PDA

View Full Version : what's the hot ticket for carbon rim brake pads these days?

54ny77
08-30-2020, 11:50 PM
I have a bike with Swisstop black prince and they work very well.

Looking to get a refresh, as I'm picking up some new carbon rims. What is the best pad these days from Swisstop (or others)?

Went to Swisstop site and there's all kind of pads called Yellow King vs. Black Prince, and a bunch submodels under that. It's bonkers. Would be nice if they did a side-by-side comparison for the uninitiated.

Upcountry
08-31-2020, 09:07 AM
With it being said that I'm not sure if all manufacturers support using other brand pads, the Reynolds Cryo-Blue Power pads are great! I'm sure some of the benefit comes in their wider size, but they are awesome in dry and wet, and I've gotten thousands of miles on a set. Every two weeks or so I'll pull them off and hit them with some 220 sand paper that I've got stuck to the inside of a cabinet door, just to remove the grime, and any debris.

wasfast
08-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Black Prince is still the best answer. They're the first pads for carbon rims I've owned that didn't require toeing to eliminate the squeal.

cmg
08-31-2020, 10:05 AM
I like the carbon rim brake pads i got from Boyd Cycling. They don't seem to heat up the rim as much. touch the rim after braking for a stop light kind of thing.

redir
08-31-2020, 10:09 AM
I'm still using Swissstop yellow but the Black is suposed to be the bomb. No squealing with the yellow's either though.

ridethecliche
08-31-2020, 04:50 PM
Curious about this as well. I have some of the old style reynolds but want something better. Was considering the newer ones but dang they're a tad pricey!

I've heard so many mixed things about some of the swiss stop pads, though lately been hearing good things about the black prince.

hobbanero
08-31-2020, 05:19 PM
+1 for Black Prince. I like the Zipp Platinums also, but they are more expensive for similar performance.

54ny77
08-31-2020, 05:52 PM
The challenge I'm having is that is seems there are now 4 different models of Black Prince:
FlashPro
Full FlashPro
Flash Evo
Race Pro

Lions and tigers and carbon fiber brake pads, oh my.

RoosterCogset
08-31-2020, 06:14 PM
The challenge I'm having is that is seems there are now 4 different models of Black Prince:
FlashPro
Full FlashPro
Flash Evo
Race Pro

Lions and tigers and carbon fiber brake pads, oh my.

Basically all the same material.
FlashPro = Shimano standard, plus Campy lower tier newer groupsets.
Full FlashPro = Same as above but with the pad holder as well
Flash Evo = Low profile -- kinda like buying a worn brake pad so your wide rims can fit. Same compatibility as above
Race Pro = Campy Chorus or higher standard, or anything Campy pre-2016 mostly.

mep
08-31-2020, 06:38 PM
Reynolds cryo blues and Campagnolo reds are the best in the business.

lavi
08-31-2020, 07:20 PM
I have Campy Red (came with my WTOs). I tried the the BP pads when it was time to replace....not even close in terms of stopping performance compared to Campy Reds.

Send me your addy and I'll send you my BP pads. I used them for one 30 mile ride. I don't want them. :banana:

fogrider
09-01-2020, 01:46 AM

I'm running 4 sets of the cryo blues and I thought they are really good. Not quite as good as alum rims, but really good. but I have a set of super lightweight brakes that are just not very powerful so with cryo blue and carbon rims, they were sketchy. Then I got my hands on the cryo power blues, they are awesome! a good 30% better!

jpsawyer23
09-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Heres another vote for the Black Princes. In my experience they've always worked best and dont wear out as fast as some others.

KarlC
09-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Yes this for sure !

But just to be clear its the newer Reynolds Cryo Blue Power brake pads, not the older Reynolds cryo blue pads

dddd
09-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Any thoughts about using Shimano's C4 Carbon pads on DT carbon rims?

Are the Campag red pads noisy? Good in dry conditions (it's dry here)?

I also have Swisstop black and Enve pads here I could try(???).

EDIT: I installed the Bontrager/Swisstop black pads with the DT carbon wheels. Had the wrong (alloy) Shimano C4 pads on there for Sunday's hilly ride and it worked ok but not great. Nothing got damaged.:p

SoCalSteve
09-01-2020, 08:48 PM
Yes this for sure !

But just to be clear its the newer Reynolds Cryo Blue Power brake pads, not the older Reynolds cryo blue pads

Jim,

These are the ones that came with the Reynolds wheels I sold you.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-01-2020, 11:29 PM
Does “best pad” depend on the wheel and brake track? Not talking warranty issues, just real life performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
09-01-2020, 11:37 PM
That's incredibly helpful, thank you.

Basically all the same material.
FlashPro = Shimano standard, plus Campy lower tier newer groupsets.
Full FlashPro = Same as above but with the pad holder as well
Flash Evo = Low profile -- kinda like buying a worn brake pad so your wide rims can fit. Same compatibility as above
Race Pro = Campy Chorus or higher standard, or anything Campy pre-2016 mostly.

54ny77
09-01-2020, 11:45 PM
Thanks Steve yep I put those on they stop like a charm, thank you again!

I'm looking at another set from a pal or I might order something mid-tier from BTLOS or Light-bikes, they seem to get decent reviews here and elsewhere.

Am getting hooked on carbon aero wheels of late, on a particular loop I do on weekends, on various sections I can either: a) descend away from friends when I use carbon deeper section wheels, or b) have to pedal down the same stretches when I use my alu. rims and they're coasting. Literally. The speed diff. btw wheelsets on identical roads using same bike is real, esp. when on longer stretches and the mph gets up there.

Jim,

These are the ones that came with the Reynolds wheels I sold you.