PDA

View Full Version : Campy Delta Brakes

Jeff N.
08-30-2020, 06:10 PM
Was think about obtaining a pair for a semi-vintage build but they seem (I really don't know much about them) like a complicated waste of $$$. Anyone here using them? Any and all comments are welcome. -Jeff N.

zzy
08-30-2020, 06:15 PM
On one hand, they're a PITA to setup, but the 5th gen 5 pivot ones actually work very well. They have like 80 parts each and are as complicated as a watch. Either the height of Campy hubris or genius depending on how you look at it. I have a set I was going to list..

John H.
08-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Campy guys like them but I would describe them pretty much like you did. Except I would add heavy and poor stoppers too.

Circa 1989 or 1990 a buddy offered to trade me straight up his Delta calipers for my Dura-Ace. I took the bait and did it.
He totally got over on me! ;)

Hellgate
08-30-2020, 07:13 PM
I lived that pain in the late '80's. Unless you are building a period bike don't bother. Or, be a hero.

fogrider
08-30-2020, 07:16 PM
As others have said, the are heavy and a pain to setup...by this they mean the cable has to be cut exactly the right length. this is because the mounting bolt is just a few mm from the face cover and if the cable is cut too long and the has been tightened, the end frays and the cover won't fit. Too short and the cable will slip. Additionally the allen bolt is small and while I never had the cable slip, I would have felt better with a larger bolt. But they look cool. I would get them if I lived in the flat lands.

Polyglot
08-30-2020, 07:17 PM
They are absolutely overcomplicated and heavy. Nobody can deny that. They also require proper set-up and do not work well at all if not set up properly. Having said that, it should be pointed out that all versions apart from the recalled ones work about as well as any other brake sold at the time WHEN SET UP PROPERLY. Their performance can best be described as adequate for all but the most extreme situations. Like all their contemporaries, they do not however come even remotely close to the performance of most modern brakes, so you need to be somewhat enamored of their design to ever justify their use. As an expression of personal design aesthetic, I personally find them very appealing but I do not delude myself into believing they are a logical purchase. I like the fact that you can appreciate the design while riding the bike too. Lastly, it would appear that they will maintain their value better than almost all vintage components that can be used, so why not?

Proper set-up also involves getting the proper rims as they do not work well with overly narrow rims and it is often advisable to adjust the brakes as teh brake pads wear down.

Jeff N.
08-30-2020, 07:23 PM
'Nuf said....I'll abandon the idea. Thanks, guys. I like keeping things simple.

Hindmost
08-30-2020, 07:34 PM
Look for some Chorus monoplaner calipers. Not as exotic, simpler, still cool, and they work pretty well.

glepore
08-30-2020, 07:41 PM
I dunno. On a vintage build from the 90's they are appropriate, and when set up well with modern pads (kool stop) the work fine, given the limits of tires and wheels from that era. Are they modern ee's, d/a or whatever? No.

C40_guy
08-30-2020, 07:47 PM
I put a set on my '89 Colnago Spiral Conic SLX, and they looked way too big for my small frame. Never actually tried riding with them...

weisan
08-30-2020, 09:13 PM
I owned a pair that came with my Eddy Merckx, kept it around even after I sold the bike because I like to look at it every once in while...

http://alicehui.com/bike/CorsaExtra/c23.jpg

Polyglot
08-30-2020, 09:55 PM
http://alicehui.com/bike/CorsaExtra/c23.jpg

These are Croce d'Aune brakes are too large and unrefined for my taste.

Black Dog
08-30-2020, 10:06 PM

Well, with modern pad holders and pads my 5th gen set stop very well. I run them on 23mm wide rims with 28mm wide tires. There is no road that I would not take them down. The set up is not too bad but requires some attention. If you love the look it's worth it.

Web1111a
08-30-2020, 11:23 PM
These are Croce d'Aune brakes are too large and unrefined for my taste.

How do you know the difference between Croce and Deltas?

RonW87
08-30-2020, 11:33 PM
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a28578374/campagnolo-delta-brake/

When it comes to Campy Deltas, it's like arguing about why you should like Rothko.

Either you fall in love with the Fritz Lang aesthetic or you don't.

Moreso the C-record rear derailleur.

All about the right side of the brain.

FlashUNC
08-30-2020, 11:37 PM
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a28578374/campagnolo-delta-brake/

When it comes to Campy Deltas, it's like arguing about why you should like Rothko.

Either you fall in love with the Fritz Lang aesthetic or you don't.

Moreso the C-record rear derailleur.

All about the right side of the brain.

Number 14 for me.

https://www.mark-rothko.org/number-14.jsp#prettyPhoto

choke
08-30-2020, 11:38 PM
I love Deltas, I would take them over any dual or single pivot brakes every time. They do take a bit more care to set up but once you have figured it out it's not too bad. I currently have 5 bikes with them.

These are Croce d'Aune brakes are too large and unrefined for my taste. I prefer the CdA Deltas because they will fit a much larger tire than Records.

How do you know the difference between Croce and Deltas? The easiest way is that the springs are exposed on the back of the body. But they also are shaped a bit different and it's easy to distinguish between the two. Look at the top of the body; the part that holds the cover on is conical on the CdA version while on the Record is is more of an oval and has an o-ring on it.

Polyglot
08-31-2020, 01:00 AM

They have a greater distance between the stirrups and the springs are external (on the rear side) instead of internal and because of the width they often extend outside the width of the fork.

osbk67
08-31-2020, 01:49 AM
I had later-generation Record Delta brakes in the late 80s and liked them enough to transfer from frame to frame for several years. Worked satisfactorily by the standards of the day with original black pads on 22mm rims. As temperamental to set up as everyone says, not a task to be undertaken without a spare inner cable readily available nor with less than half an afternoon available and after having ridden that day.

If I could track down a similar pair in rideable used condition at less than investment grade prices I'd have them onto my 1997 Bianchi in days and ride it happily towards the horizon for quite some time...

I remember well an ex-TdF pro describe them as ABS for bicycles - impossible to lock up under any conditions.

Black Dog
08-31-2020, 06:02 AM
I had later-generation Record Delta brakes in the late 80s and liked them enough to transfer from frame to frame for several years. Worked satisfactorily by the standards of the day with original black pads on 22mm rims. As temperamental to set up as everyone says, not a task to be undertaken without a spare inner cable readily available nor with less than half an afternoon available and after having ridden that day.

If I could track down a similar pair in rideable used condition at less than investment grade prices I'd have them onto my 1997 Bianchi in days and ride it happily towards the horizon for quite some time...

I remember well an ex-TdF pro describe them as ABS for bicycles - impossible to lock up under any conditions.

I have heard that type of comment many times but it does not equal fact if the brakes are set up correctly.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2020, 06:03 AM
Was think about obtaining a pair for a semi-vintage build but they seem (I really don't know much about them) like a complicated waste of $$$. Anyone here using them? Any and all comments are welcome. -Jeff N.

Used them for decades on a variety of bikes..DeRosas, Merckx(on my MXLeader now), Ciocc, others. Yes, a little more time consuming to set up propwrly but great looking and they work great..in spite of some 'internet cowboys' who have never owned and sometimes never seen them who poo-poo them..

Too bad..after 7 posts of some who probably have never set them up or used them, you decide not too. The 5 pivot are great brakes.
not a task to be undertaken without a spare inner cable readily available nor with less than half an afternoon available and after having ridden that day.

My Aunt Matilda's mustache. If it takes you hours to set these up, ya need to read or watch some videos..Open brake lever, pull cable tight, secure with set screw, close lever, squeeze, trim cable end with sharp cable cutters, cover back on, go ride. ..really not, as they say, 'rocket surgery'...

oldpotatoe
08-31-2020, 06:07 AM

Probably answered somewhere above but the CDA had external springs, the Record Deltas had 2 internal springs.

R3awak3n
08-31-2020, 06:30 AM
regardless if they are great or not, they are just way too expensive for not being much better than other options?

I will give them that they are super cool looking, some of the best looking brakes ever made. I never used them so can't say how good they are but imo just too expensive to find out... if u can find some at a good price though, I think they will look the part on a vintage build.

Velocipede
08-31-2020, 07:01 AM
Used them for decades on a variety of bikes..DeRosas, Merckx(on my MXLeader now), Ciocc, others. Yes, a little more time consuming to set up propwrly but great looking and they work great..in spite of some 'internet cowboys' who have never owned and sometimes never seen them who poo-poo them..

Too bad..after 7 posts of some who probably have never set them up or used them, you decide not too. The 5 pivot are great brakes.

My Aunt Matilda's mustache. If it takes you hours to set these up, ya need to read or watch some videos..Open brake lever, pull cable tight, secure with set screw, close lever, squeeze, trim cable end with sharp cable cutters, cover back on, go ride. ..really not, as they say, 'rocket surgery'...

I agree with Peter on this. I have never had a problem setting these up and working properly. You just need to know what you're doing. They take about 10-15 minutes to do from start to finish including running the wires. No longer than any other brakes. I have people still using them now whose bikes I work on. So clearly they stop or they'd be dead and I'd never see them again.

So many people love to hate on Campy and these brakes specifically. Yes, a bit overcomplicated. But art is that way sometimes. So is technology or really anything mechanical. These are no different. You just have know what you're doing in the end.

sg8357
08-31-2020, 07:31 AM

Jeopardy category, Old Potato takes "Dodgy Brakes for $200"

Which brakes causes more grief for bike mechanics

A: Campy Delta
B: MAFAC Racer/Raid
C: Low profile Cantilever

jamesdak
08-31-2020, 07:52 AM

Got a set on my recent "grail" bike purchase. Heading to the bike shop today for new brake cables and then I'll have a go at this. Seriously doubt it will be a real problem.

Oh and I'm in the "they look beautiful" camp. Saw my first ones in real life on an old De Rosa race bike and have been in love with them every since.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170999417.jpg

charliedid
08-31-2020, 08:02 AM
I love Deltas, I would take them over any dual or single pivot brakes every time. They do take a bit more care to set up but once you have figured it out it's not too bad. I currently have 5 bikes with them.

I prefer the CdA Deltas because they will fit a much larger tire than Records.

The easiest way is that the springs are exposed on the back of the body. But they also are shaped a bit different and it's easy to distinguish between the two. Look at the top of the body; the part that holds the cover on is conical on the CdA version while on the Record is is more of an oval and has an o-ring on it.

I think that was the marketing tagline from Campy.

Delta Brakes - "They're not too bad"

Big Dan
08-31-2020, 08:18 AM
The good thing I found about the delta brakes is that they sell fast on ebay.

Columbus SLX
08-31-2020, 09:05 AM
I love mine. Run them if you love the looks and have the right bike for them...it's all about context.

colker
08-31-2020, 10:11 AM
Got a set on my recent "grail" bike purchase. Heading to the bike shop today for new brake cables and then I'll have a go at this. Seriously doubt it will be a real problem.

Oh and I'm in the "they look beautiful" camp. Saw my first ones in real life on an old De Rosa race bike and have been in love with them every since.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170999417.jpg

I am a fan of odd looking brakes and this is beautifull. Bicycle does not look too bad either.

colker
08-31-2020, 10:12 AM
I love mine. Run them if you love the looks and have the right bike for them...it's all about context.

A red De Rosa w/ proper seatpost.

choke
08-31-2020, 10:24 AM
I think that was the marketing tagline from Campy.

Delta Brakes - "They're not too bad"Ha. I was referring to setting them up.

And since a thread can always use more pics..

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/P3.JPG

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/081915c.jpg

ultraman6970
08-31-2020, 12:25 PM
I have a set of Delta in one of my bikes... they do work, the set up is not as hard as they say but clearly the 1st time will be a problem, second time will take less time.

charliedid
08-31-2020, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=choke;2786055]Ha. I was referring to setting them up.

Yeah they look cool in the right place and time.

Black Dog
08-31-2020, 08:31 PM

haha, you do know Old Potatoes occupation before he retired a few years ago?

Mike V
08-31-2020, 09:40 PM
Ha. I was referring to setting them up.

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/P3.JPG

So much cool on the Pegoretti

Peg, Delta neo/retro, Belgian spacer, Campagnolo world logo, silver, silve, silver box, tan wall, Tader era bottles, no effs given ride on dirt, steel flat crown, carbon nope! Class X infinitely

19wisconsin64
08-31-2020, 09:55 PM
If you do get a set of Delta brake calipers I'd suggest getting the later five pivot versions, and if possible get the best possible brake pads you can find that will fit. As mentioned, properly set up they work well. Not properly setup....the funniest thing I've both experienced and heard about them....."speed attenuators".

Lots of folks on this forum ride them.

oldpotatoe
09-01-2020, 06:14 AM
I agree with Peter on this. I have never had a problem setting these up and working properly. You just need to know what you're doing. They take about 10-15 minutes to do from start to finish including running the wires. No longer than any other brakes. I have people still using them now whose bikes I work on. So clearly they stop or they'd be dead and I'd never see them again.

So many people love to hate on Campy and these brakes specifically. Yes, a bit overcomplicated. But art is that way sometimes. So is technology or really anything mechanical. These are no different. You just have know what you're doing in the end.

LIke I said, internet 'cowboys'...:)

oldpotatoe
09-01-2020, 06:16 AM

Like I said, internet cowboys...Most 'bike mechanics' can't even spell Delta or 'MAFAC' and needed help with most cantis....

Maybe not but who cares..I stopped listening to 'experts' a long time ago..now more so on the interweb.

Velocipede
09-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Like I said, internet cowboys...Most 'bike mechanics' can't even spell Delta or 'MAFAC' and needed help with most cantis....

I think the current crop of mechanics in shops have no clue about so many parts unlike you and I. I mean, the current ones don't have the tricks and tweaks that we would use in setting up or working on bikes. And it's kind of our faults- us older guys who've worked on a 2 speed kickback or Positron drivetrain or a Schwinn Varsity/Continental with a freewheel crankset. And it's not like the stuff isn't out there still. It's not like they come in daily like in the 70s and 80s, but since most mechanics have never been to UBI or have ever seen a Sutherlands manual they just don't know.

It's like the internet cowboys you mentioned about the Delta brakes. They aren't that complicated. They work amazingly well if you set them up properly. And like everything, things work better if you set it properly. I mean people put tires on wrong all the time. Just pay attention is all.

sg8357
09-01-2020, 07:45 AM

Bike Mechanic 1 Class with crossed Golden Cone Wrenches,
holder of the prized "3lb Birmingham Screw Driver" certification.