PDA

View Full Version : Local Loops: Which Flavor Do You Prefer?

XXtwindad
08-28-2020, 12:42 PM
It's amazing how alternate routes of the same loop can have a completely different feel. I opted to attack my favorite local loop from a different vantage point today - and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much.

It's well known to East Bay riders: the loop involving Pinehurst and Redwood Roads off of Skyline Boulevard. I usually go down Redwood and up Pinehurst. (profiles attached. My usual route is first) I see many cyclist doing the opposite. I assume it's because the slog up Pinehurst is a real grind. But that's exactly why I didn't enjoy going down it today - the grade is to steep and the bends too narrow to really let go of the brakes and coast.

The descent down Redwood Road, on the other hand, is just exhilarating. It's the closest I've come to feeling like I'm in a car commercial next to the "Sisters" on Tam.

Also, Redwood approaching Skyline is much more trafficked than Pinehurst, and I like to be going at the pace of traffic (descending) rather than climbing next to a lot of cars.

Anyone else have a local loop where they have a definite preference for one route over the other?

joosttx
08-28-2020, 12:52 PM
The ones I’m not allowed to post on the Internet.

ibis
08-28-2020, 01:01 PM
Your ride goes right past my Brother in laws house. I've done the upper part of that ride numerous times but I always dropped into Montclair. Thats a great ride.

My go to ride without thinking is Paradise Loop starting at Ocean Beach, over the GGB, through Sausalito and over to Camino Alto, Tamalpais to Paradise, Tiburon Blvd, then back through Sausalito and up and over the GGB again and drop down to Ocean Beach.

Sometimes stop for a latte at Equator if the wife is with me. It's a nice spin. 45ish miles but only around 2800' elevation.