PDA

View Full Version : OT. 2020 Honda Fit

PSC
08-28-2020, 02:27 PM
My wife had a 2008 Honda Fit, which she traded in for a 2016 Mazda CX5. She didn't really like the CX5, so she is looking at a 2020 Honda Fit. We are wondering how they have changed for better or for worse? What other cars do people have that are in the Honda Fit category. FYI, we traded the CX5 when we bought a camper.

Ralph
08-28-2020, 02:48 PM
My son has an old one (140,000 miles)...one of first generation....very reliable considering the cost. I assume newer ones are very reliable (though cheaply made), and haul stuff good with those "magic" seats. But it's being discontinued. Imagine there will be a more entry level version of the HRV. it also has the magic seats. The Fit is a little too basic for this old man. I would consider the HRV. Other than some styling changes, I believe new Fit has same 1.5 4 cylinder engine as original one....5 speed auto (then CVT last version) instead of 4 speed. Drum brakes in rear still, not much noise insulation, things like that. Some of the hi end Fit's, with leather and NAV, etc.....are priced so high, might as well look at a higher level car IMO. None of my criticisms have any thing to do with last long it might last.

robt57
08-28-2020, 03:19 PM
My wife had a 2008 Honda Fit, which she traded in for a 2016 Mazda CX5. She didn't really like the CX5, so she is looking at a 2020 Honda Fit. We are wondering how they have changed for better or for worse? What other cars do people have that are in the Honda Fit category. FYI, we traded the CX5 when we bought a camper.

Well, we've had last two generations of CRV/AWD. When we needed a second car to replace Del Sol our graduate wanted..
Having had both gens CRV, I'd say the last gen is vastly better in use, and inside space, same MPG.

CX5 Test driven, red metallic color luved!, seats and car over all MEH for us. CX7 test driven, too much coin seats same feeling.

My Sis got a new CX5 and started having back problems and lost a lot of money in 6 months. I'd have put a Recaro in it, she traded it.

We tried the 2018 fit LX CRV, Base 5 Speed, and Sport CVT with paddle shifter nonsense.

Bought the LX CVT.

Skipped right over the HRV when we saw the crash rating lower than the Fit and CRV. COnsidering we lost a 2015 CRV with 20k to a total I drove my wife home from, not compromising there.

The Fit is like a Tardis, way bigger on the inside, great seat cfg standard, low floor. Over just over 40 MPG avg.

The Fit in winter with full wheels snows seem just as good as the AWD CRV, once the CRV tires loose 1/2 the meat. Not expected.

CRV last Gen VG IMO. OUR CVT-AWD was sitting at 30.5 avg before I did a few trips with the Aluminum 5x8 trailer, dump run, return big tiller to friend, pick up fencing and kayak. Now sitting 29.5 avg.

Any specific questions, just ask.

Ours is the 2.4 non turbo, the AWD rated to tow 2k. The Alloy trailer is 340 lb and I have towed too much carefully once or twice. I figured the lack of rust and approx 300lb lighter trailer was worth the ample added expense over a steel from previous experience. That's 300 more payload and 4 cyl less work over all. Fit does not have a towing capacity I believe.

Usually the hitch gets an alloy augmented 16lb bike rack with plastic 15-16 lb bike. ;)

The Del Sol had a hitch as could the Fit, for bike rack, the 1-1/4 type. Bike and hitch 40 lbs tongue weight most, but might could handle a porker bike. ;) Not that I would possible have a porker bike and live with myself. [bike forum after all]

Ken Robb
08-28-2020, 03:34 PM
I read that the 2021 Fit would also be offered as a hybrid.

mhespenheide
08-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Having had both gens CRV, I'd say the last gen is vastly better in use, and inside space, same MPG.
OUR CVT-AWD was sitting at 30.5

Which model year CR-V? And it was getting 30mpg? Or am I mixing up two vehicles?

scoobydrew
08-28-2020, 03:49 PM
I read that the 2021 Fit would also be offered as a hybrid.

Not for the US. Unfortunately, the Fit is getting dropped after the 2020 model year here.

skijoring
08-28-2020, 04:02 PM
Final assembly of FIT after 2012 was moved from Japan to other locations...something to consider.

robt57
08-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Which model year CR-V? And it was getting 30mpg? Or am I mixing up two vehicles?

Both LX, 2015 & 2017 CRV AWD didn't go south of 29.2-29.5. I am sure a heavy foot could make it less. And not a lot of stop and go for us I'd add.

I did not like the turbo 1.5 CRV on tst drive when we got the 2018 LX.

The turbo lag and CRT together I found annoying. Like a double non linear power curve thing going on. So if you test drive one with the 1.5 turbo see how you feel about it. Beside a 3600+ lb vehicle with a 1.5 motor... for me, wrong boxes checked.

I think the non turbo is going away with the Fit for 2021.

Plus, it turned out motor problems with the early 1.5 turbo CRVs 2018 into 2019. Made the 2.4 LX decision seem even more sound after the fact.

mktng
08-28-2020, 04:05 PM
From your old one to the new one. I believe a bit more power. 5spd is now 6spd. Added safety and entertainment features. Slightly larger interior. Optional sunroof. Automatic is now CVT?

Personally. I like the 2012's. Back when the were still made in Japan ;) haha

robt57
08-28-2020, 04:07 PM
BTW, a quick google shows the 1.5 CRV has 500 lb less towing capacity. What does that say to you you'd have to decide.

Even non towing, that sez the to me the motor won't last as long in theory. Not to mention the added load with extra heat and the oil getting hotter [turbo]etc etc.

You should google all this yourself. The 2019 turbo FWD not AWD tows 1500 it seems. Not up on post 2017-18s and that is what we have.

EDIT: 1500 tow for mine in the Manual. I was probably remembering the Equinox I had saying 2k. Show how important your own research is and not some old cyclists memory....

rnhood
08-28-2020, 04:33 PM
The Kia Soul is not a bad little car, has plenty of storage and gets excellent mileage. And it's not overpriced. The Hyundai Kona is another nice little car that is highly rated.

The Fit is a nice little car that has served many people well. Sorry they are discontinuing it.

jtbadge
08-28-2020, 04:34 PM
I rented a Soul for a weekend and while it was a fine car, there is almost no usable cargo space. Couldn't fit two carry on suitcases in the back.

robt57
08-28-2020, 04:37 PM
The Kia Soul is not a bad little car, has plenty of storage and gets excellent mileage. And it's not overpriced.

We know we people with these."Seldom is heard, a disparaging word" actually never heard. Two are older and the luv is still there too.

Ken Robb
08-28-2020, 05:51 PM
Not for the US. Unfortunately, the Fit is getting dropped after the 2020 model year here.
That's what I originally posted and then I searched on line to be sure and I found an article with pix and many details of the updated FIT. I did not read the whole article to see where it would be sold. I test drove one when they first came out and decided it wasn't "enough car" for me: too slow, rough ride, mediocre handling so I bought a used MINI Cooper S for about the same price. Obviously the FIT would have been better for hauling bikes and stuff and cheaper to operate but I just didn't enjoy driving it.

stephenmarklay
08-29-2020, 05:47 AM
I had a 2015 manual and I really liked it. It had the up level EX trim and I thought for the money I paid (around 17k) it had a nice level of features.

I liked the turn signal mounted camera, the large LCD, the surprisingly large interior, the average MPG (one of the best gasoline cars).

If they keep it in the states I would get another.

soulspinner
08-29-2020, 06:00 AM

yup

williammmm
08-29-2020, 07:20 AM
The Kia Soul is not a bad little car, has plenty of storage and gets excellent mileage. And it's not overpriced.

+1 for the Kia Soul.

We bought my wife one back in January. She has that mustardy yellow one. We test drove a Fit and it was a lot more cramped feeling inside than the Soul (although the Fit appeared to have more cargo room).

Since January we’ve driven the car from Austin to Louisville and back, Austin to Tampa and back, and next week we are driving to/from Marfa. It’s been a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikej
08-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Honda is stopping production on the Fit got US sales-

Mr. Pink
08-29-2020, 07:54 AM
I drive a '19 HRV, no complaints. It's big enough to hold a bicycle inside, my minimum size for a car. Doubt the Fit can do that with my size bike plus luggage. A buddy has a Kia Soul, and that is an impressive value. Also plenty of room inside, but no AWD.