PDA

View Full Version : LOOK clipless question: float

Tz779
08-28-2020, 02:10 PM
hey PL ppl,
do all Look pedals/cleats have the same amount of float? i just made switch to clipless and i find the amount my foot can move, umm, i dont’t like it! hahah. anyway, the tension is at max. i would say my heel can move sideways ( parallel to the road) idk, a two inch arc? i am guessing the float is to protect your knees? are all clipless systems like this? thanks in advance! oh, mine are Keo Classic model.
robin

buckfifty
08-28-2020, 02:49 PM
the amount of float is dependent on the color cleats you have.
black 0°
grey 4.5°
red 9°
the tension of the spring relates to the amount of force required to release the cleat from the pedal

ScottW
08-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Float on Look Keo pedals can be changed by swapping to different cleats. The standard grey cleats that most of their pedals ship with are 4.5 degree, but you can buy 0 degree (black) or 9 degree (red) cleats if you prefer.

ScottW
08-28-2020, 02:52 PM
Also, if you're new to clipless pedals I would strongly recommend you keep the release tension on the looser end of the adjustment range. For one, tightening that won't reduce the float (which seems to be your main complaint), and two, you want them loose enough to unclip without having to really think about it during any "oh ****" moments.

madsciencenow
08-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Also, if you're new to clipless pedals I would strongly recommend you keep the release tension on the looser end of the adjustment range. For one, tightening that won't reduce the float (which seems to be your main complaint), and two, you want them loose enough to unclip without having to really think about it during any "oh ****" moments.

Solid advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tz779
08-28-2020, 03:37 PM
the amount of float is dependent on the color cleats you have.
black 0°
grey 4.5°
red 9°
the tension of the spring relates to the amount of force required to release the cleat from the pedal

got it! thank you!

Tz779
08-28-2020, 03:38 PM

i did at first! i have it down now! thanks!