PDA

View Full Version : How many people now measure pelvis

buddybikes
08-27-2020, 07:36 AM
Possible saddle change, just wondering how may people here actually measure their butt and do the numbers correlate with recommendation of saddle makers? More specifically SMP (no local test saddles)

Mr B
08-27-2020, 07:39 AM
Last saddle change was at a Specialized store (Hilltop NY) and their system led me directly to the saddle I initially thought would be my best move.
I don't see the harm in taking the measurements if it gives you more data to make a decision from.

Dave
08-27-2020, 07:44 AM
Smp merely suggests going by waist size. With a 30 inch waist and weighing 135, I tried the narrow stratos model and it worked out great. The minimally padded blaster wasn't very comfy.

herb5998
08-27-2020, 08:03 AM
Did the measurement as part of a Retul fit at the old HQ in Boulder about 6 years ago, moved me to a wider (155mm) Specialized Romin, which has been great for me since

uber
08-27-2020, 08:03 AM
I’m not convinced that measuring the distance between sit bones can define which saddle width. In a riding position, we are using other parts of the pelvis as well. Trial and error is sadly the best determination of saddle choice. If you have an interest in SMP, try the website by Steve Hogg. It is amazing. The Dynamic in the SMP range is a great starting point and is likely to fit a large number of adult males. You will find that getting just the right angle is key to making SMP saddles work.
But, if you really want to measure sit bone distance, put a piece of aluminum foil on a carpeted step and sit on it. You can measure the distance between impressions.

reuben
08-27-2020, 08:53 AM
I tried, and came out to 140-something. That might actually be too small, but it matches a saddle I rode decades ago and I'm not uncomfortable, so I went with 140-something rather than 150-something.

charliedid
08-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Too many factors to simply rely on just one.

Likes2ridefar
08-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Possible saddle change, just wondering how may people here actually measure their butt and do the numbers correlate with recommendation of saddle makers? More specifically SMP (no local test saddles)

Never worked for me. Specialized said 143mm for me and I could never get it to work and was more comfortable on the narrower versions.

Fizik says I should ride an Aliante since I’m like a stiff board flexibility wise, which I sorta liked but I can sleep on my Antares 00 that I believe is 140mm.

Mr B
08-27-2020, 01:03 PM
I don't think my last measurement was a simple sit-bone-width assessment - it took weight and pressure into account almost like a scan I think.
Prior to that procedure I'd ridden 130-135mm regular-length saddles the whole time because I know I'm narrow & skinny.
Specialized don't even make the Power / Power Arc in anything narrower than a 143, and I was willing to try out a completely new saddle size & shape (for me) and it's worked well for me.

bikinchris
08-27-2020, 02:28 PM
You can low tech measure your own ischial tuberosity.
Find a chair or put blocks on the floor of a very flat seat on a chair so your upper leg is level when sitting. Then find a thick square of corrugated cardboard to cover the chair or two or three pieces of thinner pieces. Sit and then lean forward to push your ischial tuberosity bones into the cardboard.
Stand up and drop ball bearings into the dents you made to find the deepest places and measure it. That's a little too narrow. Add about 3 to 5mm to that.
Square (flat) top saddles are best for flexible riders who can tilt their pelvis forward. Rounded top saddles usually work best for riders who aren't as flexible.

Mark McM
08-27-2020, 04:26 PM
Square (flat) top saddles are best for flexible riders who can tilt their pelvis forward. Rounded top saddles usually work best for riders who aren't as flexible.

Fizik divides riders into 3 groups: Snake (those with flexible spines), Bull (those with inflexible spines) and Chameleon (those who are somewhere in the middle. They recommend their flat top saddles for Snakes, and their curved (scoop shaped) saddles for Bull. But they say the reason Bulls need curved saddles is because the rotate their pelvis forward more when they lean over. I agree with Fizik - I'm not very flexible and I roll my pelvis forward a lot when I bend over, and I prefer curved top saddles.

dgauthier
08-28-2020, 01:55 AM
I had a guy at my LBS spend 30 minutes measuring my pelvis for a new saddle. I was *really mad* when I found out he didn't work there!

I'm so sorry. I'll go to my room now...

buddybikes
08-28-2020, 06:31 AM
Ok. So 63 year old, ride every day but not long distances. My FF has a 2cm drop. Have had 2 back fusions. Currently using Brooks cadmium and wondering if SMP Avant or ??? would help in sit bone pain. Measure my pelvis at 130sh, but using own methods above. I am tending to move back, on top of my saddle at times for comfort.

Yes I know have to stretch which I do daily. Have lot remedial pain from surgeries, the second one didn't clean out all the disk so probably going in again for quick surgery this winter to clean that out.

oldpotatoe
08-28-2020, 07:17 AM
I had a guy at my LBS spend 30 minutes measuring my pelvis for a new saddle. I was *really mad* when I found out he didn't work there!

:banana:

oldpotatoe
08-28-2020, 07:18 AM
Ok. So 63 year old, ride every day but not long distances. My FF has a 2cm drop. Have had 2 back fusions. Currently using Brooks cadmium and wondering if SMP Avant or ??? would help in sit bone pain. Measure my pelvis at 130sh, but using own methods above. I am tending to move back, on top of my saddle at times for comfort.

Yes I know have to stretch which I do daily. Have lot remedial pain from surgeries, the second one didn't clean out all the disk so probably going in again for quick surgery this winter to clean that out.

Where are ya? Have a SMP test ride shop nearby? SMP will solve many ride issues but they have a TON of saddles so..

SMP Glider for me..

C50
08-28-2020, 07:46 AM
In general, there is about a 75% correlation with any of the "systems" to help pick a saddle whether they be attempts to measure bone structure or waist size. It is a good starting point and better than nothing but there are a lot of other variables in the fit equation and factors that determine the optimal saddle choice. After that, you have to position the saddle within the context of your bike fit (given that the fit is close to optimal) in terms of height, fore/aft and tilt to get everything perfect and no system will give you all that. They start you on the path and then test ride, adjust, evaluate, adjust, test repeat repeat repeat until you have everything they way you want it.

Private Message sent to the OP to offer my assistance and help in getting a Test Saddle to you.

9tubes
08-28-2020, 10:49 PM
After riding for more than a couple of the decades I have come to the conclusion that there doesn't seem to be any correlation between comfort and sit bone width or saddle shape. One small item I have noticed is that it makes a difference whether the saddle is flat left-to-right or more barrel-shaped, and the commentary seems to miss this aspect. The good news is that there are so many saddles makes it likely that we can find a great match but also makes the process much longer.

To me, the best that a manufacturer could do would be to have an online configurator that would allow me to input my favorite saddles and have them make a recommendation.

The worst is when a mfg decides to discontinue a saddle and has no recommendation for a replacement. For example, years ago many people were riding the Flite Gel Flow, the one with the channel down the middle and the red cut outs on each side of the nose (below).

Great saddle. Selle Italia dropped it and forums were lit up for the next few years with questions about what riders could use next. The demand in the used market pushed used prices above the original MSRP. Not a word from Selle Italia about their recommendation. What Selle Italia then called the Flite Gel Flow wasn't remotely comparable. No competing mfg had a note on their website that said "if you loved the Flite, you'll love the new Whizbang X3." It was a marketing fail and self-defeating.

I ride the Fizik Kurve Snake and when Fizik discontinued it I wondered if they would make a recommendation for a replacement...and no. I bought a spare. I might buy another.

_

Peter P.
08-29-2020, 05:53 AM
After riding for more than a couple of the decades I have come to the conclusion that there doesn't seem to be any correlation between comfort and sit bone width or saddle shape. One small item I have noticed is that it makes a difference whether the saddle is flat left-to-right or more barrel-shaped,

THIS.

I've measured my sit bones but can't remember the number.

I have found saddles from 127-145mm wide that feel fantastic. I haven't tried saddles outside that range so who knows; others may feel fine as well.

The flat vs. barrel shape is an apt description of what I've found is more of an indicator of what feels. Once you know which shape you prefer, you'll be better able to identify comfortable saddles just by sight.