PDA

View Full Version : Information on RBD Bikes?

Buckeye
08-28-2020, 10:03 AM
Hello, I am a new user of this forum and I hope to contribute to the conversation here as time allows.

To introduce myself, I have been a cyclist in some form or another for about 30 years. Early in my cycling years I raced some criteriums here and there but mostly rode with competitive cycling groups and with guys that were faster than me. Every now and then I would surprise myself and would be able to put the hurt on them during a ride but more often than not they got the better of me. I am way too big physically to be a good climber but I am a decent sprinter. I like to ride on- and off-road but don't ride off-road nearly enough. After I went through my "fast riding" phase I would occasionally ride in sponsored centuries and most often rode casually on the streets around my home, nearby rails-to-trails, while on vacation, etc. I almost always take a bike with me while on vacation. I do not ride nearly as much as I would like to. While my kids were young I spent a lot of time with them and we did a lot of activities that did not allow me to ride as much as I would have liked to.

All of this brings me to my next point - I need a new bike or I need to upgrade what I have. On our vacation this summer to Colorado I ended up taking my daughter's hybrid, with female specific geometry, just so that I could get some miles in. The bike was heavy and I was easily passed by other cyclists but at least I was able to ride. I have a Bridgestone RB-1 with a frame that is still in great shape. It has an old Ultgra groupset that is more than likely quite inferior to the current lower-level groupsets of Shimano. I also have a aluminum Altec2 road bike that is also in decent shape. I have decided that I am going to definitely keep the Bridgestone and put some money into it as I really like the ride and the stretched out feel of it. My off-road bike is a Trek hard tail that suits my usage fine. I am also looking for another decent road bike that I can ride now before I put time into refurbishing the Bridgestone. Part of the issue in getting that bike ready, as most of you here know, is that there seems to be a shortage of bike parts and components. My dream bike is a higher level steel or titanium frame but I do not want to spend that kind of money now. I more than likely will settle on a mid-level steel or aluminum frame.

In looking for a bike I came across this website RBD Bikes (http://bestroadbikedeals.com/). There are a lot of really good bikes on the site but some of the pricing seems to be too low to be true. I tried to find information about the company but little has come up. Also, I did use the search function on this website and was not able to get information. Does anyone here have experience with this company or do you know of anyone that has dealt with them? Any replies, good or bad, are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Jeff Weir
08-28-2020, 10:20 AM
I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 foot pole

AngryScientist
08-28-2020, 10:24 AM
welcome to the forum!

100% probability of that site being a scam.

Buckeye
08-28-2020, 11:59 AM
That's about what I thought. The pricing just seemed too good. The old adage of "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the website.

The bike there that caught my attention was this Surly Pacer (http://bestroadbikedeals.com/products/2016-Surly-Pacer-105-10-Speed-Bike.html). I guess one of my first clues should have been how it was described as a Surly Pacer 105 10 Speed Bike. "10 Speed Bike" - when I was a kid that was how we described any multi-gear bike with drop handlebars. It was cool to have a 10 speed bike :D

Anyway, that is about the type of bike that I am looking for. A good solid steel frame with a decent groupset and compact gearing. If anyone has suggestions, let me know. I'll also scour this website and others for info/suggestions.

rccardr
08-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Looks to me like a clearing house for past year models made in Asia.

I’d be tempted to contact PayPal and ask what their complaint record is.

lookout2015
08-28-2020, 12:43 PM
That’s not even that great of a price for that Surly. That’s a model that’s been discontinued for a couple of years now at least, and MSRP when new was probably $1400 or so

You will probably have better luck looking in the used market (eBay, craigslist, etc). At least around here, pretty much anything under $2500 is sold out for new

Clancy
08-28-2020, 06:37 PM
Looks to me like a clearing house for past year models made in Asia.

I’d be tempted to contact PayPal and ask what their complaint record is.

Is that possible and if so how?

Ralph
08-28-2020, 06:59 PM
Check out bikesdirect.com. Not a scam. Their TI bikes....labeled as Motobecane have frames made by Ora Engineering....a mass production company in Taiwan that makes bike frames for many different makes. About on a level with Lynskey or Lite Speed. Lot of value I think. Don't know what they have in stock now. Have all kinds....carbon frame, aluminum, Ti, etc. Bare frames or ready to ride with all levels of components. Free shipping, and you do minor assembly. Incredible prices.

PTinz
08-29-2020, 02:15 AM
Check out bikesdirect.com. Not a scam. Their TI bikes....labeled as Motobecane have frames made by Ora Engineering....a mass production company in Taiwan that makes bike frames for many different makes. About on a level with Lynskey or Lite Speed. Lot of value I think. Don't know what they have in stock now. Have all kinds....carbon frame, aluminum, Ti, etc. Bare frames or ready to ride with all levels of components. Free shipping, and you do minor assembly. Incredible prices.

Another vote for bikesdirect, riding their motobecane badged, reynolds 853 tubed gravel bike now. $1799, mechanical GRX spec’d, DT wheels wrapped in panaracer GK (38 mm) Rubber. Just shy of 3000 miles since January on it, great riding machine.

Nomadmax
08-29-2020, 03:43 AM
Ride the RB-1 you already have for the rest of this season and next. If you want something more modern after that, spend some real money and buy something really nice.

It ain't the bike, it's the engine.

Louis
08-29-2020, 03:54 AM
Buckeye,

If I were you I'd keep an eye on the Classifieds here for the type of frameset you're really interested in. If one shows up that works for you on size and price go for it. You can then take your time and build it up as you wish with mix of new and used components. Don't be impatient, and unless you're super short or super tall, you'll almost certainly find what you want.

Good Luck with the project.

Buckeye
09-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone.

I wrote to RBD Bikes on the contact form that is on the website. I asked them for their email address so that I could verify their business information on PayPal and to no surprise, they did not respond. There is a phone number in Malaysia and I've thought about calling them but at this point I should probably just scratch them off of the list.

Regarding Bikes Direct and Motobecane Bikes - I think that back in the day, when Motobecanes were made in France, they had a somewhat decent reputation. After they went bankrupt and the brand reappeared, I always viewed them as a "discount" brand. I don't know much about the brand and would need to do some serious research before I bought one. I do know that the frames are now made in Taiwan and not France. I don't consider that to be a big deal, though, as many, most probably, mass-produced frames are now made in Taiwan.

Bikes Direct first came to my attention maybe a year ago when I saw what appeared to be a good deal on a Kestrel that they were selling. As with Motobecane, Kestrel back in the day had a pretty good reputation for making a decent bike. I don't know a lot about the Kestrel brand now except that it was sold to Advanced Sports International. ASI is also the company that owned Performance Bicycle stores and I believe that all of those have now closed when ASI went bankrupt. Other brands that ASI owned were Oval Concepts, Breezer, and Fuji. It appears that the remaining assets of ASI have now been bought. There are some red flags there for me so I would probably not go the Kestrel route. Besides, carbon bikes give me the willies and I don't feel like I would ever be comfortable riding one. I used a friend's carbon in a crit once and the entire time I was worried about the frame snapping underneath me.

Ultimately what I think I'm going to do is to continue riding my RB-1 and sometime within the next year or two buy a steel Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel. (http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/steel-crown-jewel/) I've been in lust with that bike for many years. I plan on keeping the RB-1 and have toyed with the idea of converting it to a a single speed. Since it does not have a horizontal rear dropout I can't convert it to a fixie but I have no desire to ride a fixie anyway.