PDA

View Full Version : stripped tiny 2 mm hex-head set screw

eddief
08-31-2020, 02:50 PM
this set screw retains the top cap on a 2.0 Spec Future Shock. best way to get it out and preserve threads in top cap?

Tz779
08-31-2020, 04:13 PM
pic?

muz
08-31-2020, 04:23 PM
this set screw retains the top cap on a 2.0 Spec Future Shock. best way to get it out and preserve threads in top cap?

Do you mean the head is rounded, or the threads are stripped? If rounded, you could epoxy a hex wrench, take it out and replace.

mtechnica
08-31-2020, 04:40 PM
Try jamming a standard sized Allen wrench in and see if one of them can grab.

kppolich
08-31-2020, 04:51 PM
https://youtu.be/fIi6s6_YqL0?t=80

In the video above, did you strip out the preload bolts or some other bolts?

eddief
08-31-2020, 05:33 PM
so allen key won't bite. just turns inside the head.

This knob is at the very top of the Future Shock. The set screw holds the knob on. The knob is the thing you use to adjust the tension in the shock.

See knob third photo down. The set screw is tiny and it's on the side of the knob:

https://granfondo-cycling.com/review-specialized-roubaix-2020/

speedevil
08-31-2020, 05:51 PM
If you can't find an easy-out that will fit, I would use JB weld (sparingly) to epoxy an allen wrench into the setscrew. let it cure for a day or so, and you should be able to turn the setscrew out. Toss the wrench and stripped setscrew, or use a cutoff disk in a dremel to save most of the allen wrench. Then just replace the setscrew.

batman1425
08-31-2020, 05:52 PM
Try using a torx bit the same or just a tiny bit oversized for the stripped head and tap it into place. Use firm downward pressure when unscrewing I've had luck getting many a stripped hex bolt out that way.

Tz779
08-31-2020, 07:21 PM
Try using a torx bit the same or just a tiny bit oversized for the stripped head and tap it into place. Use firm downward pressure when unscrewing I've had luck getting many a stripped hex bolt out that way.

plus PB Blaster

pdmtong
08-31-2020, 07:26 PM

same here. T25 tapped into a Fizik Cyrano post bolt got that rounded PAS out.

oldpotatoe
09-01-2020, 06:50 AM
so allen key won't bite. just turns inside the head.

This knob is at the very top of the Future Shock. The set screw holds the knob on. The knob is the thing you use to adjust the tension in the shock.

See knob third photo down. The set screw is tiny and it's on the side of the knob:

https://granfondo-cycling.com/review-specialized-roubaix-2020/

Try a close in size US/SAE allen, tap in there or maybe a Torx..

eddief
09-01-2020, 09:49 AM
never used it before. is it really sticky before cured? in other words, if i put some on the end of a tiny allen key and stick it in the head of the screw, will the wrench stay by itself or do i have support somehow as the stuff is curing?

If you can't find an easy-out that will fit, I would use JB weld (sparingly) to epoxy an allen wrench into the setscrew. let it cure for a day or so, and you should be able to turn the setscrew out. Toss the wrench and stripped setscrew, or use a cutoff disk in a dremel to save most of the allen wrench. Then just replace the setscrew.

batman1425
09-01-2020, 09:52 AM
never used it before. is it really sticky before cured? in other words, if i put some on the end of a tiny allen key and stick it in the head of the screw, will the wrench stay by itself or do i have support somehow as the stuff is curing?

Its like a thicker epoxy in consistency. IMO not strong enough to hold the wrench in place while curing. I'd support it with something. I'd also try the torx trick first before going the glue route.

pdmtong
09-05-2020, 10:43 AM
It might be the tool not the bolt that is rounded.

Possible.

Check it with a different 2mm hex

RoosterCogset
09-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Its like a thicker epoxy in consistency. IMO not strong enough to hold the wrench in place while curing. I'd support it with something. I'd also try the torx trick first before going the glue route.

Not that a torx wrench is a bad idea, but maybe having a T8-T9 size one of these might be unlikely if your tool inventory is based on typical bike needs.. First perhaps see if you can jam a 2.5mm hex in there? Or maybe even if you have any small set of screwdrivers (jeweler set of some sort), a flat head might be able to wedge in there?

peanutgallery
09-05-2020, 12:12 PM
You're going to have to carefully drill that out, then buy a set of wera Allen wrenches and never do that again

eddief
09-05-2020, 12:39 PM
i figured out that the tiny hex allen I was using was either of poor quality or had been rounded off at another time. found a good condition wrench and it turned out the set screw was in fine condition.

dumb

peanutgallery
09-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Get a set of wera

i figured out that the tiny hex allen I was using was either of poor quality or had been rounded off at another time. found a good condition wrench and it turned out the set screw was in fine condition.

dumb

pdmtong
09-05-2020, 01:52 PM

dumb

Not dumb but possible
Hence my previous post