PDA

View Full Version : Buying used bike racks

Veloo
09-03-2020, 11:13 AM
Any arguments against buying used bike racks for the car?
Roof or hitch.

I do see one potential roof rack with a single bike tray on a local classifieds ad here.

Haven't looked into it but I am guessing there is no warranty or theft coverage since I wouldn't be original owner.

I've heard the odd story about some racks failing to no fault of the owner.

AngryScientist
09-03-2020, 11:16 AM
i would have no reservations buying used bike racks, as long as you inspect them and they work properly, there's no problem there.

i have purchased almost all of my rack stuff used, most of the time from REI garage sales. Most of the stuff from Yakima, Thule, Rocky Mounts, Kuat - is all really well made, and lasts forever - so as long as it isnt physically broken or othrewise damaged - and it fits your application, it's a pretty safe bet.

cgolvin
09-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Just a random data point, but I have a Thule roof rack that I bought used locally more than 20 years ago. It had simple QRs so a few years ago I bought replacement heads with locks…here (thanks @Velocipede, or @Sales_guy as he was known at the time). Turns out that those heads weren't compatible with the existing rails, so I subsequently bought some used rails off Craigslist. I also bought a set of rain gutter feet to mount on a different car…again, used.

All of this stuff has worked reliably (kind of obvious since I continue to go back to the used well). Hard for me to see any downside of buying used, though of course I can understand the security of paying for a warranty.

djg21
09-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Likewise. I have an Yakima roof rack in my garage that needs a home. I had it on a car I used to drive, and don’t use it on my new vehicle because I now drive an SUV and use a hitch-mounted rack. The parts don’t go bad.

charliedid
09-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Theft coverage?

azrider
09-03-2020, 12:35 PM
Zero hesitation. I bought my Thule X2 on CL about 6 years ago and it’s still going strong.

If/when you buy used, I recommend taking it all apart, cleaning, painting, and it’ll come out looking brand new.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200903/00d2f9b011b7dd2942dc1c8c7a8ee37c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veloo
09-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Ignorant assumption that there was some/ any guarantee that their locking mechanisms prevented theft up to a certain dollar value like a Kryptonite lock.

Theft coverage?

srcarter
09-03-2020, 12:52 PM
I bought a used Kuat several years ago on Craigslist that has served me well, plus the prior owned did the assembly, so I saved both time and money. I’ll likely resell that one in the next few years and should be able to get about what I paid, which is a bonus.

Downside was that it took a few months to find the model I was seeking. Currently, there have been several pleas on our local Nextdoor to borrow racks as many retailers were sold out as people were biking more and opting for driving vacations.

bart998
09-03-2020, 01:06 PM
I also bought a used Kuat (model: Transfer) from craigslist. Can't beat the deal...$200 for a three up hitch rack. I decided to upgrade it with a lock kit (locks for the bikes and hitch pin) and found Kuat's customer service to be very helpful.

I bought a used Kuat several years ago on Craigslist that has served me well, plus the prior owned did the assembly, so I saved both time and money. I’ll likely resell that one in the next few years and should be able to get about what I paid, which is a bonus.

Downside was that it took a few months to find the model I was seeking. Currently, there have been several pleas on our local Nextdoor to borrow racks as many retailers were sold out as people were biking more and opting for driving vacations.

charliedid
09-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Ignorant assumption that there was some/ any guarantee that their locking mechanisms prevented theft up to a certain dollar value like a Kryptonite lock.

I don't think I have ever heard of one which is why I asked.

Back to the original ? used is cool like anything as long as you can verify things. Used sporting goods places here sell tons of them.

dbh
09-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Yep, bought a used Saris bones (two of them actually). Like any used item, know what it is you're looking at, make sure it'll fit your vehicle, and visually inspect to make sure there's no exterior damage. Not sure if I'd by some no name cheapo box store trunk rack, but have no issue buying a used quality rack.

pdmtong
09-03-2020, 03:35 PM
People sell used bikes. People sell used racks.

The main difference is sometimes the rack stays on the car - attached 24 x 7 x 365 so you need to make sure every pivot moves smoothly and no pieces are missing. and weather hasnt gotten the best of some of the metal or plastic bits. of course check all the bolts again.

blakcloud
09-04-2020, 05:46 PM
I have purchased two used roof racks here in Toronto for both my cars and haven't had any problems. The only thing I had to buy were the feet for each individual car.

The guy I bought my second rack from seemed to have lots of used racks which seemed to good to be true so I asked him where he got his racks from. He told me he gets them from cars that have been in wrecks but the roof racks are still good. His buddy owns the tow lot and he gets them for a small pittance and sells them. I was fine with that and it has held up for the last two years and only removed for the winter months. Not everyone would be comfortable with this but I am.

Getting tired of the roof rack so I am starting to look for a hitch system and again I will look for used if possible.