PDA

View Full Version : Skool me on track bikes!

Tz779
09-01-2020, 10:01 AM
PL ppl,
We have a velodrome in Rock Hill, SC! I just learned this from this forum! It is an hour and a half drive for me...not too bad.

So rulebook says track bike with NO brakes, 11.25” clearance to bottom of bottom bracket. Do all “track” frames meet this criteria? Or does one need to check with seller that their frame meets this spec?

I see lots of “NJS Keirin” track bikes on Ebay, but i have no idea if those “approved” specs meet the above requirement.
robin

FlashUNC
09-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Go down to the track, take the training class to get certified to ride, and the best route will be renting a bike from them for the course. It'll give you a sense if the track is for you without going whole hog on a purchase.

Great folks down there all.

nooneline
09-01-2020, 10:16 AM
PL ppl,
We have a velodrome in Rock Hill, SC! I just learned this from this forum! It is an hour and a half drive for me...not too bad.

So rulebook says track bike with NO brakes, 11.25” clearance to bottom of bottom bracket. Do all “track” frames meet this criteria? Or does one need to check with seller that their frame meets this spec?

I see lots of “NJS Keirin” track bikes on Ebay, but i have no idea if those “approved” specs meet the above requirement.
robin

Definitely go to the track (you know, whenever is pandemic-safe these days)! Track racing is the absolute best, and I also think it's a great experience for many cyclists to just take a Track Intro class, and have the experience of steep banking and fixed gears. I haven't raced at Rock Hill in years - while it's not my favorite track (I prefer wood), but as a facility it's among the best-equipped ones in the country.

Definitely start with a rental, and then know that it's quite easy to buy a very good, very affordable track bike once you have a sense of what you like. A track sack with a few extra chainrings and cogs is a common raceday accessory, as is a set of rollers for warm-ups and cool-downs.

When you're ready to buy a bike... I wouldn't even think to take these measurements, because any common track bike will almost certainly meet those criteria, and be sufficient to ride and race at Rock Hill. Just be a little discerning about what you buy, because obviously in the past 15 or so years a lot of bike companies have sold "track" bikes that aren't designed for track riding and racing, and make some small but noticeable compromises. Still, many many companies offer a no-nonsense, race-oriented, fairly aerodynamic aluminum track frame with a carbon fork that will well suit a beginner.

jpsawyer23
09-01-2020, 10:29 AM
What the other people said. I would definitely recommend renting at first from the velodrome if possible and getting to know the regulars. Theres a chance youll be able to buy a bike from someone who goes regularly as well. It never hurts to ask around if anyone is looking to unload a bike or has any leads on one. Good chance youll be able to find a bike/parts from someone.

pdonk
09-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Check out this thread I started a few years ago.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=162678

The advice from 11.4 was spot on.

Tz779
09-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Check out this thread I started a few years ago.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=162678

The advice from 11.4 was spot on.

yes, this is the best:
“ 10. We're doing this for our enjoyment, not to make a living. You can spend exorbitant sums, and you're welcome to if you so desire. But your pleasure in your new bike will evaporate on your first serious track workout when everyone around you points out that your position isn't right or that you didn't pick a good frame. It's important that you make decisions that make your second, third, and tenth year of track racing enjoyable, and you don't need to get bummed out in your first season. There's a lot more to learn than any track newcomer thinks, and you'll get a lot more respect for winning on a rental bike or a junker than for showing up with a fancy carbon or NJS frame and not being able to use it properly.”

thanks PL ppl! yes, i def plan on just renting a bike to begin with. and there is a big swap meet there in November if i get the bug!
robin

charliedid
09-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Go down to the track, take the training class to get certified to ride, and the best route will be renting a bike from them for the course. It'll give you a sense if the track is for you without going whole hog on a purchase.

Great folks down there all.

Ding Ding Ding!

shrimp123
09-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Go down to the track, take the training class to get certified to ride

do you know of any nearby? I am in East Bay and the nearest i could find is in San Jose.

nublar
09-01-2020, 11:47 AM
You need to check with the seller. I'd say the most popular are the Felt TK series and the Fuji Track series - can't go wrong with either.

Remember there is a minimum speed for the turns ~19 mph. If you are gassed and don't meet this speed you will slide off the bank and ruin your shorts =D

FlashUNC
09-01-2020, 11:54 AM
do you know of any nearby? I am in East Bay and the nearest i could find is in San Jose.

San Jose is sadly the closest. I was lucky enough living in Atlanta and Charlotte to be near some great velodromes, and I hear Hellyer is also great, but San Jose during rush hour traffic from here might as well be the moon.

FWIW, track racing is the most fun I've had on a bike, bar none. Way safer than crit racing and Tuesday nights at Dick Lane are some of my fondest cycling memories. And flying 200s are hella fun.

Look585
09-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Remember there is a minimum speed for the turns ~19 mph. If you are gassed and don't meet this speed you will slide off the bank and ruin your shorts =D

This is one of the benefits of Rock Hill. The surface is *very* grippy. You can ride around the banking at way less than 19mph. Probably 9mph if you have short enough cranks / high enough BB.

I suppose it could create bad habits if one got used to riding slowly on ~45° bankings, but for an approachable and accessible track I think it is appropriate.

nooneline
09-01-2020, 01:27 PM
I think on Rock Hill I got down to about 15mph.

it's very grippy, provided you have the right tires. At 2014 Nats, a bunch of people flatted their Vittorias because they were warming up basically riding on the cotton sidewalls.

A steep concrete track means you need full rubber, particularly if you're going to do on-track warm ups, sprints, or madisons.

woodworker
09-01-2020, 02:18 PM
What the others have said. Take classes, learn the rules, and enjoy.

I took classes at the San Diego Velodrome, an outdoor track with a decent asphalt surface. I used the available rentals for the lessons, then picked up a cheap but perfectly serviceable bike from Aventon for roughly $400--that's the bike with wheels, fully set up, with taxes and shipping included. It has worked just fine for me. Unfortunately, I just checked their website, and they're all sold out. :( Then again, after you do it for a while, you can always put together something with more bling. I've opted for something that's just a tool for getting around the track (with a few adjustments (gearing, saddle, stem, power meter)), although I confess that I'd be tempted get something more interesting if the option came up.

Track quickly underscores that it's all about the engine. There's nowhere to hide if you don't have the legs. Really great folks at the track in my experience.

Tz779
09-01-2020, 03:03 PM
I think on Rock Hill I got down to about 15mph.

it's very grippy, provided you have the right tires. At 2014 Nats, a bunch of people flatted their Vittorias because they were warming up basically riding on the cotton sidewalls.

A steep concrete track means you need full rubber, particularly if you're going to do on-track warm ups, sprints, or madisons.

Hmmm. Yes, that banking looks steep!

Tz779
09-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Giordana Velodrome, Rock Hill, SC
09/11/20

Super Fun! Thanks Ivan!