PDA

View Full Version : Emma Pooley is amazing

mcteague
08-27-2020, 06:59 AM
We already know about her past triumphs and recent Everesting record but, on top of all that, she is a talented writer. Her insights into the pains of cycling are profound.

There is also a wonderful quote from Connie Carpenter-Phinney.

The best words of wisdom I have ever heard for moments like this were spoken by Connie Carpenter-Phinney before a sportive in Boulder, Colorado. She said something along the lines of: “It’s a privilege to be able to choose how you suffer – not everyone has that choice. Some people have their pain forced upon them.” This is so deeply true when you reach that moment in any sport event when your body hurts, and you just want to stop and sit on the ground and hang your head between your knees. It’s so easy to feel sorry for yourself — but that’s totally mistaken! The “pain” is a choice, a privilege; and to indulge in self-pity is pathetic and contradictory.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/an-exercise-in-pointlessness-emma-pooley-on-her-world-record-everesting/

Tim

NHAero
08-27-2020, 07:12 AM
That is truly a beautiful essay, thanks so much for posting it!

morrisericd
08-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Excellent read. Thank you!

roguedog
08-27-2020, 11:56 PM
I really like her. So down to earth and real. No pretentiousness. Just real.

Thanks for the article.

gone
08-28-2020, 08:08 AM
One of the amazing factoids in the essay is that she was stopping at a farm to fill her water bottles on the last several ascents. That had to have cost her minutes. Also, stopping to be berated by the farmer.

I doubt she'll have another go but it would be interesting to see what she could do if she didn't have to contend with traffic, had some support, etc.

An amazing woman and very nice essay - she obviously "gets it" as to why we do these silly things like Everesting.

XXtwindad
08-28-2020, 09:08 AM
We already know about her past triumphs and recent Everesting record but, on top of all that, she is a talented writer. Her insights into the pains of cycling are profound.

There is also a wonderful quote from Connie Carpenter-Phinney.

The best words of wisdom I have ever heard for moments like this were spoken by Connie Carpenter-Phinney before a sportive in Boulder, Colorado. She said something along the lines of: “It’s a privilege to be able to choose how you suffer – not everyone has that choice. Some people have their pain forced upon them.” This is so deeply true when you reach that moment in any sport event when your body hurts, and you just want to stop and sit on the ground and hang your head between your knees. It’s so easy to feel sorry for yourself — but that’s totally mistaken! The “pain” is a choice, a privilege; and to indulge in self-pity is pathetic and contradictory.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/an-exercise-in-pointlessness-emma-pooley-on-her-world-record-everesting/

Tim

That’s a great quote.

Yes, she’s a good writer. Really enjoyable read. A couple things stood out for me.

“This preparation phase lasted less than a week – just long enough to buy and install a 11-30 cassette to give two extra teeth on the largest cog for the 13.5% average climb.” This is a big cassette? Obviously, we’re inhabiting much different worlds.

Also, as a personal trainer, I was very intrigued by her take on feminism and the art of suffering. This part really resonated with me, although I think she could’ve made her point more explicitly. One of my biggest gripes with the fitness industry (and certainly with mainstream women’s fitness magazines) is that the emphasis for women is placed on aesthetics rather than performance and personal accomplishment. That’s a recipe for failure.

weiwentg
08-28-2020, 11:05 AM
That’s a great quote.

Yes, she’s a good writer. Really enjoyable read. A couple things stood out for me.

“This preparation phase lasted less than a week – just long enough to buy and install a 11-30 cassette to give two extra teeth on the largest cog for the 13.5% average climb.” This is a big cassette? Obviously, we’re inhabiting much different worlds.

Also, as a personal trainer, I was very intrigued by her take on feminism and the art of suffering. This part really resonated with me, although I think she could’ve made her point more explicitly. One of my biggest gripes with the fitness industry (and certainly with mainstream women’s fitness magazines) is that the emphasis for women is placed on aesthetics rather than performance and personal accomplishment. That’s a recipe for failure.

Well, she was on a Wyndy Milla, which I think is custom only. I know she had a custom Bond with 650c wheels. I bet you the Wyndy is 650c or B, so that 11-30 is probably not as high a gear as it sounds at first.

Nevertheless, yes, Emma Pooley is not a mere mortal like us.

ducati2
08-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Earning a PhD, being awarded two honorary PhD’s, and being involved in a ton of side interests. Something tells me Emma doesn’t watch a lot of television.