PDA

View Full Version : Mondonico Restoration Project...what have I done or what am I about to do?

RKW
09-02-2020, 06:45 AM
So, my uncle passed earlier this year, not CV related, and he gave me the Mondonico bicycle he raced “back in the day.” I was not especially close to him, and didn’t even know he raced bicycles. It’s old, hasn’t been touched in 20 years, and in desperate need of some love.

Before I destroy something sacrosanct (if it is), I’d like to enlist the help of the knowledge base here.

Is this an item of particular value? Is updating the componentry to modern C11 going to ruin something that is best given a new home with someone who would appreciate it as it sits-ish? As far as I can tell it’s Campagnolo Nuevo Grand Sport.

Appears to be in pretty decent condition, and would make for an entertaining project.

If there are other pictures you would like to see or anything I need to clarify to get a better idea of what I have, please let me know.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/7f1da5a0b2d76ae9defe9e5cf60c2a8c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/393ea63d5c3cc10ff932e8bc219e6057.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/6bdae0cfb954a5475d04c3ca8d8243ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntb1001
09-02-2020, 07:00 AM
Nice bike.
I think you could just give it a nice clean up, polish up the parts a bit and it would look great.

If you want to have it modernized with current parts, go for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merckx
09-02-2020, 07:05 AM
I would give it a thorough cleansing, and then replace the following: freewheel and chain, bar tape, brake blocks, cables and housing, and tires. It will be a special machine for you to ride when the urge strikes. Enjoy it.

martl
09-02-2020, 07:06 AM
nice bike, the Decal is Columbus SL/SP (tubi rinforzati garantiti) 1978-84 according to Hilary Stone. The presence of NR and the hexhead brakebolt would put it on the lower end of that range. The latter would also be the biggest obstacle as modern front brakes use the recessed allen one. Second one would be the rear dropout spacing which most likely is 126 as opposed to todays 130mm, but that issue is a minor one (i wouldnt mind). Third obstacle would be brake reach; some frames of that era will support a 49mm brake, some won't.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2020, 07:10 AM
I would give it a thorough cleansing, and then replace the following: freewheel and chain, bar tape, brake blocks, cables and housing, and tires. It will be a special machine for you to ride when the urge strikes. Enjoy it.

What he said....:banana:

Yes, with a few things, like drilling the fork for a recessed front brake and 130mm spacing, it can use a Campag 11s group but it'll ride great the way it is.

Spaghetti Legs
09-02-2020, 07:10 AM
It looks like Bianchi branded crank, probably a Gipiemme. Hard to tell the other parts but maybe Campy Nuovo Record? I’d say with the mixed parts, the only reason to preserve in current build would be sentimentality on your part. The frame is high quality and would make a nice rider. If you want to upgrade to 10-11 speed, it would be best to get the rear triangle spread to 130 mm.

If it is a 56-57 cm frame (looks slightly smaller to me), I’d be interested in taking it off your hands :)

Edit: I’ll add that while I don’t know details of Mondonico history, he started in the Colnago shop and I didn’t think he branched on his own until late 80’s. That frame looks mid 80’s to me. I’d be really surprised if the fork wasn’t drilled for recessed brake, unless it’s not original to the bike.

buddybikes
09-02-2020, 07:17 AM
That is cleaner lug work than my same circa DeRosa.

AngryScientist
09-02-2020, 07:26 AM
lovely looking bike and worthy project.

i will say absolutely go for the modern build.

for me personally, if i owned a bike with that ancient kit on it, i would never ride it. i've come accustomed to, and enjoy a wider, lower gear range, much better performing brakes and more comfortable modern hood shape.

i wouldnt worry at all about preserving it as a museum piece, drill the fork, spread the rear and put the modern kit on it, as it will get you riding it.

clean up the old parts, take good photos and toss them on ebay and re-coup some of your investment in the new stuff.

RKW
09-02-2020, 07:56 AM
So, who can I send the bike to for spreading the rear? That's the only bit of "modernizing" it that I'm not overly keen on doing myself.

I don't want it for anything other than a coffee-ride bike. I have team bikes to ride when I actually want to go for a ride.

He was 5'6", so it definitely isn't a 56. Haven't actually taken the time to measure it, just know that it "fits" me with a change of stem.

Those tubulars are long-dead. I wouldn't dream of riding on them.

velomateo
09-02-2020, 08:54 AM
If coffee bike is your intended use, I would leave it as is. Replace all that was listed above and enjoy. If you've never ridden a classic like this, you may be pleasantly surprised at how nice they are to ride. Plus if all you have ever ridden is modern carbon and such, it's nice to get an appreciation for what the greats like Merckx and Hinault conquered virtually everything on.

Gummee
09-02-2020, 09:07 AM
If coffee bike is your intended use, I would leave it as is. Replace all that was listed above and enjoy. If you've never ridden a classic like this, you may be pleasantly surprised at how nice they are to ride. Plus if all you have ever ridden is modern carbon and such, it's nice to get an appreciation for what the greats like Merckx and Hinault conquered virtually everything on.

This

and

It's only original once...

I just built up a Giordana with DT shifters. It's nice getting back to my roots. The old habits are still there, just buried under 30 years of STI shifting

M

Spaghetti Legs
09-02-2020, 09:09 AM
So, who can I send the bike to for spreading the rear? That's the only bit of "modernizing" it that I'm not overly keen on doing myself.

I don't want it for anything other than a coffee-ride bike. I have team bikes to ride when I actually want to go for a ride.

He was 5'6", so it definitely isn't a 56. Haven't actually taken the time to measure it, just know that it "fits" me with a change of stem.

A bike shop with a competent mechanic with experience in older bikes should be able to handle it. Unless you're in a rural or isolated location, shouldn't be too hard to find someone within driving distance. Post your location and I'm sure folks here could give you some recommendations.

The process isn't too complex; I've done it on a freebie Ross frame using a shovel handle. That being said, I would leave a nice frame like that to a pro.

Hindmost
09-02-2020, 11:15 AM
It is only original once. It is a little Eroica jewel as is.

As was suggested, you could replace some of the worn bits. Maybe upgrade the brakes to Record and rebuild the hubs for clinchers.

Almost forgot: find an Impero frame fit pump and a used toe strap to carry your spares under the saddle.

martl
09-02-2020, 11:27 AM

Brazed frames are, according to the italian school of bike brazing, to be checked and straightened to measure after the manufacturing process is finished. This is to be done done on a marble table (Carrara) ground to a flatness that would make NASA eingineers blush, using a 1Mio$ Luxxotica test microscope (modello "Coppi e Galilei") precise enough to measure a fairie's pubic hair width. If that setup was out of order, which was frequently the case, the master framebuilder would apply some percussive maintenance in combination with his calibrated glass eye. So i wouldn't be too fuzzed about it. just do it...

A margin of +-2mm in the rear dropout spacing is not entirely unheard of for fresh-from-the-factory frames of that era.

Ken Robb
09-02-2020, 11:42 AM
I had an old Nishiki with all Campy NR and Dropouts that was FUN to ride and got me into San Diego Classic Group rides. At the same time I also had 9 other newish bikes of steel, carbon and ti so ot was a really nice change of pace and I had no urge to change anything. For the cost of updating this one with a new group and spreading the frame you could buy a 5 year old steel bike with all the newish stuff already on it.

RonW87
09-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Two thoughts in addition to all the good advice above:

1. The hoods probably need to be replaced. Although those don't like like campy brake levers anyway, so I'd get new (to you) Nuovo Record brake levers.

2. Downtube shifting is a bit of a pain but kind of fun to get used to and good at. Clips and straps, on the other hand, have no redeeming qualities (other than an Eroica ride where period correct gives you points). Replace the old pedals with clipless.

Pegoready
09-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Really cool bike, but I agree with people who say build it how you want and how you'll want to ride it.

I've fallen into the trap of keeping stuff "period correct" so it looks nice, but in the end who cares? Old gearing sucks, old shifting is slow and clunky, old brakes blow, and old handlebars and levers are uncomfortable. You'll ride it a lot more with a modern group.

My only personal hang up would be to keep the quill stem and use a modern 26.0 bar like the Soma HWY1 or Deda Piega. A slight PITA over a threadless conversion but worth it in my eyes.

12snap
09-02-2020, 12:32 PM

I'd argue that it's not necessary to coldset the dropouts to 130. There will be enough flex in them that you can put a modern 130 mm wheel in there as is. You just need to pull the chainstays open a bit when you put the wheel in. It's slightly more work but not that big of a deal. Especially, if this is only going to be a commuter type bike. No sense paying a shop to do the work that's not needed.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2020, 12:52 PM
I'd argue that it's not necessary to coldset the dropouts to 130. There will be enough flex in them that you can put a modern 130 mm wheel in there as is. You just need to pull the chainstays open a bit when you put the wheel in. It's slightly more work but not that big of a deal. Especially, if this is only going to be a commuter type bike. No sense paying a shop to do the work that's not needed.

Guess you have never seen a bike that was ‘spread’ to 130mm break a dropout to seatstay or chainstay joint or the dropout itself. Spreading makes the dropouts non parallel and the QR forces it that way, PLUS properly aligned dropouts reduces axle breaks on freewheel hubs significantly. But yer bike, do whatever ya wish but when in the bike shop trenches, we strove to match rear spacing to hub used. I wouldn’t say it’s ‘not needed’...imho.

chismog
09-02-2020, 01:15 PM
I think the frame is pretty nice, nicer than the parts for sure. Agree that you'll use it more with modern parts; less $$ to keep and maintain and way more options. That means 130mm.

Potatoe is spot-on, as usual. Back in the day I yanked a 126mm frame apart to put in an 8s wheel and it was bent axles and QRs until I spread it. Somehow it trashed the wheel too.

You can do it too, no big deal. I used the 2x4 method. I would suggest having a shop align the dropout faces when you're done.

rccardr
09-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Could be a pretty bike but nothing really special, given that there’s no real emotional attachment to it. Would also take a close look at the front fork to confirm that it requires (as opposed to simply has installed) a nutted brake. The rear appears to be recessed, and while I’ve run across a few nutted/recessed combinations, in my experience they are exceedingly rare.

In my world, that bike ‘needs’ nothing more than a good cleaning, some chain lube, and a new set of tubies. Ride it 20 miles and see if you like it. If so, do a complete bearing service (hubs, BB, headset) and ride it occasionally. If not, dispose of it to someone who would be attracted to it for what it is.

While I’m solidly in the ‘you don’t have to spread it to run 130 hubs in a 126 frame’ group, and have done it for an awfully long time without any dire consequences, I do respect OP and advise you to do so if you intend to use a modern group shifted by STI/Ergos as they seem to be a more finicky bunch than DT’s.

chismog
09-02-2020, 02:56 PM
...confirm that it requires (as opposed to simply has installed) a nutted brake. The rear appears to be recessed....

I thought the same thing! It looks like someone stuck some late 70s parts on a mid- 80s frame.

It's worth fixing up with better stuff.

RKW
09-03-2020, 08:26 AM
Ok. Let me chew on this. The comment about it being a coffee bike and leaving it alone really made me consider just moving it to a home where someone will appreciate it. I have my dad's Ciocc that's period correct (minus speedplay) that I enjoy riding a handful of times each year (normally to brunch). I don't really think this would get ridden much.

Anyone on here want it? Caveat, I don't really have a clear idea of what it's worth. Make me a fair offer, and its yours.

oliver1850
09-03-2020, 10:21 PM
Head guy at Torelli was looking for a 56 cm Mondonico when I talked to him maybe two years ago. I don't remember his name but it shouldn't be too hard to track him down. He may have only been interested in a Torelli branded one but I'd guess he would like to see this bike.