PDA

View Full Version : What's the lifecycle of a pair of quality carbon rims?

54ny77
08-30-2020, 11:27 PM
I've got a pair of Edge 45's that are about 10 yrs. old or so. Former owner is a buddy and very strong masters rider on the track & road. (And to be clear, I'm not a very strong masters rider. ;) ). He had 'em for a few years, am guessing put 10-15k miles on 'em. He was fanatical about bike maintenance, including these wheels.

I've had 'em for about 7 years or so, and if it matters have never had 'em trued (they spin perfect). Mileage during this time is maybe 4k or so. Usage has been on the same local terrain as original owner (So Cal).

The rear wheel is laced to a carbon powertap rear hub, and and I picked up a DT rear hub to have 'em re-laced since I don't use power. A well-respected local wheelbuilder (who likely built these wheels when new) said he will not rebuild 'em since the rim is showing signs of fatigue and he won't risk his reputation or my health on a rebuild, which I respect of course.

I clean the wheels & bike they're on religiously but have never put a magnifying glass to the spoke/rim interface, which he said is showing signs of stress.

Which brings me to my question: what's the lifecycle of a good pair of carbon rims, assuming not abused, etc.?

ergott
08-30-2020, 11:34 PM
Typically it's the brake track that wears out like aluminium rims. I managed to wear one out and it's in my garage attic (Edge 24mm). Are they clinchers? If they are the Edge era of rims is old enough not to be as heat resistant as modern rims. You can get modern rims at all price points that will brake better and far less likely to delaminate under heavy braking so I typically recommend retired them to light duty. In that case I'd just leave the PT hub in there.

Velocipede
08-31-2020, 06:49 AM
It just depends on the materials, manufacturing style, milage and usage/abusage of the wheels. I have a long-time customer who bought some LEW Customs off me 20 years ago. They've only ever been raced in triathlons. So nothing major. He spins, the bike has never been crashed or even dropped. It's kept in a 'Bike room" in their house. So beyond pampered. His LEW wheels are showing micro cracking at the spoke holes. Am I worried? Kind of sort of. This bike is rarely used now BUT the rims are still under constant tension. SO they are always getting stressed. Whether by bumps/riding or due to the spoke tension. It's a different kind of stress but it's still there.

Personally, I feel on an overbuilt carbon wheel, 10 years is long enough. With the tech that's out there now compared to even 5 years ago, newer carbon rims are so much better. And of course they are new. So no worrying about them.

buddybikes
08-31-2020, 09:26 AM
bontrager xxx lite circa 2009 - about 18k on them - not even bearings need changing, just a newer cassette to handle 11sp