PDA

View Full Version : My childhood cycling heros are still heros

Too Tall
02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Yesterday I hosted a seminar on training and racing with watts. The event was great fun and great time to hang with fellow coaches etc. Something really really touching happened and thought I 'd relay to see if others have renewed contact with old heros. In the first yrs. of High School I hooked up with these "guys" who raced bicyles....they REALLY raced!!! They taught me to rotate in pacelines, how to sprint...the right equipment EVERYTHING it was amazing and they were G-Ds of the first order :) (sigh)...sooooo all that lead up to what happened the evening before the seminar. I got a call from one of the G-ds. He found me via the WWW and was training using a Power Tap and he was very complimentary of things I've done...it was touching and kind to hear from someone I thought of as the real deal. These guys were TRAINING and doing "it" in 1970 with no attitude and all the most amazing cultural insights...gAAAAAh I could go on.

SOOOOO, my friend from the past arrived at the lecture hall early and we chatted. Caught up on old times and he presented me with something that he said he'd been waiting 30 yrs. to give me!!!!! Holy COW you won't beleive it and here it is ( I am speechless. This is something that I've wanted for ages and the book is full of his personal notes....I'm in heaven). People are good. This is good.:

stevep
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
cycling classic. the coni manual.
great story tt.
you will make good use of the " bible"

obtuse
02-04-2007, 05:10 PM
beautiful book. the translation makes you feel like you are reading italian. should be required reading for every coach, product manager, bike shop employee, fit technician, framebuilder and cyclist.

obtuse

rwsaunders
02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
The Holy Grail for sure Too Tall.

catulle
02-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Heroes forever (and I don't mean no sandwich...)

Skewer
02-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Yesterday I hosted a seminar on training and racing with watts. The event was great fun and great time to hang with fellow coaches etc. Something really really touching happened and thought I 'd relay to see if others have renewed contact with old heros. In the first yrs. of High School I hooked up with these "guys" who raced bicyles....they REALLY raced!!! They taught me to rotate in pacelines, how to sprint...the right equipment EVERYTHING it was amazing and they were G-Ds of the first order :) (sigh)...sooooo all that lead up to what happened the evening before the seminar. I got a call from one of the G-ds. He found me via the WWW and was training using a Power Tap and he was very complimentary of things I've done...it was touching and kind to hear from someone I thought of as the real deal. These guys were TRAINING and doing "it" in 1970 with no attitude and all the most amazing cultural insights...gAAAAAh I could go on.

SOOOOO, my friend from the past arrived at the lecture hall early and we chatted. Caught up on old times and he presented me with something that he said he'd been waiting 30 yrs. to give me!!!!! Holy COW you won't beleive it and here it is ( I am speechless. This is something that I've wanted for ages and the book is full of his personal notes....I'm in heaven). People are good. This is good.:

I've lurked for some time and have gained vast amounts of knowledge of the sport through other peoples postings....but am VERY interested in getting one of these books to further my education.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot may i ask where someone might buy one of these ??

rwsaunders
02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Here's a start.

http://www.sandcreeksports.com/coni.htm

Skewer
02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Here's a start.

http://www.sandcreeksports.com/coni.htm

Hey cool thanks....guess I should start with some other reading material first rather than go for a collectible.

I find it humorous that the original poster couldn't respond back to my question even when it was directed right at him......not much of a coach/teacher in my book.

Ginger
02-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I find it humorous that the original poster couldn't respond back to my question even when it was directed right at him......not much of a coach/teacher in my book.

You might want to check out #4 in the forum rules:

In other words, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

(I'm still trying to figure out if it would be rude to ask skewer why he needs coaching to buy a book...I can help with that: Google is your friend.)

Jack Brunk
02-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Nice start to the forum Skewer. Go away.

Skewer
02-05-2007, 11:42 PM
You need coaching to buy a book?

Just ask'n.

Ummmm......no.

Dude said he was a coach/teacher in some capacity so i figure no harm in asking said coach/teacher for a pointer on where to buy the book that is being held in such high regard......I'm new to the sport and would like to learn....he was asked a direct question and purposely chose not to answer. That to me is not much of a coach/teacher.
Just say'n

Ginger
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
TT:
That's a lovely story. Payback for all the kind things you do for bike people.
Sorry I hijacked your thread.

The hazard of the internet is that people assume that everyone is paying total attention to every single piece of information that happens on each and every site that they visit.

People do work, people go on vacation, people OMG Ride their Bike!

Skewer, you've lurked here a while; you know that threads with direct questions can languish for a week before someone answers. It's not like you PM'd the poster with the question. (Email doesn't necessarily work, some people have their email directed to a less active account. And perhaps you did PM them, perhaps they're busy with paying customers.)

RIHans
02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
By the way, I believe this would be the "Cinelli" book from the "70's"...Lot's of info for the neofite....Count me one of them. Info on position, frame size, and so forth....Like I said ...70's

A.L.Breguet
02-06-2007, 04:37 AM
Ummmm......no.

Dude said he was a coach/teacher in some capacity so i figure no harm in asking said coach/teacher for a pointer on where to buy the book that is being held in such high regard......I'm new to the sport and would like to learn....he was asked a direct question and purposely chose not to answer. That to me is not much of a coach/teacher. There are other names that come to mind...

Just say'n

I suggest you continue lurking until you learn some manners.

...just sayin'

catulle
02-06-2007, 05:54 AM
TT:
That's a lovely story. Payback for all the kind things you do for bike people.
Sorry I hijacked your thread.

The hazard of the internet is that people assume that everyone is paying total attention to every single piece of information that happens on each and every site that they visit.

People do work, people go on vacation, people OMG Ride their Bike!

Skewer, you've lurked here a while; you know that threads with direct questions can languish for a week before someone answers. It's not like you PM'd the poster with the question. (Email doesn't necessarily work, some people have their email directed to a less active account. And perhaps you did PM them, perhaps they're busy with paying customers.)

Love means never having to say sorry, or something. Whatever, +1000%. Don't mind this guy, Ginger. He just hasn't shoved a lady around in 24hrs. Or been rude to a nice person. He won't go far in life. Hey, smile, we love you.

Ti Designs
02-06-2007, 06:19 AM

Aside from all the answers above, I'll put in my own $.02 TT was given the book as a gift, he didn't go out and purchase it. My answer would be to coach riders for about a decade, maybe one of them will give you a copy!

As for the statement itself, you may find that not being able to respond to a direct question is part of coaching - nobody knows everything (I can think of a few people who will tell you they do, but there's that forum rule #4...). When I started coaching I could directly answer almost none of the questions asked. My job has always been to find out the answers, and maybe I'll have the answer a little quicker next time - it's called learning.

saab2000
02-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Give Too Tall a chance. He is one of the nicest guys I have met in a long time and a 'real' cyclist to boot.

He will give you the shirt off his back. Or at least a long pull back to Georgetown along the Clara Barton Parkway. :beer:

stevep
02-06-2007, 06:33 AM
nobody knows everything
i know that
When I started coaching I could directly answer almost none of the questions asked.
now eddie has reached cycling nirvana... he can answer some questions but he refuses on principal

Too Tall
02-06-2007, 06:41 AM
OMG y'all are dang nice to stand up for me. Skewer chill dewd, it may seem as if I'm on this forum all the time but I really do have to put in some hr.s making a living ;) I've looked high and low for a NOS copy of the manual and no soap...this gift will make me smile for many many days to come. There are some really good books you can read. Are you focused on general fitness, racing, brevets???

m_moses
02-06-2007, 07:09 AM

If you'd lurked long enough you would have known that you got Too Tall all wrong . . . interesting handle btw.

Skewer
02-06-2007, 07:44 AM
OMG y'all are dang nice to stand up for me. Skewer chill dewd, it may seem as if I'm on this forum all the time but I really do have to put in some hr.s making a living ;) I've looked high and low for a NOS copy of the manual and no soap...this gift will make me smile for many many days to come. There are some really good books you can read. Are you focused on general fitness, racing, brevets???

Yep. Shame on me. My assumptions were *** backwards and it was my fault for guessing that i was being snubbed. Since I’ve never been to a message board or posted before I guess there are some things I still need to learn.

A recommendation on racing would be nice.....preferably before I get booed off stage

Frustration
02-06-2007, 07:58 AM
PeeWee Herman is still a Hero of mine :banana:

Ginger
02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Love means never having to say sorry, or something. Whatever, +1000%. Don't mind this guy, Ginger. He just hasn't shoved a lady around in 24hrs. Or been rude to a nice person. He won't go far in life. Hey, smile, we love you.

Catulle,
I don't mind him at all. What got me is the direct "this guy's a coach, I don't think he's all that great because he didn't hop right to answering my question" thing.

People ask for advice on this forum for all sorts of stuff all the time and that's cool. I've done it: Put an open question out there for anyone to respond to.
It's so cool that our community responds to many of these medical/coaching/legal/information requests to point people in the right direction. It's a huge part of being a community.
But the key is, the community responds. The community offers assistance (as they are now that the question has been rephrased.)

On the other side of the coin, if someone's been on the board for a while and knows someone is open with advice, perhaps they PM them directly with a question. And I've seen the community respond that way to. Cool.

This was more like walking into a party, getting introduced to a doctor and asking them to look at your boil, free of charge, right there at the party, then saying you thought they sucked because they didn't do it immediately.

Maybe I'm sensitive to that sort of thing (people asking people to do what they do to put bread on the table for free without the person offering) because I'm a writer. I get asked out of the blue by people I don't know to write all sorts of things for free: resumes, university entrance exams, technical papers, cover letters, edit thesis, build web sites... In part I don't mind it because free stuff can snowball into paying work, and people are hilarious...I'm usually fairly entertained...and I know how to say no.
Now, if someone knows me, or I meet a person or organization who could use a hand (not a handout) to get a bit further along in life, or I see a project that would help me brush up on a topic or two; I offer to help out. But the whole "direct demand out of the blue for something someone gets paid to do" thing bugs me.

Skewer:
Now you have to provide input...answer all the questions about what sort of racing you want to do, what your goals are, what your time frame is...enjoy the answers. :D
Mary Ann

Climb01742
02-06-2007, 08:49 AM
can't we all just get along? :D

skewer is a new kid on the block. he put a cleat in his mouth. we know TT and know how things work here. skewer doesn't. maybe give the newbie some time. see his true colors over time.

peace and love.

Too Tall
02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Here is a real good resource...start with this and refine:
http://www.ultrafit.com/librarypub.asp?p=library&s=Bike

If you are a bookworm it helps to know where we come from as a sport so that these (modern) books have even more relevance...haha thus my lust for the CONI book ;) I'm all about culture, history and what's old is new again.

zap
02-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Ummmm......no.

Dude said he was a coach/teacher in some capacity so i figure no harm in asking said coach/teacher for a pointer on where to buy the book that is being held in such high regard......I'm new to the sport and would like to learn....he was asked a direct question and purposely chose not to answer. That to me is not much of a coach/teacher.
Just say'n

Assumptions can lead one down the wrong path. In real life it can be a big problem.

We all make mistakes so lets hope this leads to better things.

TT, great story.

rwsaunders
02-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Too Tall lives and breathes the bike imho, and that's a compliment of the highest order. Skewer, you have some class in having the guts to post an apology. Looks like a true forum in motion.

dsb
02-06-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm sure that most of you know that the C.O.N.I. manual is very old and very, very rare... Just plain unobtainium... Which makes the gift from TT's friend all the more significant. I haven't seen one for sale in a _very_ long time, and then it was $165 usd...

For Skewer, or anyone else that's interested...

Title: Cycling
Author: Adriano Rodoni
Publisher: C.O.N.I. Central Sports School F.I.A.C.
ISBN: I don't think it has one...

I've had luck finding old out of print books at the following websites:

www.alibris.com
www.strandbookstore.com
www.abebooks.com

and, believe it or don't... amazon...

I hope this hasn't been a waste of bandwidth...

Dave

catulle
02-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Catulle,
I don't mind him at all. What got me is the direct "this guy's a coach, I don't think he's all that great because he didn't hop right to answering my question" thing.

People ask for advice on this forum for all sorts of stuff all the time and that's cool. I've done it: Put an open question out there for anyone to respond to.
It's so cool that our community responds to many of these medical/coaching/legal/information requests to point people in the right direction. It's a huge part of being a community.
But the key is, the community responds. The community offers assistance (as they are now that the question has been rephrased.)

On the other side of the coin, if someone's been on the board for a while and knows someone is open with advice, perhaps they PM them directly with a question. And I've seen the community respond that way to. Cool.

This was more like walking into a party, getting introduced to a doctor and asking them to look at your boil, free of charge, right there at the party, then saying you thought they sucked because they didn't do it immediately.

Maybe I'm sensitive to that sort of thing (people asking people to do what they do to put bread on the table for free without the person offering) because I'm a writer. I get asked out of the blue by people I don't know to write all sorts of things for free: resumes, university entrance exams, technical papers, cover letters, edit thesis, build web sites... In part I don't mind it because free stuff can snowball into paying work, and people are hilarious...I'm usually fairly entertained...and I know how to say no.
Now, if someone knows me, or I meet a person or organization who could use a hand (not a handout) to get a bit further along in life, or I see a project that would help me brush up on a topic or two; I offer to help out. But the whole "direct demand out of the blue for something someone gets paid to do" thing bugs me.

Skewer:
Now you have to provide input...answer all the questions about what sort of racing you want to do, what your goals are, what your time frame is...enjoy the answers. :D
Mary Ann

Peace and love.

(Err... See, Ginger, I have this love story about... Well, would you mind reading it and maybe checking the commas for me, please...?)

Skewer
02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Catulle,

Skewer:
Mary Ann

Speechless....truly, and that doesn't happen to me very often. Your eloquence proves that you're a writer but what I find more impressive, is that you've proven you're willing to give me a second chance...for that I say thank you. Honestly.

First and foremost I meant no disrespect to TT. I was offended that I asked him a direct question and had noticed that he'd since posted several times to other threads without responding to mine and I saw it as an "I’m too good to talk to newbie," situation. But he's addressed it, and we've moved on.

What I don't get are those that jump on someone else's bandwagon and think it’s cool to gang up on the new guy cause he's expressing his opinion. Like I said I’m new to the sport and I want some help. Cycling is tough enough to learn and enjoy when 90% of the general public don't like our kind, so to speak, why bang on a fellow rider??????

But, I raced my first RR this past Sunday as a 5 and got 14th (out of 70 I might add) and I want answers. My brother and buddy (both are veteran racers) say I need to be happy with that and I don't understand why. I guess I need a book that'll cover nutrition, racing, shop etiquette (got a job at the LBS for the discount) and anything else cycling would be a good start.....maybe one with a preface on how not to offend the Serotta forumites would be cool too.

Peace.

Skewer
02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Here is a real good resource...start with this and refine:
http://www.ultrafit.com/librarypub.asp?p=library&s=Bike

If you are a bookworm it helps to know where we come from as a sport so that these (modern) books have even more relevance...haha thus my lust for the CONI book ;) I'm all about culture, history and what's old is new again.

The tradition's/history and respect involved with the sport are one of the neatest aspects of cycling, in my opinion. For Christmas i was given a "History of the Tour De France" book and I love the thing...i pick it up at least 3 or 4 times a week and lose several hours reading.

Ginger
02-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Speechless....truly, and that doesn't happen to me very often. Your eloquence proves that you're a writer but what I find more impressive, is that you've proven you're willing to give me a second chance...for that I say thank you. Honestly.

First and foremost I meant no disrespect to TT. I was offended that I asked him a direct question and had noticed that he'd since posted several times to other threads without responding to mine and I saw it as an "I’m too good to talk to newbie," situation. But he's addressed it, and we've moved on.

Skewer,
You're welcome. And thank you for not being a troll.

Congratulations on your race result!

Peace
Mary Ann

P.S. Thanks for the laugh...Too Tall too good to talk to a newbie? Honey... you have no idea how hilarious that is. :banana: