PDA

View Full Version : The Unbearable Lightness of Being (or, holy sh&$! that crank is expensive)

54ny77
09-03-2020, 12:28 AM
Went to order a Cannondale BB30 SiSL2 crank from a nearby LBS C'dale dealer today for a bike I have with a specific BB30 bottom bracket (press-fit bearings and all, i.e. non-outboard), since it's nigh impossible to find online. That crank is the cat's meow, super light and I've read nothing but positive reviews for years. Friendly employee on phone, quoted me $1k after we talked specs, etc. I said I'd have to think about it and will call back later with a yeah or nay, he was cool and all was fine. Guy calls me back apologetically about 5 min. later and says, "Umm, sir, the price I quoted you was accidentally wrong, the actual price with the spider ring is a little over $1300."

Aye carumba! Had no idea these things were that pricey new!

Needless to say, I politely passed...

Am in need/want to replace and/or upgrade my crank situation, and just abhor all new manufacturer designs. Not to mention I'm running 10 speed on just about everything, which leaves me with....not much choice.

The moral of the story is: if you find a design you like in an equipment piece, buy 2 or 3 of 'em as spares, because 10+ years later, the replacement alternatives might look like a transformers cartoon.

A first world problem, yes...

...but I keep my stuff for a very long time and take care of it, so there's that. Every once in a blue moon it's nice to upgrade to something shiny and new.

FlashUNC
09-03-2020, 12:33 AM
So if you're keeping your stuff a long time, why not buy the shiny new thing?

Buy once and all that jazz.

Louis
09-03-2020, 12:37 AM
In that case, just get a bowler hat...

54ny77
09-03-2020, 12:41 AM
Well, I think I bought my whole SRAM Red group at the time for the price of that crank.

I was just blown away by the price of the SiSL2.

Anyone know where they're made? Def. unique in appearance and specs. And insanely light.

So if you're keeping your stuff a long time, why not buy the shiny new thing?

Buy once and all that jazz.

tuscanyswe
09-03-2020, 12:49 AM
Its a ridiculious price no doubt.

Clean39T
09-03-2020, 12:53 AM
With a bit of patience you should be able to find a used one for around $300-500 with a SpideRing - that's about what they've sold for around these parts and on FB lately..

KonaSS
09-03-2020, 04:35 AM
Yea, I would never pay retail for one of those. Just keep an eagle eye out on the high traffic for sale sites.

Black Dog
09-03-2020, 05:03 AM
Running 10 speed does not limit what cranks you can use. All 8, 9, 11 or 12 speed cranks will work fine with a 10 speed chain. The world is your oyster. :)

verbs4us
09-03-2020, 05:56 AM
No Sweat. Now you can justify the Cane Creek Ti model for about $900. I think this anodized blue mirage is a bit more:

54ny77
09-03-2020, 06:09 AM
If I could find silver spider and chainrings I'd give it some thought (but in a straight ti finish arms, not the rainbow anodization). Right now the only thing avail. is black for spider and aftermarket rings, and I have no desire to strip anodization as a project.

In person it's a stunner of a crank. Ridiculously light. Supposedly slightly wider than most Q-factor, but who knows if that'd be an issue for me.

No Sweat. Now you can justify the Cane Creek Ti model for about $900. I think this anodized blue mirage is a bit more:

Spaghetti Legs
09-03-2020, 08:14 AM
I know not germane to the press fit crowd, but $200 gets you one of these and you’ll use it the rest of your life. I have one on my shelf right now, trying to decide which bike gets it.

Gummee
09-03-2020, 08:33 AM
...or the OP could stick a Kogel BB in there and just run Shimano cranks.

(assuming it's the c-dale I think it is)

If it's just a regular BB30 BB, there are a host of adaptor BBs out there that will let you run just about anything you want. Enduro. Wheels Manufacturing. Kogel. BB Infinite. etc

M

cmg
09-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Sugino makes some of the best looking cranks around.

yinzerniner
09-03-2020, 09:19 AM
If I could find silver spider and chainrings I'd give it some thought (but in a straight ti finish arms, not the rainbow anodization). Right now the only thing avail. is black for spider and aftermarket rings, and I have no desire to strip anodization as a project.

In person it's a stunner of a crank. Ridiculously light. Supposedly slightly wider than most Q-factor, but who knows if that'd be an issue for me.

So you’re griping about MSRP while also noting that you want a light crankset in all silver finish? First world problems indeed!

But for real, there’s a silver spider available for the eewings. See below
https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-EEWings-Spider-Anodized/dp/B07WZLT8KQ

And since there’s no 2x integrated spidering for Cannondale I assume your chainrings are black. With the silver 5x spider you can use any host of aftermarket rings.

Other than that any Bb30 crank will work on the cannondale. Even if it’s an Ai Bb shell system (or 5mm wider on the NDS) you just take off the preload adjuster and do preload via thin spacers.

54ny77
09-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Thx for the link!

I was just looking at Fairwheel's website and they only had black.

This crank would go on a different bike.

The SiSL2 I had inquired about would go on a frame with a BB30 bottom bracket and internal bearing (it's an older Parlee, circa '09 or so). It's got 1st gen sram red on there, still working just fine but it's a 53/39 and am looking to both lighten and go compact

So you’re griping about MSRP while also noting that you want a light crankset in all silver finish? First world problems indeed!

But for real, there’s a silver spider available for the eewings. See below
https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-EEWings-Spider-Anodized/dp/B07WZLT8KQ

And since there’s no 2x integrated spidering for Cannondale I assume your chainrings are black. With the silver 5x spider you can use any host of aftermarket rings.

Other than that any Bb30 crank will work on the cannondale. Even if it’s an Ai Bb shell system (or 5mm wider on the NDS) you just take off the preload adjuster and do preload via thin spacers.

yinzerniner
09-03-2020, 09:33 AM
Thx for the link!

I was just looking at Fairwheel's website and they only had black.

This crank would go on a different bike.

The SiSL2 I had inquired about would go on a frame with a BB30 bottom bracket and internal bearing (it's an older Parlee, circa '09 or so). It's got 1st gen sram red on there, still working just fine but it's a 53/39 and am looking to both lighten and go compact

So if it's BB30 or PF30 (68mm wide BB shell) the world is your oyster for cranksets. Anything can be converted, but the conversion will negate any weight savings.

If you don't mind the colors/aesthetic, the lightest semi cost effective route is to find a 10s SRAM Red Exogram BB30 in compact sizing. Will weigh around 520-530g fro the entire setup. Or if you go with the super-bling EEWings setup, you can get it down to ~550g with super weightweenie rings but it will cost about the same as the Cannondale MSRP.

54ny77
09-03-2020, 10:08 AM
That's the preference -- older BB30 Sram Red compact crank. I'll refinish it if it's scuffed. I have a stash of Praxis and OEM compact rings (in black). It is VERY difficult to find a NOS or pristine older Sram red compact crank/spider.

The EE wings would be for an entirely different bike, incidentally.

So if it's BB30 or PF30 (68mm wide BB shell) the world is your oyster for cranksets. Anything can be converted, but the conversion will negate any weight savings.

If you don't mind the colors/aesthetic, the lightest semi cost effective route is to find a 10s SRAM Red Exogram BB30 in compact sizing. Will weigh around 520-530g fro the entire setup. Or if you go with the super-bling EEWings setup, you can get it down to ~550g with super weightweenie rings but it will cost about the same as the Cannondale MSRP.