DGMcGinty
02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow !

Elefantino
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Better than life itself.

Chris
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
He is going to outlive all of us. I think that performance made him immortal if he wasn't already.

don'TreadOnMe
02-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Dude got rude.
Once the dew rag came off, 'twas time to throw down.

Fixed
02-04-2007, 09:34 PM
lame imho bro

Korn Julio
02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
That purple, paisley, pipsqueak of pop rules. :banana:

don'TreadOnMe
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Yo Fixed, I'm picking it up.
If I may ask, what would you _really_ like to see/hear during 1/2time of the Stupor Bowl?

Fixed
02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
bro tele's don;t have whammy bars
how about vernon reid .for one real cat
proud mary sounded like a wedding band
all along the watch tower jimii must have been rolling over imho
to each his own though
cheers

dave thompson
02-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Fluff.

IXXI
02-04-2007, 10:19 PM
One of the better halftime shows in recent memory (if you have to have one, that is). And damn but the Purple One's still got it.

Russell
02-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I've seen Prince put on some amazing shows; that wasn't one of them.

OldDog
02-05-2007, 08:13 AM
My wife dragged me to a Prince show a few years back when he breezed through town. Worst show I haver, and mean ever, seen. Prince was off stage 3/4 of the time, allowing his back up gals and some fat dude to sing.
Media next day quoted Prince as saying our venue was to small for him to be bothered with. I think maybe last nights show was like the amature commercials, lowest bidder got the job.

Serpico
02-05-2007, 08:16 AM

how about vernon reid .for one real cat

fixed, you like bad brains also?

Chad Engle
02-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Wasn't too impressed, not a huge fan of Prince, but he does his own thing and generally does it well.

FWIW he was playing in the pouring rain. Was that a huge lightning strike right when he started?

michael white
02-05-2007, 08:24 AM
didn't lip synch, possibly a first for a Superbowl

looked fitter than most of the players.

he was a lot better than the game.

Fixed
02-05-2007, 08:32 AM
keraoke imho cheers
b.b. cool dub trio cool too imho

Bill Bove
02-05-2007, 08:48 AM
The chamber of commerce just informed me that that was puple liquid sunshine yesterday.

Birddog
02-05-2007, 08:52 AM
didn't lip synch, possibly a first for a Superbowl

He might not have been lip syncing, but there were clearly a couple times when he stopped playing the guitar, but the guitar went on WO him. I'm with fixed, it was Karaoke, and cover tunes at that. Would that be considered a "wardrobe malfunction" when he tossed his do rag?

Birddog

Ray
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Jeez guys - remember this was just a frickin' HALFTIME SHOW. I thought he did it as well as you can do a SuperBowl halftime show. It wasn't his best concert but how could it be - it was a really quick medley showing a bunch of his styles (and he's got a BUNCH) in a predictably disjointed way.

If you don't like Prince to begin with, that's another question. But if you like him, to compare a quickie like last night with a full-length performance is pretty unfair. Me, I like him and thought he did just fine last night. Although I gotta say, the duet he did with Beyonce a couple/few years ago at the Grammies was better - smokin hot, that was.

-Ray

Fixed
02-05-2007, 09:40 AM
bro granted i'm not a fan even in the 80's but i have to say music on t.v. is rare these days .. so any music is better than no music ,imho

have any of you cats heard hank williams iii ?
I'm not a fan but he is his own man imho
cheers

Tony Edwards
02-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I thought it was pretty awesome, especially given that he was playing in the rain. Prince is certainly one of the greatest musical talents of my lifetime. It sounded like the third guitar (that weird Prince glyph one) was out of tune, though.

Tom
02-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Go see live music. We saw The Holmes Brothers and Shemekia Copeland this weekend. I like gospel harmonies, and those guys have voices. They also take other people's tunes and make it sound like they wrote them. I love that.

Shemekia Copeland has a voice and she knows how to use it. She sang The Ghetto Child without a mike and blew the roof off the theater.

Next up - Eliza Gylkison (Sp?) and Mary Gauthier, then Little Ed and the Blues Imperials.

coylifut
02-05-2007, 10:12 AM
put me in the camp that enjoyed it. considering how gawd-aweful 1/2 time shows are, that was quite good in comparison.

onyourleft
02-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Just crank up the sustain/pre-amp drive on your amp and start flailing away - makes you sound like you can play wicked gee-tar even though you're barely mediocre . :rolleyes:

The younger crowd acted like they'd never heard 'Purple Rain' before (probably didn't). That one didn't go over too well IMO.

Serpico
02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo153x23.gif

A Noncontroversial Prince, Just the Way the N.F.L. Likes Him

By Kelefa Sanneh

A brief concert in the middle of the Super Bowl, on a temporary stage, designed to thrill a captive audience with nothing in common except a love of sport or spectacle, or both. How could that ever be a good idea? Then, just when it seemed time to give up on that quaint ritual known as the halftime show, along comes Prince.

His performance last night at Super Bowl XLI will surely go down as one of the most thrilling halftime shows ever; certainly the most unpredictable, and perhaps the best. “Dearly beloved,” he whispered, intoning the famous first words of “Let’s Go Crazy.” ...

NY Times link (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/sports/football/05halftime.html?ei=5090&en=a8c03dcb2cd05a15&ex=1328331600&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print)

DRZRM
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I think there are at least two different questions being discussed here: 1 whether people like Prince, 2 if his show was good in terms of recent SB HT performances.

I think Prince is an incredibly talented performer, and I think he kicked a$$ last night. Was his performance up there with Superbowl greats like John Goodman covering the Blues Brothers (1997), Phil Collins (2001), New Kids on the Block (1991), N'Sync (2001), Gloria Estefan (1992 & 2000) or the ice skating extravaganza of Dorithy Hamill & Brian Boitano (1992...ugg, I just threw up in my mouth a bit), only time will tell.

I'm just pumped that he was playing live, and the fact that his sustain/pre-amp was up...is that supposed to suggest that he is a "barely mediocre" guitarist?

gdw
02-05-2007, 11:57 AM
After watching the Stones and Prince, I'm just glad that I probably won't live long enough to watch the Britany Spears halftime extravaganza 30 years from now.

Russell
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
fixed, you like bad brains also?

Have you seen the Bad Brains Live at CBGB DVD? Smokin' hot show.

I've seen both the Bad Brains (3 times) and Living Colour; Vernon Reid and Dr. Know are guitar gods.

pdxbikeboy
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
people downplaying prince's abilities as a guitarist, you are all entitled to your opinions. Prince is easily one of the greatest guitarists to EVER pick up a guitar. period. If you you doubt me, I would be happy to burn you a few live CDs of his in order to gain a little perspective.

He is one of the best artists/musicians/composers of our time. That being said, I felt the SB halftime show was an odd fit from the time it was announced he would be playing. His performance was real, ragged, spontaneous and affected by the rain. He had to put together ten minutes of music that would entertain millions of viewers of all ages. He did it all: his old eighties hits, sixties anthems (proud mary, watchtower), and current pop (foo fighters cover). And, he incorporated a marching band. All of this adds up to a great performance, not spectaular, but real solid. atmo.
pdxbikeboy

Fat Robert
02-05-2007, 12:38 PM
ok

super bowl = corporate conformity cluster-f--k

prince = on autopilot since 1988 (i blame kim basinger)

given the definition of the superbowl halftime show as the ultimate LCD money-shot-money-grab for music acts, anybody who is selected to play sucks.

pdxbikeboy
02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I forgot to post this link in my previous post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDGkKqFLoI

enjoy.

petitelilpettit
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
ok

super bowl = corporate conformity cluster-f--k

prince = on autopilot since 1988 (i blame kim basinger)

given the definition of the superbowl halftime show as the ultimate LCD money-shot-money-grab for music acts, anybody who is selected to play sucks.

Not to mention Billy Joel doing a terrible job of the Star Spangled Banner. I seriously had my dogs barking at the television.

Pettit

Ray
02-05-2007, 12:55 PM

enjoy.
Nice link - thanks for that! Petty looked like he wished Prince would shut up but Harrison's son was clearly getting off on it. He shredded the more 'in the pocket' solos the older white guys played.

Just goes to show - I can turn up the fuzz/gain on my guitar and play some seriously poor to mediocre wicked gee-tar that will sound good to the average non-listener for about 30 seconds before they figure out I'm not playing anything. Prince turns up the fuzz/gain and takes the song up the next several levels. Because he can play.

-Ray

Ozz
02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I thought we were going to discuss Pinarellos....

I missed the game and half-time show....

I went for a ride instead....wet, but no rain.

Fixed
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
bro 3 finger playin and showmanship = great
greatest player ever I think that is a joke and a insult to
grant and wes and charlie .bros who were real artest not sideshow clowns .
I love music more than anything except family
bikes are in the top 5 .
cheers

SponsorsWanted
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM
cheers

I am a fan, and I wish the Hank III trend of being unique would catch on. By the way, in case you didn't know Hendrix didn't write All Along The Watchtower, Dylan did... I REALLY hope you knew that.

Fixed
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
bro everyone knows that .
i would have like to seen h w 3 there last night too cos i have demons too
cheers

onyourleft
02-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Yep. The Dude Formerly Known As Prince (?) ranks right up there with Santana, D. Gilmour, Joe Pass, J. Page, G. Benson, S. Howe, and all the rest.

NOT. :crap:

catulle
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM

enjoy.

BRAVO...!!! BRAVO...!!! Thank you...!! One of the best ten songs ever, wonderfully expressed. Maybe Prince ought to wear that red hat more often. Thank you...!!!

BUTCH RIDES
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Hello , I would have to say that I was dancing all over my living room .the best musician I have ever seen .I just went to my tailor and got fitted for a suit like that young man was wearing .
Remember it is not how well you ride ,it is how well you look riding .
adios

davids
02-05-2007, 02:12 PM

enjoy.
I did, thanks.

Maybe they just should have shown this clip. And the marching band could have played along?

obtuse
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Hello , I would have to say that I was dancing all over my living room .the best musician I have ever seen .I just went to my tailor and got fitted for a suit like that young man was wearing .
Remember it is not how well you ride ,it is how well you look riding .
adios

this man speaks a great truth we are all scared of admitting.

obtuse

Russell
02-05-2007, 02:25 PM
cheers

I am a fan, and I wish the Hank III trend of being unique would catch on. By the way, in case you didn't know Hendrix didn't write All Along The Watchtower, Dylan did... I REALLY hope you knew that.

I've seen him a couple of times at The Black Cat in DC. Puts on a great show; though when he comes out for the Death Metal part of the show I have to put in my ear plugs -- VERY LOUD.

davids
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
OK, here's a TV performance worth remembering: The Gold Standard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYp_c_7Rkgk), atmo.

When I first saw this it left me sitting at the edge of my chair, open-mouthed and grinning at the same time.

Enjoy.

CNY rider
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM
So are my wife and I the ONLY ones that watched the Puppy Bowl during the halftime and the endless lame-*** commercials?

C'mon now, somebody fess up. Sandy perhaps?

William
02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
He may be a good gee-tar player...but best ever? I don't think he could touch SRV...atmo of course.

William

coylifut
02-05-2007, 02:39 PM
why y'all hatin on Prince - at least he saved us from watching the anemic Mick Jager and whats left of Keith Richards.

coylifut
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
OK, here's a TV performance worth remembering: The Gold Standard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYp_c_7Rkgk), atmo.

When I first saw this it left me sitting at the edge of my chair, open-mouthed and grinning at the same time.

Enjoy.

clearly one of those performances that he wishes he could shove back in the bottle.

PanTerra
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
After Superbowl XII, halftime shows started to corkscrew into the ground. :banana:

davids
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
clearly one of those performances that he wishes he could shove back in the bottle.
I don't think so:

http://www.expectingrain.com/dok/int/grammiesspeech.html

http://threepennyreview.com/samples/marcus_w06.html

pdxbikeboy
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
... I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. I too have seen hankIII and assjack a few times and I agree he is his own man. I have a real appreciation for wes and charlie and their inspirations as well. I guess I just identify more with Prince because he is closer to my generation. I identify more with "feeling" players than great technicians. I love robbie robertson (not a great guitar player) because he really speaks to me. same with buddy guy. prince really took a lot from buddy, vocally and guitar-wise.

this should illustrate my point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9teojBfh7NQ

enjoy. pdxbikeboy

manet
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
without the blues this whole place would be sufficated by plaid

Fixed
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
bro you might like the ice man albert collins
guy used to be muddy's man cool vid thanks
cheers

coylifut
02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
... I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. I too have seen hankIII and assjack a few times and I agree he is his own man. I have a real appreciation for wes and charlie and their inspirations as well. I guess I just identify more with Prince because he is closer to my generation. I identify more with "feeling" players than great technicians. I love robbie robertson (not a great guitar player) because he really speaks to me. same with buddy guy. prince really took a lot from buddy, vocally and guitar-wise.

this should illustrate my point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9teojBfh7NQ

enjoy. pdxbikeboy

way cool vid. thanks

pdxbikeboy
02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
thanks, the iceman is a bada$$ mofo. i love his stuff.

one last vid for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uv-18oG9AE

I'm sorry, but you can't f*ck with steve cropper, duck dunn, jackson jr. best rhythm section EVER.

Ok, I'm done, no more music posts. Let's talk about bikes.
PdxBikeBoy

crossjunkee
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Prince did a great job for a half time performance in the rain.

The Florida A & M marching band also deserves props, they did a great job too!

Ray
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
one last vid for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uv-18oG9AE

I'm sorry, but you can't f*ck with steve cropper, duck dunn, jackson jr. best rhythm section EVER.

Damn right, and that video perfectly illustrates the point that it's not about technial proficiency. Check out Cropper's solo when they do a closeup of his picking hand. There couldn't be less technique or speed or fewer notes in that solo - it's ALL about feel and sound which he had/has mountains of.

FWIW, I wouldn't put Prince in the same league as the true guitar innovators like Hendix, Montgomery, Christian, etc, either, but I'd put him in that next tier down of fine players who've incorporated their influences enough to develop their own sounds. I'll generally know its Prince within a few seconds and there just aren't that many players who get to that point of having their own identifiable style.

I'm done too.

-Ray

david
02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
the twins.
the twins.

rePhil
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
You can fit all I know about playing music in a thimble. But I do know that I like Prince's music, and I enjoyed the halftime show for what it was.

chrisroph
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
great reason for tivo. superbowl halftime shows generally suck. my most memorable superbowl halftime related moment was when somebody asked james brown if he was going to play with arrowsmith and he said are you crazy my stuff is too complex for those guys.

prince couldn't carry buddy guy's guitar case. he's not bad for a popster, but hardly up there.

i have to admit though that the phallic guitar silhouette was a showman's touch.

if you like acoustic music, try some chris thile. mandolin wizard, the 2 cd's with mike marshall are mandolin explosions. after i saw the 2 of them together on the small stage at the aladdin in portland, there was not much to say, kind of like when the mccoy tyner trio played there a few years back.

rePhil
02-05-2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1AegGKjY0

Fixed
02-05-2007, 07:00 PM
mccoy one note is all you need to know it's him .
i have been a fan of his my whole life .
my parents were musicans
cheers

saab2000
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I like Prince. AFAIK, he usually plays all the instruments on his CDs.

FWIW, because of having lived in Minneapolis and having hung out with some music types from my college, I know a guy who has met Roger Nelson (AKA Prince, Symbol, and the artist formerly known as Prince) a couple of times. There is evidently a normal (though very bright) guy behind that showman.

I like Prince and like his music.

So there.

catulle
02-05-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1AegGKjY0

I want to marry the girls with the short skirts, atmo...

manet
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
carnegie hall, "battle of the pianos", mccoy vs. eddie palmieri.
just the two of them. each at opposing pianos. eddie was fighting
for his life from the getgo. back + forth. forth + back. each riffing
off the other. music goes by _ eddie can't land a punch _ finally
he has his band creep out on stage... one and two at a time.
still can't stop the bleeding. 'til finally, with his WHOLE latin jazz band
out on stage, they drown out mccoy. friggin' 25 guys against mccoy.
mccoyplays into them as if they were his sidemen. long time ago.

atmo
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
prince gets fired by rabobank atmo - (http://www.gettingit.com/article/575)

chrisroph
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
mccoy is something special, try new york reunion. the trio at the aladdin was monumentous from the first note to the last. nobody plays quite like mccoy.

atmo
02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
w gets fired by rabobank atmo - (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVynnbx1Xsc)

Jeff N.
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Prince was good, but I grossly misjudged Rex Grossman's ineptitude, that's for sure. I'm surprised he wasn't benched in favor of...who's the Bears backup? Griese? Gosh, he couldn'tve done any worse, that's for sure! Jeff N.
Campy: Billy Joel
Dura Ace: Jerry Lee Lewis

yeehawfactor
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
we like prince
http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=60068&__source=SIVideo&par=SIVideo

Tom
02-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Campy: Billy Joel
Dura Ace: Jerry Lee Lewis

Campy: Allen Toussaint
Dura Ace: Professor Longhair

They're both good. Grossman, on the other hand, is not yet.

catulle
02-06-2007, 05:46 AM
w gets fired by rabobank atmo - (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVynnbx1Xsc)

Too much. POTUS. Lordy...!!!