PDA

View Full Version : My A** hurts -saddle recommendations

steveoz
08-31-2020, 06:12 PM
Well I'm still progressing on the weight loss challenge and down to 235 (from ~300....ahem..) and now that there's less padding on my posterior my butt hurts on EVERYTHING (even my favorite vintage Danish recliner) particularly my tailbone. I've found that my original Ronin 155 width with level 2 padding is OK - but it looks like they changed the design - I had SMP 209 which were OK but those started bugging my back and forget about the older Turbos that I used to like - it feels like they are cramming my tailbone up my spine - I know saddles are a personal fit - I'm thinking something like the 155 Ronin, with little more padding -figure I'd tap the hive mind to see what exists that's similar
:banana:

Dired
08-31-2020, 06:21 PM
Trek has a 30 day free returns, check out the aeolus pro.

Mike V
08-31-2020, 06:25 PM
Maybe think about some small changes in saddle position since your pressure points have also change with weight loss. I moved my saddle after some weight lose and it helped.

robt57
08-31-2020, 06:38 PM
When I lost 40lb I was able to drop the bars being I had room for breathing I did not have with the weight.

So my sit bones did not hurt as the pelvis tilted forward I found.

Congrats and good luck shrinking further.

Hilltopperny
08-31-2020, 06:43 PM
I exclusively use leather sprung saddles. I weigh anywhere from 210 to 225 depending on the season and I cannot imagine using anything else. I have either a Berthoud Galibier/Soulor on every single bike I own. It works for me and keeps my posterior from aching and I rarely ride with a chamois.

Peter P.
08-31-2020, 06:44 PM
Buy used saddles on eBay. You'll waste less money experimenting.

At your present weight, I still think you would do better with more thickly padded saddles.

Wilderness Trail Bike's Pure model is 148mm wide, with thicker padding than many svelte road models yet would not look out of place on a road bike. I have one on my ATB and like it very much.

And stick with steel-railed saddles. I think you'll be breaking titanium or carbon rails.

colker
08-31-2020, 06:57 PM
You want to alternate your road bike w/ a mountain bike and hit trails where you barely sit but shift your weight around the bike all the time.

mcteague
08-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Get a bike fit, then consider saddles.

Tim

rnhood
08-31-2020, 07:43 PM
The SMP Avant is very similar to the new 155 Romin, except with a little more padding. And the cutout is slightly larger. The front to back swag is about the same, unlike other models of SMP (except perhaps the Glider) which feature a bit more swag. I tend to notice the extra swag in my back also, although much of this is set-up. These other models seem more finicky in set up. But that Avant just seems perfect, at least for my anatomy. I highly recommend trying one if you like the 155 Romin.

You might want to install something like the Cane Creek eesilk post also. If its harshness that is hammering your tailbone, this post does a remarkable job of taking the edge off, and you will never otherwise know its a shock post. There are some other competing models also, and they are reported to work well, albeit a bit heavier.

verticaldoug
09-01-2020, 03:35 AM
I second a bike fit suggestions. I don't think your butt hurts because of lack of padding, but from your sit position probably being wrong. Being in better shape, you probably ride farther than you did at 300.

You might also want to work on flexibility.

I use a Fizik Arione. I think a Fizik Aliante is close to the shape you use currently.

But really, get a fit first.

stephenmarklay
09-01-2020, 11:08 AM
I personally like Selle Anatomica Saddles. I can ride them with jeans or shorts or bibs. Not light but really a half a pound isn’t a lot to worry about.

fkslksj
09-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Bike fit suggestion is on point. No matter how comfortable the saddle, if the fit is wrong, you won't truly feel comfortable.

Velocipede
09-01-2020, 12:00 PM
The one and only saddle I have ever put on a bike and ridden without fidgeting at all, Selle Repente Spyd 2.0. Same with riding after not riding for awhile.
Brand new- no fidget.
Riding after not riding in awhile- no fidget.
New bike- no fidget.
I was really surprised by this. I've recommended this saddle to a few people now and they've all come away with the same response. No fidgeting. Excellent saddle.

cgates66
09-01-2020, 12:01 PM
+1 on riding position.

I've noticed significant differences in comfort - with the same saddle - based on apparently minor fit differences (e.g., as little as 2 - 3mm of saddle height). By biggest issue is chafing, not sit bones, but I suspect it's the same thing - angles.

You can experiment yourself with fore / aft, angle and up / down or as others have said, get a fit.

With a dramatic transformation as you've experienced, your fit will probably evolve significantly.

firingsquad
09-01-2020, 12:04 PM
I am also going to recommend bike fit as a first move if you haven't already had one. I was having the same issue you're currently having and altering the way I was positioned made all the difference in the world.

OtayBW
09-01-2020, 12:11 PM
For me, the main thing is that the sit bones are supported. With that done, I don't need or want any more than a minimum of padding. I want to ride primarily on the sit bones, not soft tissue.

Billybob62
09-01-2020, 01:21 PM
it feels like they are cramming my tailbone up my spine - I know saddles are a personal fit - I'm thinking something like the 155 Ronin, with little more padding -figure I'd tap the hive mind to see what exists that's similar
:banana:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

wallymann
09-01-2020, 02:31 PM
as i've gotten older and lost muscle mass, my bony ass tends to be sensitive to sit-bone pressure. so what worked in my 20s no longer works now.

all of my cycling shorts *must* have a gel-based pad technology, i wear santini exclusively -- basic foam-based padding just wont do.

this is not to say you need a giant pillowy diaper-like pad with a gooey inside...top-end race shorts use gel/elastomer technology in their pads...the key is that the pad doesnt break down and compact and retain their protective properties. gel/elastomer based pads are more resilient and protect your sit-bones over the long-haul, unlike traditional foam-based pads.

reuben
09-01-2020, 03:57 PM
1) As others have mentioned, getting the proper fit and position on your bike is important.

2) Getting a saddle that fits you is another - sit bone width and all that, which not everyone subscribes to. I'm on the fence on this.

3) And then, It's a lot of trial and error. You have to try saddles and find out what works for you. Your body has undergone a huge change. Some of your discomfort may have come as a simple result of that change, and your body will just have to toughen up a bit. But saddles are very personal items, so you'll likely have to experiment. Yeah, try buying used (but not overused) saddles to save money while you experiment.

Good luck, and congrats!

Toddtwenty2
09-01-2020, 04:03 PM
I exclusively use leather sprung saddles. I weigh anywhere from 210 to 225 depending on the season and I cannot imagine using anything else. I have either a Berthoud Galibier/Soulor on every single bike I own. It works for me and keeps my posterior from aching and I rarely ride with a chamois.

+1, but I prefer the Aspin/Aravis. I range from 180-190 and have never invested in chamois.

Mikej
09-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Clip your a$$ hairs, not too close. Works for me but yrmv-

lemondvictoire
09-01-2020, 10:43 PM
New cycling shorts can help..some with good padding...

weisan
09-02-2020, 12:14 AM
Steve pal, usually it's a "combination of things" that contribute to saddle discomfort and many have been listed above so I won't repeat them.

When your fitness, weight, positioning on the bike, and the appropriate saddle come together, you will be able to ride comfortably for at least 30-40 miles without paying too much attention to your equipment. They will become one with you and all you are focusing on is pedaling,breathing and enjoying the ride.

Remember to practice standing up and stretch every now and then while you are on the bike and you do that even with a comfortable setup. That will transfer weight to different parts of the body and relieve some pressure.

My favorite saddles are: WTB Pure, Specialized Avatar, Prologo Scratch PAS CPC

rlanger
09-02-2020, 03:27 AM
Some good advice in this thread.

No one here can point you to a saddle that will be comfortable for you. Only trial and error or more importantly a bike fitter can do that.

If you want to go the trial and error route, Aliexpress has copies of just about every type of saddle for $30 or less. Find a shape that works for you, then spring for the real deal if you want.

Congrats on the weight loss. :beer:

Gummee
09-02-2020, 09:16 AM
I've noticed that if I'm out for a toodle, things get achey.

The harder you ride, the less weight your saddle supports so things don't get nearly as sore.

Otherwise, I got nuthin for the OP

M