PDA

View Full Version : How do I recognize an eBay scam by the seller?

XXtwindad
09-03-2020, 01:25 PM
I want to be cautious here, but I think there's something a little funny with a recent item I'm bidding on. Just to clarify again: I'm not sure that there's a scam going on, but it seems a tad fishy. Any thoughts or input would be welcome.

I'm currently bidding on an item that has only two bidders...myself and someone else. I have raised my bid several times, as has my "competition." It's beginning to feel odd. When I checked the bidder's profile, 4 of his bids in the past month (there have been six) have been with this particular seller.

Any statistical anomalies there? Or just sheer coincidence?

Thanks.

tctyres
09-03-2020, 01:28 PM
You're going to need to provide more information if you want a non-generic answer.

IMO, walk away. It's a bike/bike parts/ebay sale. They generally aren't worth the headache.

cmg
09-03-2020, 01:31 PM
seller has his friend or second account bid up the price to find your ceiling. if it's still in the desirable range yea you could have got it cheaper but it's still within budget. Do a google search on how to raise the bids on eBay without having to pay if you win. i'm sure someone has written how scam a buyer.

XXtwindad
09-03-2020, 01:32 PM
You're going to need to provide more information if you want a non-generic answer.

IMO, walk away. It's a bike/bike parts/ebay sale. They generally aren't worth the headache.

I appreciate the response. I don't know how much more info I can give. Again, I'm not sure there's anything untoward going on. It just feels odd. I was wondering if any members of the Forum know if there are any "tells" when it comes to scams.

slowpoke
09-03-2020, 01:33 PM
The only way to bid on eBay is to bid within the last 10 seconds of auction close. Any bidding before that leads to overpriced items.

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Stop bidding.

If you really want the item place a bid with 4 seconds left

cmg
09-03-2020, 01:37 PM
The only way to bid on eBay is to bid within the last 10 seconds of auction close. Any bidding before that leads to overpriced items.

Seller could bid as a second account until he passes the current bid, then request a withdraw of bid. which being the one making the request, he allows. or use this system https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Bidding-Buying/shill-bidding-through-automatic-bidding/td-p/22033012

madsciencenow
09-03-2020, 01:38 PM
Stop bidding.

This or what SP said.

It’s typically difficult to know for sure but if it feels weird or off then walking away or bidding at the end is the best option, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuscanyswe
09-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Still as long as u dont bid a higher number than you are willing to pay u obviously seem its worth it right?

If unsure if something fishy going on just bid what you think its worth at close to the end of auction. If u get it great if not then well somebody else wanted it more or perhaps it will be up for sale again if idd it was a "scam"

prototoast
09-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Bid a high amount. Wait for bid up. Do a bid retraction (say you entered the wrong amount, e.g., add an extra 0, you can do this within 24 hours).

If the seller is bidding himself, wait for a bid retraction from that account.

pcb
09-03-2020, 01:45 PM
IMHO there is no way to tell if anything "funny" is going on here, at least with the info you've given us.

Maybe the other bidder is the seller's friend, or the seller themselves using another account. Or maybe there's somebody else out there interested in the same stuff as you.

The best way to protect yourself from shill bidding is to decide for yourself what your maximum bid is, and don't bid until the last few seconds of the auction. If you're outbid, no problem, it went for more $$ than you wanted to pay. If you win, but another bidder gets the price up close to your max bid, there's a chance that bidder was in cahoots with the seller. But if you didn't bid more than you thought the item was worth, and we're not talking many hundreds/thousands of dollars, you still got the item for what you thought it was worth.

As with most commercial transactions in life, there is always the chance for shenanigans on ebay. But ebay and paypal are very protective of buyers. Auction cancellations and item returns are easy to obtain. No matter what the seller stipulates, the buyer can always claim the item was "Not As Described," or defective, and ebay will almost always make the buyer whole.

It's not impossible to get cheated on ebay, and I've been burned a few times, always as a seller, never as a buyer by the way, but I'm always mystified at how quickly some folks seem to be to suspect possible fraud.

I want to be cautious here, but I think there's something a little funny with a recent item I'm bidding on. Just to clarify again: I'm not sure that there's a scam going on, but it seems a tad fishy. Any thoughts or input would be welcome.

I'm currently bidding on an item that has only two bidders...myself and someone else. I have raised my bid several times, as has my "competition." It's beginning to feel odd. When I checked the bidder's profile, 4 of his bids in the past month (there have been six) have been with this particular seller.

Any statistical anomalies there? Or just sheer coincidence?

Thanks.

joosttx
09-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Stop bidding.

This ... but wait til 2 secs :)

dbh
09-03-2020, 02:00 PM
I use myibidder for all of my ebay bids. That way I don't get caught up in the emotions of a bidding war. I decide ahead of time what I'm willing to pay and no more, set the bid for 4 seconds left, and wait and see the results. Plus I don't forget to bid on something that I really had my eye on.

XXtwindad
09-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Bid a high amount. Wait for bid up. Do a bid retraction (say you entered the wrong amount, e.g., add an extra 0, you can do this within 24 hours).

If the seller is bidding himself, wait for a bid retraction from that account.

Clever.

XXtwindad
09-03-2020, 03:30 PM
FWIW : the seller has over twenty items for sale. Two of the highest ticket items have only two bidders. On both items, one of the bidders has only one bid total in their history - each of them with the seller. On another high ticket item, one of the few bidders has bid on a item with the seller 80% of the time he/she/it placed a bid.

I don't mind paying 20$ over what I would've paid for an item. It's the principle of the thing.

prototoast
09-03-2020, 04:05 PM
FWIW : the seller has over twenty items for sale. Two of the highest ticket items have only two bidders. On both items, one of the bidders has only one bid total in their history - each of them with the seller. On another high ticket item, one of the few bidders has bid on a item with the seller 80% of the time he/she/it placed a bid.

I don't mind paying 20$ over what I would've paid for an item. It's the principle of the thing.

I forgot to mention earlier, you can actually report this to Ebay. Report -> Listing practices -> Fraudulent listing activities - > Seller is using other accounts to inflate price.

unterhausen
09-03-2020, 04:14 PM
It's very possible someone else wants the item and doesn't know they should snipe either.

Someone with a lot of items once admitted they had shill bidders on some things, but it was friends, not their own second accounts. I always suspected it with some sellers.

colker
09-03-2020, 04:19 PM
Scams, innacurate over optimistic descriptions, overpriced shipping.
Nnless you really need it and there is nowhere else to buy then just avoid ebay.

pdmtong
09-03-2020, 04:24 PM
as advised, stop bidding and wait. until the last 2 seconds. all you are doing is helping to drive up the price.

stop responding to the bid against your bid.

mdeth1313
09-03-2020, 04:57 PM
I'd report it anyway. Sometimes ebay will look into it and or watch that seller's future auctions. If the same thing happens they might take action.

Toeclips
09-03-2020, 05:01 PM
I've been taken once on ebay, general experience has been positive

If I'm buying from an individual I now look for
Number of items listed, if only one item listed it is now a red flag for me
I look for someone who has multiple listings in particular items listed relating to the hobby/subject matter which I'm bidding on

I look for feedback, and number of items sold

Experience has taught me that if you make a claim to ebay, it's up to you to prove seller was negligent
Total PIB

jtakeda
09-03-2020, 05:14 PM
I've been taken once on ebay, general experience has been positive

If I'm buying from an individual I now look for
Number of items listed, if only one item listed it is now a red flag for me
I look for someone who has multiple listings in particular items listed relating to the hobby/subject matter which I'm bidding on

I look for feedback, and number of items sold

Experience has taught me that if you make a claim to ebay, it's up to you to prove seller was negligent
Total PIB

Feedback and length of time on eBay are the main factors I look for.

I very rarely sell multiple items at once and when I do sell it’s usually a high ticket item.

colker
09-03-2020, 05:25 PM
I'd report it anyway. Sometimes ebay will look into it and or watch that seller's future auctions. If the same thing happens they might take action.

What if seller is legit and we are descending into vigilantism here? If it feels wrong just step away and look elsewhere.

peanutgallery
09-03-2020, 05:48 PM
At this point, if it's on ebay...I just assume it's an attempted scam. Same with craigslist. Other formats are somewhat better

unterhausen
09-03-2020, 11:33 PM
What if seller is legit and we are descending into vigilantism here? If it feels wrong just step away and look elsewhere.
they can check to see if the bids and the seller are at the same IP address, because that's not unheard of. Somehow doubt their investigations are too deep

oldpotatoe
09-04-2020, 06:03 AM
I appreciate the response. I don't know how much more info I can give. Again, I'm not sure there's anything untoward going on. It just feels odd. I was wondering if any members of the Forum know if there are any "tells" when it comes to scams.

Bid the maximum you are willing to pay and let it ride......

mdeth1313
09-04-2020, 06:08 AM

You've got to be kidding me. If ebay looks into it and it's legit, there should be no issue.

What if it's NOT legit?

Hilltopperny
09-04-2020, 06:25 AM
Probably a shill bidder. My stepfather was an auctioneer and antique dealer. I have seen this at lots of live auctions and on eBay for years.

I agree with those above that say wait until the last few seconds to place your bid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk