PDA

View Full Version : Shift help?

TexasJohn
08-28-2020, 01:05 PM
I have a Campagnolo 11 speed group. And when I the shift the front and the back simultaneously (double thumb shift) the front going from the big ring to the small ring, I tend to drop the chain frequently. How do I rectify this?

I’m sure this has been covered before, but I can’t find it when I search for it. Thanks in advance for your help.

nooneline
08-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Well, it's hard to know exactly, but a proper setup would make sure that your chain is not too long and that your FD's lower limit screw is properly set. Those are the first two things I'd look at.

If you can't prevent it and need to manage it, a chain catcher - properly set - can help.

charliedid
08-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Don't do that :)

robt57
08-28-2020, 02:25 PM
Sounds like you are already cross chained on big ring and a cassette big cog. A double thumb dump cross chained is a no no. But if you gotta, get an anti chain drop device.

You may have too much chain too.

I don't get drops personally, out of 12+ rolling road bikes. But, the ones that would loose A LOT of value if I did get either a seat post shark tooth type, or FD mount K-Edge type anyway. And a few of said bikes are Treks which have a well engineered system for it. Not that the the treks are worth enough to fit into the above value category. But one is a Team Issue that is near impossible to duplicate without tons on effort/expense.

teleguy57
08-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Anti chain dropper is a backup to a well-tuned front derailleur. Search for a number of thread (Old Potatoe is a member to check out) on adjusting the front derailleur. I've pretty much eliminated chain drops on my Campag 11 stuff, and that's even with Rotor Q-rings on my Campy cranks.

And agree, don't do it from big/big. But making that double shift with Campy -- good stuff!