as a refund once they return it (most of the time)

flying
09-03-2020, 06:33 PM
But I think since the ad had the wrong picture the buyer can claim "not as described"

True & sellers should always be as clear as possible & use actual photos of item being sold

Bentley
09-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Putting no returns in the listing does not mean anything if the item is not as described. You list it wrong, have something wrong or omitted from the listing, you are going to eat it. If it’s a high dollar item I recommend not to sell overseas, the return shipping can make it not wore the it. There are buyers that use this scam all the time.

If you are going to list something make sure you state the condition accurately, I would recommend saying it’s used, normal signs of use ... blah, blah, blah. But if you goof, return shipping and a refund is likely.

Ray

tbike4
09-03-2020, 07:20 PM
This doesn't answer the OP's question but sellers need to be extra vigilant these days with buyers. I have been selling a ton of stuff for the company I work for since April and there are buyers that just lack reading comprehension to put it mildly. I can spell out in no uncertain terms that the 300 pound freezer for sale is local pick up and people hit the buy it now button and ask how much is shipping? If the buyer can't get that part :rolleyes:

A buyer wanted to BIN from me and couldn't, did not know why. He sent me a screen grab and showed he had unpaid item strikes against him. That meant he was blocked by my filters. He says, "take off the filter, let me buy it and then put back the filter". That is some crazy sª•¶.

cinema
09-03-2020, 07:36 PM
the terms are wonderful for me as a buyer. i buy lots of old cameras from people that do not know what they are listing and when they improperly advertise the item i am still able to return it even if its listed as ‘no returns.’but this is also why i dont sell on ebay. i feel very badly for sellers who run into bad buyers.

velomateo
09-04-2020, 11:02 AM
For a $15 transaction, I would just let him keep it. Not worth your time. Just pay attention to your listings and double check for accuracy before posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk