PDA

View Full Version : Enve 3.4AR & Rene Herse compatability

Overshot
08-31-2020, 11:37 AM
Does anybody have any experience with Rene Herse on a set of Enve 3.4 AR's? I was specifically looking at a 35c Bon Jon set up tubeless.

I only throw this out there as Rene Herse seems to indicate that all tubeless compatible tires are ok to use on Enve hookless rims, however Enve does not list them on the hookless rim compatible chart that I could find. I did also notice a commenter on the Rene Herse blog that has experienced a blowoff on an Enve hookless rim with a Barlow Pass mounted properly and within pressure spec.

I have been on the 32c Stampede Pass for about 2K miles, excellent tires, very little, if any signs of wear. Unfortunately it seems these will not work on Enve Hookless rims as they are not officially tubeless compatible from my understanding.

Just wanted to confirm from real world users of both before making any purchases. Thanks!

dbnm
08-31-2020, 12:00 PM
I went through this about 4 months ago. Enve has approved the tires (I spoke with their cust serv people about) but they have yet to update their website.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/enve-and-zipp-hookless-rims-and-rene-herse-tires/

You should not have any issues with that combo but I recommend that you reach out to Enve as well.

Just an FYI, I am running 3.4AR with gravel kings with zero issues.

Spdntrxi
08-31-2020, 12:11 PM
while I dont have 3.4AR.. I do have 4.5AR so the hookless portion should be the same.

I have BonJon's on my 4.5AR right now.. great tire.

Overshot
08-31-2020, 01:46 PM
I went through this about 4 months ago. Enve has approved the tires (I spoke with their cust serv people about) but they have yet to update their website.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/enve-and-zipp-hookless-rims-and-rene-herse-tires/

You should not have any issues with that combo but I recommend that you reach out to Enve as well.

Just an FYI, I am running 3.4AR with gravel kings with zero issues.

Good to know. I called ENVE earlier today and the tech I spoke with said they had not been tested yet and can’t be officially recommended.

He did say if it wasn’t tubeless rated it definitely should not be used. This fact seems to rule out anything from RH that is less than 35c.

Thanks again for the input!

dbnm
08-31-2020, 01:51 PM
Well that'sa load of crap because the guy I spoke to, put me on hold and spoke to one of the Enve engineers and said they are approved.

Call them back.

Jan Heine
09-01-2020, 10:00 AM
As other posters mentioned, we've worked with Enve, and they've tested dozens of our tires and have approved them for use with their wheels.

On our end, we've tested all our tires from 28 mm up to 55 mm on the new Enve 45 wheels. We've tested them on two different wheelsets (4 rims) to check the consistency of the rims, too. First, the new Enve rims are very consistent. The fit of the tires is about perfect - tight, but not so tight that they don't seat easily. Setting them up tubeless with just a floor pump was no problem. One thing you need to make sure is that the rim tape adheres really well. With the tight fit, the tire otherwise can move the rim tape when you remove it, exposing the spoke hole and leaking air. (Probably not a problem for you, but we mounted dozens of tires on these wheels.)

We've also run our tires on numerous other Enve wheels on various BQ test bikes, again with no problems.

Enve's instructions say that only tubeless-compatible tires should be used with their latest wheels, even when running tubes. There is no technical reason for this, but perhaps they want to ensure that the tires are to a very close spec, diameter-wise. We've run 28 and 32 mm Rene Herse tires on the Enve 45s with no problems. The specs of the tires are the same, apart from the bead shape. Make sure you don't exceed the rim's max. pressure. (I believe it's 60 psi for the 45s.)

The 35 mm Rene Herse tires are tubeless-compatible, so they're officially approved anyhow.

So in summary, Enve's latest rims are some of the best tubeless-compatible rims, and we can totally endorse using them with our tires, with tubes or tubeless (for tubeless-compatible tires).

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

mistermo
09-01-2020, 10:52 AM
As other posters mentioned, we've worked with Enve, and they've tested dozens of our tires and have approved them for use with their wheels.

On our end, we've tested all our tires from 28 mm up to 55 mm on the new Enve 45 wheels. We've tested them on two different wheelsets (4 rims) to check the consistency of the rims, too. First, the new Enve rims are very consistent. The fit of the tires is about perfect - tight, but not so tight that they don't seat easily. Setting them up tubeless with just a floor pump was no problem. One thing you need to make sure is that the rim tape adheres really well. With the tight fit, the tire otherwise can move the rim tape when you remove it, exposing the spoke hole and leaking air. (Probably not a problem for you, but we mounted dozens of tires on these wheels.)

We've also run our tires on numerous other Enve wheels on various BQ test bikes, again with no problems.

Enve's instructions say that only tubeless-compatible tires should be used with their latest wheels, even when running tubes. There is no technical reason for this, but perhaps they want to ensure that the tires are to a very close spec, diameter-wise. We've run 28 and 32 mm Rene Herse tires on the Enve 45s with no problems. The specs of the tires are the same, apart from the bead shape. Make sure you don't exceed the rim's max. pressure. (I believe it's 60 psi for the 45s.)

The 35 mm Rene Herse tires are tubeless-compatible, so they're officially approved anyhow.

So in summary, Enve's latest rims are some of the best tubeless-compatible rims, and we can totally endorse using them with our tires, with tubes or tubeless (for tubeless-compatible tires).

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Thanks for this. If I'm not mistaken, ENVE lists the 4.5ARs and tubeless only whereas the regular 4.5s can be run with tubes. Not trying to nitpick, but when you say 45's, are you referring to one or the other, or have you tested both?

I'm assuming you've tested with other tubeless rims? Are there any you would not trust? Any that stand out as the best? Since this is new territory for many of us, your experience is helpful. Thanks.

Jan Heine
09-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Our big test was with the new 45, not the 4.5. I don't know on which rims Enve tested our tires...

There's no reason why other current Enve models should not work. As with all tubeless installation, make sure the fit of the tire on the rim is a bit on the tight side. If it's loose, add a layer or two of rim tape.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Overshot
09-02-2020, 07:53 AM
Our big test was with the new 45, not the 4.5. I don't know on which rims Enve tested our tires...

There's no reason why other current Enve models should not work. As with all tubeless installation, make sure the fit of the tire on the rim is a bit on the tight side. If it's loose, add a layer or two of rim tape.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Jan: I am glad you replied here, no better source than you yourself on this!

From your previous comments, are all your tires good to use on the Enve hookless rims? IE 3.4AR / 4.5AR?

If so are the non tubeless compatible tires (<35c) ok to use on the hookless rims as long as tubes are used?

Thanks again-

AngryScientist
09-02-2020, 07:57 AM
So in summary, Enve's latest rims are some of the best tubeless-compatible rims,

well, right up until they explode of course :banana::banana::banana:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698007690&stc=1&d=1598958990

Jan Heine
09-02-2020, 09:15 AM
From your previous comments, are all your tires good to use on the Enve hookless rims? IE 3.4AR / 4.5AR?

If so are the non tubeless compatible tires (<35c) ok to use on the hookless rims as long as tubes are used?

Generally, there are no problems using our tires on Enve rims. Of course, I can't speak for Enve's quality control, so you always have to make sure that you have a good tire/rim fit - if it seems loose, it's a big no-no with tubeless.

And yes, with tubes, you can use any tire on almost any rim. The forces on tire and rim are much, much lower, and it's very rare to have problems. So the narrower Rene Herse tires work without any problems on Enve (or other rims) as long as you use tubes.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

barnabyjones
09-02-2020, 01:06 PM
well, right up until they explode of course :banana::banana::banana:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698007690&stc=1&d=1598958990

No big whoop. Enve will just warranty that wheel for the 4th time.

Overshot
09-03-2020, 07:48 AM
Generally, there are no problems using our tires on Enve rims. Of course, I can't speak for Enve's quality control, so you always have to make sure that you have a good tire/rim fit - if it seems loose, it's a big no-no with tubeless.

And yes, with tubes, you can use any tire on almost any rim. The forces on tire and rim are much, much lower, and it's very rare to have problems. So the narrower Rene Herse tires work without any problems on Enve (or other rims) as long as you use tubes.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Jan-Thanks for the reply

I was asking specifically about the compatibility on Enve's hookless rims. Are the hookless rims compatible with all RH tires?

oldpotatoe
09-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Does anybody have any experience with Rene Herse on a set of Enve 3.4 AR's? I was specifically looking at a 35c Bon Jon set up tubeless.

I only throw this out there as Rene Herse seems to indicate that all tubeless compatible tires are ok to use on Enve hookless rims, however Enve does not list them on the hookless rim compatible chart that I could find. I did also notice a commenter on the Rene Herse blog that has experienced a blowoff on an Enve hookless rim with a Barlow Pass mounted properly and within pressure spec.

I have been on the 32c Stampede Pass for about 2K miles, excellent tires, very little, if any signs of wear. Unfortunately it seems these will not work on Enve Hookless rims as they are not officially tubeless compatible from my understanding.

Just wanted to confirm from real world users of both before making any purchases. Thanks!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=257564

:eek:
No big whoop. Enve will just warranty that wheel for the 4th time.

If ya live thru it..another :eek::eek: