PDA

View Full Version : T47 BB’s; Praxis, CK or Wheels Manufacturing?

maslow
08-31-2020, 06:12 AM
Wondering if someone can help? I’m looking at purchasing a couple of t47 bottom brackets for mine and the wife’s titanium frames. I already use t47 cups with a campagnolo set up and have had no problems whatsoever. I’ve used the search function on this forum but can’t find the info I’m looking for.

In short I’d planned to buy the wheels manufacturing T47 bottom brackets (one for 24mm spindle and other for 30mm) both with angular contact bearings. What I’m not sure on is how durable the wheels manufacturing BB’s are as have no experience with they’re components. Also not sure if the angular contact bearings feature is a bit of a gimmick? When it comes time to replace the bearings is it a proprietary part?

And as for fitting, has anyone a preference for the Park BBT-47 or wheels manufacturing own tool (not the flat wrench tool tho’)?

Ideally I’d like to fit the said BB’s without marking the cup notches. Perhaps I’d be better off with the praxis T47 BB or Chris King equivalent although the CK one is a bit bit spendy for a wet weather bike. Both bikes see a lot of bad weather so durability is key.

GonaSovereign
08-31-2020, 06:51 AM
I’ve used the Wheels and King versions of the T47 in my No22, installed with the Park tool. Both are quality. I always install with grease and Teflon tape. One note: the notches on the King aren’t as deep so the mounting tool doesn’t get the same purchase. The likelihood of your mounting tool slipping off the cup is higher with the King.

maslow
08-31-2020, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the speedy response. Okay that’s useful info. So that leaves me to decide between praxis and the wheels manufacturing (also found that hope do a t47 bb as well but need they’re own tool to fit it from what I understand?)

Did you ever wear our the wheels manufacturing bearings in your bb? If so any idea how long/number of miles you got from it?

blakcloud
08-31-2020, 07:50 AM
Some useful information on another board.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1209814-2020-trek-domane-slr-project-one-ceramic-speed-t47-bottom-bracket.html

maslow
08-31-2020, 08:20 AM
Some useful information on another board.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1209814-2020-trek-domane-slr-project-one-ceramic-speed-t47-bottom-bracket.html

Yes - that’s some really useful info there. Thanks.

Might have to go with praxis with steel bearings then? (other than the Campag cult ceramic bearings fitted to their cranks I’m not interested in ceramic bearings TBH)

Vamoots58
08-31-2020, 08:39 AM
the Wheels Mfg T47. I had great success on a previous build (albeit PF30) with the threaded WM design and chose them for my new Alliance build, So far, quite happy with it!

Pinned
08-31-2020, 09:02 AM
The Praxis units are the least expensive and IMO the bearings are equivalent to any other standard ball bearing. I'd go Praxis unless you want something with fancy bearings like the CK.

The Cane Creek Hellbender is also great.

bikinchris
08-31-2020, 09:27 AM
My vote would be Wheels MFG. They use the best quality Enduro bearings and the cups are the best they can make too.

SoCalSteve
08-31-2020, 10:27 AM
My vote would be Wheels MFG. They use the best quality Enduro bearings and the cups are the best they can make too.

I have this on my No22 and am very happy with it. No issues, no squeaking, nada.

maslow
08-31-2020, 01:33 PM
the Wheels Mfg T47. I had great success on a previous build (albeit PF30) with the threaded WM design and chose them for my new Alliance build, So far, quite happy with it!

Any idea of the mileage you’ve had thus far? Is that any weather riding or best bike (ie dry bike). Sorry to ask such a trivial question but consumable parts soon add up year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maslow
08-31-2020, 01:35 PM
I have this on my No22 and am very happy with it. No issues, no squeaking, nada.

Again sorry to nit pick but was that the model with angular contact bearings. If so are the bearings replaceable and are they available?

slowpoke
08-31-2020, 01:43 PM
When I asked about BBs, oldpotatoe recommend Wheels Mfg (granted they're both in Boulder, CO).

When I bought my Wheels Mfg from a third party, the retailer failed to include some spacers, and I didn't notice until six months later. So the retailer wasn't helpful, but I reached out to Wheels Mfg, and they promptly sent me the missing spacers without a charge.

Given my experience, and the fact that their web site has an extensive replacement parts catalog (https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-bracket-parts.html), I'll be opting for Wheels Mfg every time. They strike me as the humble company that makes quality parts at a decent price. You're not paying for their marketing budget here.

re: tools

I recently installed a bottom bracket with a tool that attaches to a 3/8" socket. Given the additional length, it's much easier to torque the BB to 40-50nm than using a narrower and shorter wrench. Get a socket adapter. Also, if you do opt for a Wheels Mfg BB, get their dual-socket tool since they use 48.5mm cups.

Oo0cH
08-31-2020, 03:17 PM
I have a Wheels MFG GXP T47 BB since a few months. It has been the most expensive BB i've ever purchased and hope it lasts a long time. I've installed the cups with the Park Tool BBT-69.2 Cup and torqued it to spec without damaging the cups. The build quality is immaculate, the bearings are "standard" ones that are easily replaceable. If i ever feel the need i can "upgrade" the non-drive bearing to a 24mm inner in order to fit Rotor and Shimano cranks.

Unfortunately the 30mm axle BBs have different bearings so no upgradability there.

hobbanero
08-31-2020, 05:25 PM
I have experience with both Wheels Mfctring and Praxis, but not with the T47 models. Praxis was early with a collet-style BB that solved the creaking issues on my Specialized, so I am partial to them. I have both ceramic and stainless bearing BBs....no discernible difference to me, except for price and a few grams. There is a lot of literature on why ceramic bearings don't matter for bikes. But hey, there are a lot of things on my bike that probably don't matter but they make me happy.