PDA

View Full Version : Campy Drive Train

norcalbiker
09-03-2020, 05:15 PM
I have an 11 speed with 29T right now. I bought a Wolf tooth Rear Der extension. Can Swap my Campy 29 to Sram/Shimano 34 with Sram Chain?

Anyone done this setup? How is it working put for you?

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 05:39 PM
FWIW I have a medium cage chorus 11 rear der and Im running an ultegra 11-34 cassette without the use of a wolftooth road link.

From my understanding if you have a short cage RD the wolftooth will work great

norcalbiker
09-03-2020, 05:46 PM
FWIW I have a medium cage chorus 11 rear der and Im running an ultegra 11-34 cassette without the use of a wolftooth road link.

From my understanding if you have a short cage RD the wolftooth will work great

I don't know if my der is a med cage or a short cage. All I know is I have a Super Record 11 Speed with a 29T right now.

Mark McM
09-03-2020, 07:14 PM
I don't know if my der is a med cage or a short cage. All I know is I have a Super Record 11 Speed with a 29T right now.

Measure the distance between the centers of the pulley bolts. A short cage will measure 55mm, and a medium cage will measure 72mm.

If it is a short cage, it won't work with the 11-34 cassette (with a double crank), even with the Wolf Tooth. In addition to the derailleur cage having to reach low enough for the largest sprocket, the cage also has be able to wrap up the chain slack between the big-big and the small-small chainring & sprocket combinations, and the short cage derailleur only has a capacity of 33 teeth (which is not enough*).

There were two generations of 11spd derailleurs - 2014 and earlier, and 2015 and later. I have a 2015 medium cage 11spd derailleur, and it can handle an 11-34 cassette without a Wolf Tooth adapter.

(*Capacity is measured as the difference between the largest and smallest sprocket, plus the difference between the largest and smallest chainring. For example, an 11-34 cassette and 53-39 chainrings will need a derailleur with a capacity of at least 23 + 14 = 37 teeth.)

norcalbiker
09-03-2020, 09:36 PM
So it’s about 55mm so that means it’s a short cage. What are my options?
32 with wolf tooth?
Swap my rear defroster to mid cage?

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 09:41 PM
So it’s about 55mm so that means it’s a short cage. What are my options?
32 with wolf tooth?
Swap my rear defroster to mid cage?

I’m fairly certain you can use the wolf tooth. I’ve read it here and saw folks say it worked with a 34.

I also believe you can buy a midcage rear der and swap the cage

norcalbiker
09-03-2020, 10:22 PM
I’m fairly certain you can use the wolf tooth. I’ve read it here and saw folks say it worked with a 34.

I also believe you can buy a midcage rear der and swap the cage

I’ll give it a try with wolf tooth. Do I need to use campy chain or Sram ok?

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 10:56 PM
I’ll give it a try with wolf tooth. Do I need to use campy chain or Sram ok?

I am using a shimano chain and shifting is perfect.

I have another bike thats SRAM etap with a campy chain so I think a SRAM chain will play nice.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2020, 06:06 AM
I have an 11 speed with 29T right now. I bought a Wolf tooth Rear Der extension. Can Swap my Campy 29 to Sram/Shimano 34 with Sram Chain?

Anyone done this setup? How is it working put for you?

Gotta remember that the wolf tooth thing DOES prevent the pulley from hitting the big cogs, it DOESN'T alleviate the need to have enough chain for the big-big combo..you need more chain length for that.