PDA

View Full Version : Firsthand experience with Pirelli P Zero Velo?

cgolvin
08-31-2020, 11:15 AM
The time for new tires is fast approaching, and I'm considering these Pirellis as PBK has them at a good price. If you have firsthand experience with them, I'd appreciate hearing it -- ride feel, puncture resistance, and true-to-size.

Thanks

AngryScientist
08-31-2020, 11:17 AM
they rock.

also see here about the velo 4s - which also rock but are a little beefier. i'm a pirelli velo fan!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=257504

cgolvin
08-31-2020, 11:24 AM
they rock.

also see here about the velo 4s - which also rock but are a little beefier. i'm a pirelli velo fan!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=257504

Thanks Nick, timely post that I was just perusing.
Interesting in that I'd be mounting them on Archetypes, as you have -- don't suppose you put a caliper to them to see how true to size the 25s are?

AngryScientist
08-31-2020, 11:49 AM
measure:

FlashUNC
08-31-2020, 11:52 AM
Ride nice, but fragile sidewalls in my experience.

AngryScientist
08-31-2020, 11:53 AM
Ride nice, but fragile sidewalls in my experience.

the pzero's maybe, but the 4S are quite a bit beefier in all around construction.

pdonk
08-31-2020, 12:19 PM
I have a set of p zeros on my track bike. Nicely sticky, roll well. Not the same type of use as on the road, but they work well enough that when my conti gp5000s wear out (which is soon) I may consider them.

sg8357
08-31-2020, 02:36 PM
I've the 25mm (27+ on Open Pros), with the tan sidewalls.
Note there seems to be a bit more side wall than some other tires.

Roll well, stick well in the corners.
The ever popular BRR, rates them a watt of two slower than
the GP5000s.

Anyone have the 28mm ?, what size do they end up.

Daan
08-31-2020, 02:59 PM
Regular (non tubeless) pzero velos in 25, measure 27,9 on my archetypes (my digital caliper might not be the most accurate thing in the world)
I had gp4000s before these. These feel a bit softer. But that might also have something to do with the fact that the gp4000s were super old.

cgolvin
08-31-2020, 03:07 PM
Thanks all, just ordered a pair of 25s. Considered 28 rear/25 front, which is what I have right now in Panaracer Race A, but seemed a bit risky given the measurements on the 25s mounted.

Just replaced the worn out Corsas on my Peg with GP 5000s, looking forward to trying them out.

clarendon
08-31-2020, 03:11 PM
Thanks all, just ordered a pair of 25s. Considered 28 rear/25 front, which is what I have right now in Panaracer Race A, but seemed a bit risky given the measurements on the 25s mounted.

Just replaced the worn out Corsas on my Peg with GP 5000s, looking forward to trying them out.

Hi Charles - I am considering Veloflex Corsa Evos to replace Vittoria Corsas on the Peg. Out of interest did you consider these? Interested if folks have any experience with the 28s - Veloflex are supposed to come up exactly true to size

cgolvin
08-31-2020, 03:20 PM
Hi Charles - I am considering Veloflex Corsa Evos to replace Vittoria Corsas on the Peg. Out of interest did you consider these? Interested if folks have any experience with the 28s - Veloflex are supposed to come up exactly true to size

I didn't, mainly because I was trying to economize and found a good price on the Pirellis; when I've looked in the past I didn't find big discounts on Veloflex (not to say they aren't out there).

That said, I have really enjoyed the ride feel of Veloflex tires in the past, but I'm not sure I ever rolled anything bigger than 23, and certainly not 28. My only complaint was that they weren't that durable, though probably on par with the Vittorias.

Daan
08-31-2020, 03:51 PM
I forgot to mention. For some reason the hairs (little rubber thingies, related to the cast) were super long on mine. I mounted them in a bit of a hurry and heard a weird noisy when I got up to speed. It was the hairs rubbing on the inside of my fork.

tctyres
08-31-2020, 05:18 PM
Perfect timing ... I need to replace some tires. :)

philhan89
08-31-2020, 05:43 PM
amazing tires! super light. super grippy. puncture resistance is meh, mid level, but its a competition tire. if you got funds a training/competition tire. lil pricey but can def find a good bargain from time to time. i am on enve 3.4 rims (clincher runnin tubes) and i stopped using them cause i started to get that fraying separation that enve warns about with supple cotton casings.

vincenz
08-31-2020, 05:44 PM
I’m a Pirelli fan now after using their Zero Velo and Zero Velo TT. They’re putting out some really good stuff these days. The tires are really light for their measurement and they blow up wider than advertised. They also feel faster and have better road feel than other popular tires like GP5000s and Corsas.

23mm tires blow up to 27mm on 19mm internal width.

25mm tires blow up to 30mm on 25mm internal width.

They seem to run better with slightly higher pressures.

adrien
09-01-2020, 09:43 AM
I'm onto my second pair.

Softer than GP5000 and a little slower resistance-wise. Ride is plush, closer to a cotton tire.

VERY sharp turn-in. Bike seems to jump into corners in a way it didn't on the Contis or previously on Corsas.

25s on Enves 4.5 (19mm internal) are the same size as Conti 28s.

They're solid; I wish their rolling resistance were a little better.

12snap
09-01-2020, 12:34 PM

I have Veloflex Corsa Evos in 28s. They measure out to 29 mm on a 21 mm internal rim width at 85 psi.

Velocipede
09-01-2020, 03:29 PM
I really like the Pirelli bicycle tires. I've been riding them since 2018 when I first put them on some show bikes. Corner well, wear well. Never had any cuts or anything like that. I do hate the feathers that happen. BUT, the ones I were riding weren't actually made by Pirelli in Italy. They were made by another European tire company that is notorious for feathers on the tires. That stuff drives me nuts. I've always wanted to try putting some superglue on the tire before they get ridden and see how that holds up. I recommend them. Actually just put a pair on a PInarello Dogma I did for someone.