PDA

View Full Version : up-grading my mid 90's brifters?

tbushnel
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I moved up to 10sp (Campy) awhile ago and have been happy using my DT shifters. I was thinking though that I might want to use brifters again. The ones that I have are mid 90's. They were originally 8sp, then upgraded to 9sp.

I wanted to know is it possible to get a 10sp ratchet thing for the right brifter and how much would it be to have it done? Anybody here good at that sort of thing? Maybe I should just buy some 10sp brifters, but I just hate the carbon stuff (not trying to offend anyone).

Cheers,
Ted.

obtuse
02-04-2007, 09:46 PM
can be done. it sucks and requires alot of machining of the internals to get the junk to fit in there. don't do it unless you really can't live with the shape of the new junk. the newer round lever shape does suck; don't get me wrong but its alot better than sram or shimano imho/ i didn't think i could but i got used to it.

jan ullrich used the old pointy hoods with ten speed guts and carbon blades....

obtuse

fogrider
02-05-2007, 01:38 AM
can be done. it sucks and requires alot of machining of the internals to get the junk to fit in there. don't do it unless you really can't live with the shape of the new junk. the newer round lever shape does suck; don't get me wrong but its alot better than sram or shimano imho/ i didn't think i could but i got used to it.

jan ullrich used the old pointy hoods with ten speed guts and carbon blades....

obtuse

machining of the internals? you have got to be kidding!

I have refused to go to 10 speed...I mean what do you get anyway? sure its another gear, but its not like it extends the range of gears you get. what you get is a chain that doesn't last as long and cost more. no thanks, 9 speed is just fine with me. btw, there is was an comment from Lenard Zinn on velonews about 10 speed chains failing on the road, so carry a masterlink and a chain tool.