PDA

View Full Version : Pulled LeMond Poprad from trash...

BRnPA
09-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Hi. I'm new to this site and I need some advice. On Saturday, my neighbor tossed an older LeMond Poprad in the outgoing trash. Since both of my current bikes (MTX and Road) are from last century, I was compelled to grab it. After spending a few hours on Sunday cleaning it and massaging a lot of TriFlow into the rusted chain, I was able to test ride it. Rode well but I needed to adjust the front derailleur, which I did. Here are my questions:
1. Is this bike too small for me? I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs. and the bike has a "Remove at time of sale" 52cm sticker. Seems a little small from what I've been reading about proper frame sizes for my height. If I straddle the bike, the top tube is about an inch from my groin, about the same as my MTX.
2. If it's too small, can I adjust the handle bars (with spacers) and seat to work for my height?
3. Am I dreaming and this bike is a tad too small and I should hand it over to my wife to ride? :)

I'm sure I'll have additional questions but these are the ones I've been contemplating. Thanks!

robt57
09-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Way too small IMO.

vav
09-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Too small. Since you put some time into it, flip it and buy a proper sized bike with the funds. Have fun and good luck :banana:

and welcome to the forum too ;)

rcnute
09-01-2020, 12:25 PM
Trash find of the year! Sad that it was put there to be begin with, but lucky for you!

Probably one size too small for you.

Someone here will buy it.

Ryan

robt57
09-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Look close around the welds and the BB seatube junction etc. And the DT shifter and water bottle bosses for cracks.

It might have been tossed due to a crack or failed weld.

GregL
09-01-2020, 12:33 PM
Definitely one of the best dumpster dives I've seen in a while! I suspect it's a little bit small for you. For reference, I'm 6' tall with short legs for my height. I ride a size 55 Poprad and find it fits me well and handles wonderfully. Attached photo of the bike in it's native habitat...

Greg

Jaybee
09-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Look close around the welds and the BB seatube junction etc. And the DT shifter and water bottle bosses for cracks.

It might have been tossed due to a crack or failed weld.

This for sure.

But if it's not cracked, pass it along to your wife or flip it. You're a 55 or maybe a 57 in Lemond geometry, depending on how flexible you are and your proportions.

Ken Robb
09-01-2020, 12:39 PM
By the numbers I would say you need a bigger bike BUT--if you were comfy riding it with that saddle height maybe not. Lots of folks ride with saddle-to-bar drop like that or more. That riser stem suggests that the previous owner might have found it a bit small himself because it surely doesn't look to have many miles on the bike.

zambenini
09-01-2020, 12:44 PM
That position looks fine to me, if it feels comfortable to you. I ride like humongous bar drop because I have stilts for legs, so take what I say about bike fit with salt.

Edit: Also, congratulations - if it's not cracked, you scored several hundred dollar boost to your bike budget if you have to sell. :banana: I have a friend who will buy it probably right now if you need to sell, color me first in line.

slowpoke
09-01-2020, 12:54 PM
Looks like you scored a 2002 Poprad! If you look at the geo chart for the Poprad, a "52" has a 54.5 top tube. So it's a smidge small by the numbers, but hey if it fits, it fits.

Lemond catalog: http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher-Klein-Lemond/2002lemond.pdf

CDM
09-01-2020, 01:01 PM
Way too small for you but ......Clean 39t could make it work

mhespenheide
09-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Check for damage.

It's probably too small for you, by at least a size if not two sizes.

On the other hand, if you're comfortable with the saddle and bars in those positions, you could probably make it work.

But really, fit is so important that even if the bike is free, consider trading it or giving it to your wife.

They are great bikes, though! If it's not damaged, it's a score.

robt57
09-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Way too small for you but ......Clean 39t could make it work

:banana:

160mm Stem will do it!

Often I find it more doable to push smaller size on bike with longer WB, CS, and Front Center like that, whereas with Road Race geom. too small is usually too 39t, err small....

If it is too small, just, I suggest taking the nose dwon tilt of the saddle and try tip slightly high instead. Assume not tweaked just yet for the pic.

Pegoready
09-01-2020, 01:15 PM
SCORE! I'd be buzzing for a week if I scored a bike like that.

If it still has the frame size sticker chances are it was barely ridden. It sure looks mint.

If you're 5'11" you're on the outer edges of fitting that bike but a) Lemonds had long top tubes and b) cross bikes are supposed to fit a little small for short, intense cross races which you may or may not be doing. If that's your saddle height as pictured it doesn't look terrible tho.

You could strip it down and sell the frame for $300 on eBay with a little patience and buy yourself something that fits. The Sora parts aren't worth much and probably detract from the frame.

buddybikes
09-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Ride it till you get your Moots or Firefly order comes in!

What condition is your old bikes in? Are you a wrench'r? You could do some component swaps.

dddd
09-01-2020, 01:33 PM
A bike that is this small for the rider will actually seem to fit fine while the rider keeps their hands on the hoods, but not the drops.

There is also some likelihood of the rider's knee hitting the top portion of the handlebar while riding up off of the saddle.

If the latter concern does not apply, then this bike might work out ok because the SORA lever configuration disfavors use of the drops as far as having to shift in both directions.

I say just do a few rides on it, and if it works, it works!

RonW87
09-01-2020, 01:40 PM
If the seatpost is at the correct height for you in the pics, put me firmly in the "slightly small but perfectly rideable" camp. I think you could even flip the stem to help stretch out. You might post a pic with you on the bike and that would help the peanut gallery assess the fit.

Many pros ride with way more seatpost showing. As said above, throw a 130 or even 140 stem on there and call it good.

C40_guy
09-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Great find!

This is a 'cross frame. It's supposed to be a bit small...

d_douglas
09-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Too small, but crazy find!! Why doesnt that happen to me ?!? As someone mentioned, just sell it and buy something a size bigger. Hopefully the same excellent frame.

rain dogs
09-01-2020, 03:00 PM
Hand it over to your wife...

but inspect the heck out of it, because her face is more valuable than that bike.

BRnPA
09-01-2020, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I checked it over well. No weld cracks. The guy who threw it out is moving so I think he's just getting rid of stuff. My other bikes are a Peugeot 27-inch 12-speed from the early '80s (maybe late '70s). Steel frame but many of the parts are aluminum. MTX is a 21-inch Schwinn Sierra from 1991. Probably 90% original. Just won't die. I ride it all the time. What I may do is take this bike for a test ride once I adjust the seat and stem to see if it's a comfortable ride. If it's not, I'll sell it. I'll let everyone know. Probably try to get out over the weekend. Really appreciate the replies from everyone. Thanks.

weisan
09-01-2020, 03:21 PM
A bike that is this small for the rider will actually seem to fit fine while the rider keeps their hands on the hoods, but not the drops.

There is also some likelihood of the rider's knee hitting the top portion of the handlebar while riding up off of the saddle.

If the latter concern does not apply, then this bike might work out ok because the SORA lever configuration disfavors use of the drops as far as having to shift in both directions.

I say just do a few rides on it, and if it works, it works!

We are on the same page

m_sasso
09-01-2020, 03:42 PM
Nice find. Please let me know if you put it up for sale, interested in purchasing, thanks!

warren128
09-01-2020, 03:46 PM
You lucky guy! Poprads are hard enough to find on the used market, never mind getting one for free. I bought my 2003 Wayzata (same as Poprad) frameset earlier in the year for a few hundred $$$. :banana:

DeBike
09-01-2020, 04:05 PM
I have a 2003 Poprad that is in really good shape and is too big for me. Interested in a trade? I live in south coastal Delaware, near Bethany Beach. I can get a couple of pics and post them in this thread, or email them to you.

rwsaunders
09-01-2020, 04:08 PM
6’-2” and I ride a 59cm Poprad.

GregL
09-01-2020, 04:45 PM
While not exactly having a "cult" following, Poprads are definitely popular. They really are more of an "all-road" bike than a true cyclocross bike (IMO). They have a comparatively low bottom bracket, long top tube, slightly longer chainstays, and geometry more like a classic road bike. I find my Poprad to be my favorite bike for descending through twisty hairpin turns. Now add in the capability to run tires up to ~38mm wide and you have a very versatile bike! Mine has been used for cyclocross, gravel riding/racing, and general road riding. It's the perfect vacation bike for me; two sets of wheels/tires (road and gravel) and I can ride a wide variety of terrain while traveling.

Greg

pdmtong
09-01-2020, 04:47 PM
I have a 2003 Poprad that is in really good shape and is too big for me. Interested in a trade? I live in south coastal Delaware, near Bethany Beach. I can get a couple of pics and post them in this thread, or email them to you.

The OP has two posts and boom, he's right into the way the forum can work. You gotta love that!

Also, who bins a bike? at least donate it ...

Whit51
09-01-2020, 05:56 PM
The Lemond Technical Manual on the Vintage Trek site lists rider height for the size 52 Poprad as 70.2 inches and for size 55 71.8 inches. That puts you in the upper range for the 52. Poprads are not sized like road bikes. According to the chart you're not quite tall enough for a 55. I'm 5'9'' and ride 54 to 56 cm road bikes, but my 52 cm 02 Poprad fits me fine. So if it feels good ride it.

soupless
09-01-2020, 06:10 PM
It's one size too small for you but it's an awesome bike and that's the best color. I'm 5'11" and a 55 Poprad might as well be a custom.
Keep it for your wife or give it to a someone for a present.

mistermo
09-01-2020, 06:36 PM
I've had numerous Poprads. While they have long reaches (saddle to bars), they have short stacks (handlebar height). This is why you almost always see them with the stems pointed upwards. I'm 6'3" and dabbled with a 57, but landed on 59cm as the perfect size. My bro-in-law is 6'0" and rides a 57cm. Count me among those who think 52 is too small.

I say to anyone, "If I could have only ONE bike, and it had to cost less than $1000, it would be a Poprad". Not sure what pushes a bike into "cult" status, but given the loyal following of Poprads, I think they're their. There's not many other nearly 20yr old, mass produced bikes that have held their value so well.

Assuming it's not damaged or infected with Covid, this ranks as a supreme score!

mhespenheide
09-01-2020, 07:18 PM
6’-2” and I ride a 59cm Poprad.

6'4" and I feel like I made a mistake selling my 59cm Poprad.

Geeheeb
09-01-2020, 07:51 PM
I love my poprad

https://i.ibb.co/Z2znvHW/poprad.jpg (https://ibb.co/HhTWRNn)

BRnPA
09-01-2020, 08:09 PM

DeBike- Thanks. I just PM'd you.

mistermo
09-01-2020, 09:01 PM
I love my poprad

Would you please post a close up of the stem, headset and spacer setup you have there?

Geeheeb
09-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Yes I will, but its the 100mm Velo Orange tall stack stem: https://velo-orange.com/collections/stems/products/vo-tall-stack-threadless-stem-31-8-rise

Bars were 48cm nitto noodle, but I put 46cm bars on recently and want to get a 110 version of the same stem.

Also considering going to the red soma fog cutter carbon fork since it is cheap AF right now.

robt57
09-01-2020, 09:10 PM
There are times I wish I had not let the white 59 canti one go:

The disc one was a 57 I was left very unimpressed with. Very weak rear wheels, 130 spaced disc was a mistake.

Between sizes pretty much.

ridethecliche
09-01-2020, 09:42 PM
OP where in the Philly burbs are you?

My parents live in bucks County and gf lives in Philly. I'm in the area pretty often. I can come take a look at the bike and help you inspect and adjust it if you'd like.

Ride it in good health!

warren128
09-01-2020, 09:43 PM
The OP has two posts and boom, he's right into the way the forum can work. You gotta love that!

Also, who bins a bike? at least donate it ...

That's what I was thinking, what a waste to bin it. I'm glad it was saved. :)

BTW, I'm 5'10", and I ride a 55cm Wayzata with a 100mm VO Tall Stack stem, and my two Lemond road bikes are also 55cm.

http://www.fototime.com/DF5B9527A9EDE62/large.jpg

peanutgallery
09-01-2020, 10:28 PM
You have to interview the neighbor and find out why they tossed it? It's quite a treasure

I'm going with... they couldn't get past the fact that it was lacking disc brakes, flat mounts and thru axles:)

For the record, it's too small for the OP

weisan
09-02-2020, 12:05 AM
I don't believe your neighbor actually "tossed" it.

They laid it outside intentionally knowing that someone will pick it up.

It saves them a trip.

It ensures the bike finds the "right" new owner based on karma.

Everything has happened just as planned. :D

soupless
09-02-2020, 01:53 AM
That's what I was thinking, what a waste to bin it. I'm glad it was saved. :)

BTW, I'm 5'10", and I ride a 55cm Wayzata with a 100mm VO Tall Stack stem, and my two Lemond road bikes are also 55cm.

http://www.fototime.com/DF5B9527A9EDE62/large.jpg

Nice bike! I want a silver and blue Wayzata more than any other LeMond.

rwsaunders
09-02-2020, 10:07 AM
https://i.imgur.com/KWmQOaXh.jpg

Poprad for President.

BRnPA
09-03-2020, 08:31 AM
OP where in the Philly burbs are you?

My parents live in bucks County and gf lives in Philly. I'm in the area pretty often. I can come take a look at the bike and help you inspect and adjust it if you'd like.

Ride it in good health!

I'm not too far from King of Prussia.

DeBike
09-04-2020, 07:39 PM
I am meeting up with the OP, BRnPA, and we are trading Poprads, his 52cm for my 55cm. We are meeting at about the halfway point between our homes and doing the deal. I bought mine used and knew it was a bit too big at that time, but I made it work. However, I have not been riding it much with the size being a big part of that.

I spent a good portion of this afternoon switching components from the the Ultegra 6500 it had been upgraded to, back to 9 speed Sora, which was the original group. His also has Sora 9 on it. I got in a short test ride and it is all running smoothly. I am taking the fenders and a couple of accessories to give to him, if he wants them.

I will pull the Sora off the one I am trading for, replace it with the 6500 I have, and use the Sora for an errands/chore bike that I had my Sora on.

It looks like this is going to be a beneficial transaction for both of us. Ya gotta love it. Another perk from being a Paceline member.

A picture of mine before swapping out components.

peanutgallery
09-04-2020, 08:08 PM
Kismet on the trade

I like the older graphics on yours, reminder of the good old days of 10 Seed Drive

I am meeting up with the OP, BRnPA, and we are trading Poprads, his 52cm for my 55cm. We are meeting at about the halfway point between our homes and doing the deal. I bought mine used and knew it was a bit too big at that time, but I made it work. However, I have not been riding it much with the size being a big part of that.

I spent a good portion of this afternoon switching components from the the Ultegra 6500 it had been upgraded to, back to 9 speed Sora, which was the original group. His also has Sora 9 on it. I got in a short test ride and it is all running smoothly. I am taking the fenders and a couple of accessories to give to him, if he wants them.

I will pull the Sora off the one I am trading for, replace it with the 6500 I have, and use the Sora for an errands/chore bike that I had my Sora on.

It looks like this is going to be a beneficial transaction for both of us. Ya gotta love it. Another perk from being a Paceline member.

A picture of mine before swapping out components.

tuxbailey
09-04-2020, 08:13 PM
What a nice story for the community, everyone comes out a winner.

A free Poprad, such a score.

BRnPA
09-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Hey everyone. Met DeBike this morning and did the trade. What a great guy! Now we're both riding bikes that fit us. I want to thank everyone, including DeBike for making this happen. I can't wait to get this on the road. DeBike was very accommodating in making sure his bike was 100%. Appreciate all the help from everyone. Now I'll be bugging you with questions on what gadgets and doodads to be adding to make riding more fun. :banana:

BRnPA
09-05-2020, 10:53 AM
I love my poprad

Geeheeb - What are those handlebar ends? I haven't seen those before. Thanks.

DeBike
09-05-2020, 11:04 AM
I just got home from making the swap with BRnPA. Definitely a win for both of us. I thank him for his effort in making this happen. I am going to work on the Poprad I acquired this afternoon. Still hard to believe that he acquired this bike from a curbside pick up. It really is in very good shape.

Tomorrow is my 68th B-day and my plan is to spend most of the day on a bicycle. Hopefully, I will have this Poprad ready by then and it will be in the rotation..

It was very cool meeting up and yakking for a while, and especially cool that we benefited from each other and both came out winners. If only it was so easy more often. Thanks BRnPA!

colker
09-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Looks like shimano

ridethecliche
09-05-2020, 02:05 PM
Stoked about this trade for you guys! Congrats!

This forum rocks.

They're bar end shifters. Like older shifters on the down tube except moved so you can shift without moving your hands off the bar!

Fixed
09-05-2020, 03:41 PM
If you are 5’!1”

You need a 55 imho
Your back will thank
you
nice bike I like thE color red
Cheers

BRnPA
09-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Stoked about this trade for you guys! Congrats!

This forum rocks.

They're bar end shifters. Like older shifters on the down tube except moved so you can shift without moving your hands off the bar!

Speaking of 'not moving your hands off the bar', this is a question I asked DeBike this morning: The ancient Peugeot 14-speed I have has dual brake levers - the usual set on the tube and additional levers at the top. If I'm cruising with my wife, having hands at the top of the tube is comfortable and I want to be able to brake w/o reaching down. How can I install additional levers on the Poprad? Thanks.

Pegoready
09-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Speaking of 'not moving your hands off the bar', this is a question I asked DeBike this morning: The ancient Peugeot 14-speed I have has dual brake levers - the usual set on the tube and additional levers at the top. If I'm cruising with my wife, having hands at the top of the tube is comfortable and I want to be able to brake w/o reaching down. How can I install additional levers on the Poprad? Thanks.

Those old levers are known as "suicide levers," probably overdramatic because they work o-k when set up right. However, add in the fact that it's a big flexy metal rod, usually pulling an equally crappy lever, with crappy 10-speed era brakes and cables/housing and we quickly get to the suicide part.

These are the modern equivalent and much, much nicer since they are a dedicated lever in-line with the brake housing. It takes a little more effort to install but not much:

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/repairhelp/inlinebrake-615.jpg

BRnPA
09-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Those old levers are known as "suicide levers," probably overdramatic because they work o-k when set up right. However, add in the fact that it's a big flexy metal rod, usually pulling an equally crappy lever, with crappy 10-speed era brakes and cables/housing and we quickly get to the suicide part.

These are the modern equivalent and much, much nicer since they are a dedicated lever in-line with the brake housing. It takes a little more effort to install but not much:

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/repairhelp/inlinebrake-615.jpg

Thanks Pegoready. I like that setup much better.

DeBike
09-06-2020, 10:10 AM
I am about to make some trade wind with my new to me 2002 Poprad that I traded BRnPA for. I finished building up a short while ago, having a bite to eat and going for a shake downl ride. I have a temporary crank set on it now. I did not have a the proper BB for the DA 7700 I am putting on it. I cleaned and regreased the head set, same with the present BB. It is all 6500 that I had on the 2002.

BRnPA had done a fair amount of cleaning on the bike, but I took it to another level while I had everything pulled off of it. It has a couple of scrapes, scratches, nothing major. It is free of any kind of dent or ding. It has cleaned and polished up nicely.

First time trading a bike for a bike even up. I am pleased.

GregL
09-06-2020, 09:22 PM
Matt Kelly is selling his 1999 world junior cyclocross championship bike on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lemond-Cyclocross-Bike-1999-Junior-World-Cyclocross-Championship-Winnng-Bike/143723876730?hash=item21769c517a:g:Y64AAOSwEPtfUaK r. This was in effect the prototype for the production Poprad.

Greg

DeBike
09-07-2020, 06:05 AM
Matt Kelly is selling his 1999 world junior cyclocross championship bike on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lemond-Cyclocross-Bike-1999-Junior-World-Cyclocross-Championship-Winnng-Bike/143723876730?hash=item21769c517a:g:Y64AAOSwEPtfUaK r. This was in effect the prototype for the production Poprad.

Greg

Thanks for posting that. If one is into CX, that would be cool to have, at a what looks to be a decent price. Too big for me and I sure do not need another bike.

redir
09-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Wow what a find! I still have my '08 Poprad and race it too. Those were some good bikes back in the day for sure.

IMHO you can fit that to you. It will always be small but you can fit it out.

robt57
09-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Thanks for posting that. If one is into CX, that would be cool to have, at a what looks to be a decent price. Too big for me and I sure do not need another bike.

If he includes that jersey, I wonder what it would bid up to. ;)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NeMAAOSwQDlfUaDX/s-l1600.jpg

BRnPA
09-07-2020, 09:28 PM
I am about to make some trade wind with my new to me 2002 Poprad that I traded BRnPA for. I finished building up a short while ago, having a bite to eat and going for a shake downl ride. I have a temporary crank set on it now. I did not have a the proper BB for the DA 7700 I am putting on it. I cleaned and regreased the head set, same with the present BB. It is all 6500 that I had on the 2002.

BRnPA had done a fair amount of cleaning on the bike, but I took it to another level while I had everything pulled off of it. It has a couple of scrapes, scratches, nothing major. It is free of any kind of dent or ding. It has cleaned and polished up nicely.

First time trading a bike for a bike even up. I am pleased.

DeBike - That looks great!! So happy we could make it happen. Keep ridin'!!

Nags&Ducs
09-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Yep, what a score!

Especially since it has no structural issues!

There is a 55cm Poprad Disc with Brooks B-17 saddle for sale in the PDX area for $1200. 10 years ago, I would have likely bought it.