PDA

View Full Version : Riding T-shirt with rear pockets

fourspin
09-02-2020, 12:15 AM
Has anyone found a well designed technical riding shirt (not a zip up jersey but a pullover shirt) with rear pockets? I like the idea for gravel/mtb riding when I don't need to unzip to regulate temperature, but I still need a place to put a phone/wallet/tools/etc.

I like the concept of the Velocio Micromodal Jersey but the execution seems lacking - people complain that the pockets sag and contents bounce around. They need to use different fabric for the pockets and probably reinforce them.

Kitsbow used to have some wool shirts (I have a few, like the fit) but they only had a single pocket on the back that wouldn't even hold a phone. Nowadays it looks like they are going super minimal on their shirts.

Cafe du Cycliste has their gravel shirts, I'm not crazy about the style but they seem like roughly the right idea.

RWL2222
09-02-2020, 10:07 AM
I am looking for the same thing. The best I have found is a giro wool t-shirt like this--the Giro CA Ride Crew Pockets Jersey.

https://www.rei.com/product/881850/giro-ca-ride-crew-pockets-jersey-mens

But I have not found anything close to it. Another poster here recently pointed out one available at Costco, but they are sold out.

I will be listing this one FS as the size Large is too snug for my out of shape bod. I don't think it has been worn at all.

AngryScientist
09-02-2020, 10:11 AM
IMO

rear pockets only work on jerseys because they have a tight compression fit, and keep the pocket reasonably stationary relative to the body.

a tshirt that is looser fitting, especially towards the bottom will not work well with something as heavy as a phone in it, especially mtb'ing, i think it would swing and sway all over the place and likely just call out eventually.

how about looking into a very minimalist hip pack, then wear any t-shirt you like?

RWL2222
09-02-2020, 10:28 AM
OP--I put the shirt I have in the FS thread. Have been meaning to do this for a while and your posted gave me the needed nudge.
I changed the post above to link to a video of the Giro jersey. It's a snug, proper road bike fit, just too small for me. I have had several of the minimalist three-back-pocket tees and prefer them sometimes.

There is a close on the 'zon https://www.amazon.com/CANARI-Mens-Sport-Tech-Tee/dp/B01N7R62GY but it's only got one back packet that might fit a matchbox and dollar bill with maybe a key. i want three big pockets.

R3awak3n
09-02-2020, 10:38 AM
I think it is much better to just get some cargo bibs and carry your stuff that way. Or a handlebar/ some sort of bike bag. A tshirt is gonna be super flappy

old fat man
09-02-2020, 10:44 AM
I saw a Troy Lee designs shirt that might work. One pocket I think.

RWL2222
09-02-2020, 10:44 AM
Funny this came up in a thread across the hall long time ago, and AScientist responded then too: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/supplier-cycling-shirt-back-pocket-not-jersey-42702.html

rain dogs
09-02-2020, 11:02 AM
We make exactly what you're looking for in our Everjourn collection:

Ranger Mullet Jersey (https://cimacoppi.cc/en/everjourn-collection/36-178-ranger-merino-m.html)

Some of the colors are already sold out, but we can make them custom (solid color for example, and any other custom mods are always possible ie without zip.)

If you want custom, just email us.

fourspin
09-02-2020, 01:45 PM
IMO

rear pockets only work on jerseys because they have a tight compression fit, and keep the pocket reasonably stationary relative to the body.

a tshirt that is looser fitting, especially towards the bottom will not work well with something as heavy as a phone in it, especially mtb'ing, i think it would swing and sway all over the place and likely just call out eventually.

how about looking into a very minimalist hip pack, then wear any t-shirt you like?

I mean, some guys can pull it off :)
https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2016%2F11%2Fdwayne-johnson.jpg&q=85

jpw
09-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Has anyone found a well designed technical riding shirt (not a zip up jersey but a pullover shirt) with rear pockets? I like the idea for gravel/mtb riding when I don't need to unzip to regulate temperature, but I still need a place to put a phone/wallet/tools/etc.

I like the concept of the Velocio Micromodal Jersey but the execution seems lacking - people complain that the pockets sag and contents bounce around. They need to use different fabric for the pockets and probably reinforce them.

Kitsbow used to have some wool shirts (I have a few, like the fit) but they only had a single pocket on the back that wouldn't even hold a phone. Nowadays it looks like they are going super minimal on their shirts.

Cafe du Cycliste has their gravel shirts, I'm not crazy about the style but they seem like roughly the right idea.

What do you wear below the waist on rides with this design of shirt?

fourspin
09-02-2020, 02:14 PM
We make exactly what you're looking for in our Everjourn collection:

Ranger Mullet Jersey (https://cimacoppi.cc/en/everjourn-collection/36-178-ranger-merino-m.html)

Some of the colors are already sold out, but we can make them custom (solid color for example, and any other custom mods are always possible ie without zip.)

If you want custom, just email us.

Nice collection! Thanks for bringing to my attention.

fourspin
09-02-2020, 02:16 PM
What do you wear below the waist on rides with this design of shirt?

Would vary - either bibs or baggies.

Plum Hill
09-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Back in the dark ages of mountain biking (1980s), we rode all the time with cotton t-shirts that had three back pockets. The top of the pocket had elastic in the hem. I don’t recall anyone losing anything from the pockets.
I believe they were from Performance.

jpw
09-03-2020, 02:15 AM
Would vary - either bibs or baggies.

I ride liner bibs with back pockets under a style of more fitted 'baggy' short if I'm wearing a more relaxed top with no back pockets. Works well for me. I don't think a looser fitting top with back pockets will ever be a good experience. The pockets will always sag and billow and contents will shift around, and possibly even fall out.

rain dogs
09-03-2020, 04:29 AM
I don't think a looser fitting top with back pockets is ever be a good experience. The pockets will always sag and billow and contents will shift around, and possibly even fall out.

Of course a looser fitting shirt will not hold things compressed to the body like a tight jersey, but what you and Angry describe doesn't happen if the shirt is well designed. And if you are a fan of back pockets it works really well.

- Nothing falls out of the pockets.
- The pockets don't billow.
- If the zip pocket (for the phone) is in the center, then weight is balanced and doesn't swing around to one side like shirts with an asymmetrical or single pocket.
- Then from there, you can just put all your items balanced in the pockets by weight.

I regularly wear the above Ranger jersey, it's lightweight merino and still supports a good amount. I always have my phone (in the center zip), my keys, my wallet in the pockets... and have never been worried about those valuables falling out. The other pockets often carry a gilet/arm warmers etc. and it all stays in place as can be seen in this photo. I even have my arm up in to take the pic, torso twisted as my hands aren't on the hoods. If all the contents flop around and fall to one side, they would be doing so then.

https://cimacoppi.cc/641-large_default/ranger-merino-m.jpg

Would I recommend carrying a full water bottle or other very heavy items? No. But your valuables, and any quick-access-while-riding items, for sure.

David in Maine
09-03-2020, 10:45 AM
I second the Giro merino shirt mentioned above. I've used one for awhile, especially touring when I want to blend with the regular folks. Carrying a phone etc. is perfectly comfortable.

David

fourspin
09-03-2020, 10:50 AM
Of course a looser fitting shirt will not hold things compressed to the body like a tight jersey, but what you and Angry describe doesn't happen if the shirt is well designed. And if you are a fan of back pockets it works really well.

- Nothing falls out of the pockets.
- The pockets don't billow.
- If the zip pocket (for the phone) is in the center, then weight is balanced and doesn't swing around to one side like shirts with an asymmetrical or single pocket.
- Then from there, you can just put all your items balanced in the pockets by weight.

I regularly wear the above Ranger jersey, it's lightweight merino and still supports a good amount. I always have my phone (in the center zip), my keys, my wallet in the pockets... and have never been worried about those valuables falling out. The other pockets often carry a gilet/arm warmers etc. and it all stays in place as can be seen in this photo. I even have my arm up in to take the pic, torso twisted as my hands aren't on the hoods. If all the contents flop around and fall to one side, they would be doing so then.

https://cimacoppi.cc/641-large_default/ranger-merino-m.jpg

Would I recommend carrying a full water bottle or other very heavy items? No. But your valuables, and any quick-access-while-riding items, for sure.

Great picture, and good thoughts on proper design and loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourspin
09-03-2020, 10:54 AM
I second the Giro merino shirt mentioned above. I've used one for awhile, especially touring when I want to blend with the regular folks. Carrying a phone etc. is perfectly comfortable.

David

Giro had some pretty nice pieces from that era. I think that was when Alex Valdman ran their design. Then he took over design at Rapha, and just recently he moved to Allbirds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk