PDA

View Full Version : Fierte ti v.s. legend? Big $$ but ride?

Dekonick
05-18-2004, 09:00 PM
has anyone ridden a fierte ti - how does it compare to a legend?

I am a few years from my next bike purchase, (gotta wait until my CR is 15 before I feel its ok to put it out to pasture on da trainer - the cheap Bianchi on the trainer then becomes the mud/rain ride...

But looking at the cost difference, the fierte could possibly be an answer...

I would probably build either one with similar components - full ultegra, mavic open pro - etc... middle of the road stuff that can be upgraded later. I even consider possibly getting a legend and tossing my campy veloce onto it to save $$ to offset frame cost. - ill get sora or 105 to replace the veloce group on the bianchi -

It would look odd on the road tho - a legend with an 8 speed groupo. hmmm

FierteTi52
05-19-2004, 07:10 AM
I own a Fierte Ti and have been very happy. If you can acheive the proper fit, the bike is a great deal. If you have unique needs, then custom may be required for a proper fit. The Fierte Ti is designed with geometry and tubing to work well for the most riders. I have never compared it to a Legend, so I can't help you there.
Jeff

Fuzzybird
05-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Dekonick,

I own a model year 2000 Classic Ti and have been extremely happy with the ride. I owned two other bikes Trek carbon and Alum. and they never gotten ridden because I enjoyed the Ti ride so much. I've never rode a Legend but it's gotta be really close to the Fierte Ti. You would probably have to ride both awhile to tell the difference anway!

Dekonick
05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys! This may be my saving grace. I gotta go to the not so local Serotta dealer for a fit to see - but first I gotta save enough $$ just in case I get hooked on the Legend (it was easier to save $$ in college! Could eat PP&J or Pasta and save all bucks for a bike. With a house, wife, and kids on the horizon, cycling gets low priority for funding). I dont want to go in without the option to go for the Legend - after all I keep my bikes (at least my serotta) as long as they beg to be ridden. :p

My starter bikes when I was in college I changed often - starting with a too small univega (yeah yeah - I know but it was my first 'real' road bike) then changing to a specialized epic (you could actually feel the frame bend when climbing! say no to old school carbon!) then I tried an allez - again no thanks. And one day I decided to try this (unknown to me at the time) steel bike - serotta. Fell in love. I have tried other bikes on test rides - klein alum., Le Mond steel (dont like the geometry at all), Trek 5200 (at least I think it was a 5200)

But no bike comes close to my old Serotta - well waterford was nice but if I am gonna spring for a waterford I would go for Serotta again.