PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Masks in Place, the Tour de France Puts On a Brave Face

Tony T
08-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Masks in Place, the Tour de France Puts On a Brave Face

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/sports/cycling/virus-tour-de-france.html

Mr. Pink
08-28-2020, 06:16 PM
And yet:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53934952

I just dont get this.

If I was a very young TDF rider, I'd protect my lungs and pass on 2020.

robt57
08-28-2020, 06:18 PM
I wanna see Jens with the mic in hand, his mask silk screened with "Shut Up Covid".

oldpotatoe
08-29-2020, 06:27 AM
Masks in Place, the Tour de France Puts On a Brave Face

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/sports/cycling/virus-tour-de-france.html

Paywall...:eek:

France is seeing an uptick in infections..the race isn't going to help..
https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/23/france-reports-record-covid-19-cases-since-may-lockdown-as-global-infections-rise

Not a million new cases in 17 days(like the US) but still troubling..for a bike race..:eek:

Mr. Pink
08-29-2020, 07:58 AM
You have to wonder about a sporting event when one of it's biggest stars, if not the biggest (sagan) publicly pleads with fans not to show up and watch.

jlwdm
08-29-2020, 08:23 AM
You have to wonder about a sporting event when one of it's biggest stars, if not the biggest (sagan) publicly pleads with fans not to show up and watch.

What is to wonder about? Major US sports don’t allow spectators. At the Tour it is hard to control.

Jeff

dbnm
08-29-2020, 08:38 AM
What a mess.

apple
08-29-2020, 08:53 AM
I had just assumed they were canceling this year until I saw it pop up in the news this morning. Really bad decision to hold it during a pandemic.

cal_len1
08-31-2020, 08:10 AM
It was interesting listening to Francois Thomazeau on The Cycling Podcast talk about this. He says there is no conversation in French media about whether the Tour should happen. Apparently the thought is that the show must go on, and life needs to return to (mostly) normal. Seems like people are taking masks and (generally) distancing seriously. This is not a defense of whether or not this thought process is correct.

paredown
08-31-2020, 10:56 AM
I've found it interesting to watch the roadside shots--where ever I have seen clusters of people, masks are very much present. No scrums of people at the stage ends, mechanics/team support staff wearing masks, riders wearing masks while milling around before the event starts, masks on the podium...

I don't think that the spectators are in any real danger--outside, minimal contact--although I do worry about the team members on the bus together--it just takes one. So far though--AFAIK--the stages have not required lengthy transport so I'm assuming that is part of the plan.

The danger is (as has been the case in the US) is if the celebrations by fans move into bars or restaurants...

Davist
08-31-2020, 12:10 PM
TV ad revenue is the "why". Seems reasonable precautions are taking place. see other TV thread (all day every day in UK for example) for details.

cmg
08-31-2020, 01:14 PM
TV ad revenue is the "why". Seems reasonable precautions are taking place. see other TV thread (all day every day in UK for example) for details.

Same reason for the Indy 500, NASCAR, American football, NBA/WNBA basketball. series are sold to TV , they sell ad time.

jlwdm
08-31-2020, 03:54 PM
TDF seems to have great protocols.

The British Open and Wimbledon did not delay their events for one reason - they had pandemic insurance. Mad more money by cancelling.

Jeff

colker
08-31-2020, 05:12 PM

Athletes especially elite cyclists doing 200km a day have lower immunity than us. The risks are much higher and reasonable is borderline dangerous.

572cv
08-31-2020, 07:11 PM
I've found it interesting to watch the roadside shots--where ever I have seen clusters of people, masks are very much present. No scrums of people at the stage ends, mechanics/team support staff wearing masks, riders wearing masks while milling around before the event starts, masks on the podium...

I don't think that the spectators are in any real danger--outside, minimal contact--although I do worry about the team members on the bus together--it just takes one. So far though--AFAIK--the stages have not required lengthy transport so I'm assuming that is part of the plan.

The danger is (as has been the case in the US) is if the celebrations by fans move into bars or restaurants...

I saw the same thing over the last few days. People on the road sides are wearing masks, and they seem to get it: the show will go on, but only if people are serious about protecting themselves and others. My observation over the years is that the French take the social compact, which now involves distancing, seriously. And the government message is consistent.

Here in Vermont, we are largely doing the only things we can do.... social distancing, mask wearing, and getting a consistent and steady message from government. We are regularly reminded by the state that it will take vigilance, that we have to maintain that. And, we get a lot of straight up data to reinforce the message. It’s one of the safest places in the nation to be, as a consequence.

I hope the TDF makes it to Paris, and that the ‘experiment’ in maintaining bubbles in such an event works. Each of these efforts at dealing with the pandemic will teach us something.

oldpotatoe
09-01-2020, 06:53 AM
And yet:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53934952

I just dont get this.

If I was a very young TDF rider, I'd protect my lungs and pass on 2020.

I agree..better to cancel before it starts rather than cancel it during BUT..too late..too bad....people will get sick from watching a bike race and some will die..a shame.
No scrums of people at the stage ends

Really.... not true from the finish line at Stage 2..BUNCHES of crammed together people, 'most' wearing masks, more than a few not or having it below their nose.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2020, 09:59 AM
And shouting and screaming, which only intensifies the transmission.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Athletes especially elite cyclists doing 200km a day have lower immunity than us. The risks are much higher and reasonable is borderline dangerous.

Another factor is that, since we're talking the end of September for final mountain stages, snow and cold on the passes. At least in the lower stages, on nice days (which are even a little shaky so far), everyone is outside and naturally distant.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2020, 01:25 PM
And here we go. Just got a notice on my FB feed that the high Alps in Switzerland towards France just got a foot of snow. In late late August.

AngryScientist
09-01-2020, 01:27 PM
And here we go. Just got a notice on my FB feed that the high Alps in Switzerland towards France just got a foot of snow. In late late August.

that'll keep the tourists back, haha.