PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a marathon before??

sirroada
02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Am I crazy or what? I have never been a real runner. I have spent many years of my life cranking the pedals of my road bike and loving every minute of it. However, this year I am parking the bike until late June so I can train for a marathon which I will run on June 16th. I will probably cross-train on my serotta at least once a week. Its going to be a wierd spring. I usually can't wait to get outside and ride after having the winter off but here I am, its Febuary, 15 flappin degrees below zero and I am outside running my a double s off. I gotta admit...it's kind of fun. Anyway, has anyone out there run a marathon and is willing to offer some advice on how to be ready for running 26 miles of open road?

DRZRM
02-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I did it a couple times over the last few years. I started off doing some short races (3m, 5K, 10K) when I had really never run much at all. A friend had joined a running club and talked me into it. If you run in 5 New York Road Runners Club (or maybe it was 8, I can't remember) and join NYRR then you are automatically accepted into the New York Marathon for the following year. I don't know if this is still true, but I bet it is.

Anyway, I was not a runner when I started and the idea of running in races seemed like a joke, but by the time I qualified, it seemed like a reasonable idea. In fact rather than waiting until the following year, I ran Providence RI first (too hilly!) and NY Marathon the second (which I had qualified for).

Anyway, I was never fast, and I never quite broke 4 hours, but I had a great time, and would not trade teh whole experience for anything. BTW, in my best race I broke 28 minutes in a 4 mile race, I felt pretty good. I still run most days with my dogs.

Good luck!

Zach

RPS
02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Yes, I ran a few prior to a running-related knee injury which led me to take cycling more seriously. My only advice is to proceed cautiously and listen to your body. IMO it’s best to do the first one with no major goals other than to finish; particularly if you haven’t been running for years and have a lot of base miles already. Forget about time and just enjoy it. If you do, you’ll have plenty of time to improve your time later.

TriJim
02-04-2007, 12:01 AM
sirroada -

You've already received several good tips - train with a group if possible, find a training program which slowly builds your base (too fast and you risk shin splints, stress fracture, or other injuries), and mix-in a few shorter races to maintain your motivation and check your fitness.

I run 3 or 4 marathons a year and would add: train in technical fabrics to stay comfortable and avoid chaffing and bleeding nipples. Pace yourself, most new runners start too fast and end-up walking after 20 miles. Train your nutrition plan. You need to refuel for 26 miles, just like on the bike. You will probably prefer gels instead of nutrition bars and will need electrolyte drinks (or salt tablets) if it is hot (like a June marathon).

Good luck with your training. I started the Runner's World Less-is-More program (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-8257-0,00.html) this past week for the Heilbronn (Germany) marathon in May. It provides ample days off for cycling. :beer:

baselthedog
02-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I've run 4 marathons and they are fun. All the advice given so far is spot-on. I'd only add: buy a good pair of shoes! Go to a store that caters to runners; you can tell in 2 minutes if the staff runs or not. They'll watch you run and help you figure out your foot type and the shoe choice follows from that. Unfortunately for me that sometimes means ugly-but-great-fitting shoes (Mizunos and New Balances) but I've also ruined my knees running with Nikes (these tend to have a lot of cushion but very little motion control so not good for MY feet) so I now listen to my feet. Oh and stick to the training! Nothing worse than skipping out on long wknd runs for 2 months only to get back into the group runs to find out that morning's run is 18 miles...

Good luck!

jhcakilmer
02-04-2007, 12:16 AM
"Bleeding Nipples"? Why kind of running have you been doing.

Anyway, I ran the Boston Marathon back in the late 90s, and I just did it for kicks. Like everyone else said, start off easy. Don't over-train, and I personally think that stretching is more important in running then cycling. It is so high impact that your really straining those ligaments, and tendons.......take care of the soft tissue.

Boston wasn't the best place to start, IMHO. It was in the spring, and training through the winter was horrid. I wish I had done the NY, and trained during the warmer months.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I talked to people about training, they said they never ran 26 miles until the day of the race, but I did probably a half a dozen runs of 25-26 miles, and lots of runs over 15 miles. It paid off, and I felt great the entire way.

It may be important to pick a running route that helps you pace your runs. I had a 5-6 mile loop that I would do, and it really helped me pace myself, so when it came race time, it was a natural mind-set that I really didn't have to think about.

I acutally started kind of slow, and really picked up the pace towards the end. I'd definitely recommend that, over starting off too fast, and blowing up.

ndoshi72c
02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes, I ran my first last year (LA Marathon 06')

Tips: Have someone at the finish for you (both for emotional support and to help you walk). Put vaseline between your thighs and toes and bandages over your nipples. Start slooooow and don't stop. Carry a hip pack for your stuff. Don't think cycling is proper preparation as I did.

SayHey
02-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Again, all excellent advice given thus far.

For me, the most important part of training for my first marathon was the weekly long run. The first time I did 26 miles was the day of the event, but I slowly built up to the 20+ mile weekly run.

The other key factor for me was pacing -- you want to finish reasonably comfortably so don't go out too fast. The weekly long runs give you a good sense of pace.

Stretching was real important to me too. It's much easier to hurt yourself running than say biking because your mind is saying "go" but often your body is saying "no" so be conservative.

Enjoy the training ... and happy trails!

cdimattio
02-04-2007, 07:32 AM
I have run a dozen marathons, and worked a few as a volunteer. My thoughts echo the words already said.

Shoes: Get help with sneaker selection from a shop that deals specifically with serious runners.

Sock Selection: Perhaps trivial, but I happen to think sock selection is also very important for comfort. Wigwam Ultimax worked best for me, but try a few and get experience with them on your longer runs. There are two layer Coolmax socks sold as being blister free.

Shorts: You might want to find a pair with a decent pocket to hold a gels, money or keys. Race Ready has a version with three large rear pockets.

Chafing: Having worked the finish line of a few marathons, bloody nipples and other serious chafing problems are very common.. Avoiding cotton t-shirts is a good strategy, but even a wet Coolmax garment can pose issues for some.. Chafing in the shorts area can also be a problem. Body glide or Vaseline are solutions.

Heart Monitor: I would suggest you purchase one and run with it regularly. You will notice how your pulse rises over time and it will provide an indication of even pacing which you can sustain. With a bit of experience it will tell you if you are starting the big race too fast.

Training: You can loosely follow one of the standard Runners World or other training schedules around. Just add distance to weekly long run slowly. I follow the conventional wisdom that you do not need do a 26 mile training run prior to the marathon, but would recommend at least one run of 20 miles or more. Running with groups is a great approach along with a few organized events.

Eating/Drinking: You need some type of nutrition on the longer runs. Good opportunity to figure out what flavor of gel or variation works for you. Liquid consumption is more important. You may want to try a local 10K or half marathon if available to experience the handoff area for drinks. Shoes can accidentally get wet, contributing to risk of blisters. (Squeezing the center of the cup together helps funnel more liquid into the mouth if you are running through a water stop.)

wasfast
02-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I've run 4 marathons and they are fun.

I used to do quite a bit of shorter distance running (10K's etc). Somehow, I can't think of marathons as "fun". :cool:

ejh
02-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Yes, I've run 20-25 marathons 5 50+ and tne Leadville 100 6 timesand 2 Ironman's. Start out slow and keep it fun. Go to a running shoe store for your shoes not a "super store". Try to run on trails as it is much easyer on the legs, and no car exhaust. Try all kinds of food and drinks to see wdat works for you, and find out what they will have at the race and try using it to see if it does not give you GI problems. Have fun and good luck. Eric

Len J
02-04-2007, 08:25 AM
to run....buil up your milage and pace slowly. You need to condition your soft tissue to the pounding, especially if you've only been riding for a while. Listen to your body, let it recover....be patient.

There are many good training routines on - line.

I agree with the weekly long run increasing to the point where you do the distance before the organized event.

Good luck.

Len

Tom
02-04-2007, 08:38 AM
They're fun. I wish I could still run but screwy hip prevents it.

What they said, but one twist of my own (stolen from Amby Burfoote)

(1) Shoes are very important, the shape of your feet and how they strike are the two big things to know. Go to a running specific shoe store if you can find one or talk to the local running club to find out who's best. They're similar to LBS - some are great, others'll try and sell you a BMX bike to ride a century on.
(2) Socks are overlooked. Blisters are very hard to overlook.

The big one:

(3) For a first marathon, time on your feet is key to your training. You want to build up to running three hours at a stretch once a week but don't concern yourself with how far you go on those runs. You want to run one fast, work on your speed for the second one. The second one's a lot easier for some reason, run the first one to enjoy the experience. The key is to get very used to running for a long time. The excitement of race day will bring you some speed you didn't know you had, so what you want to learn is how to have good form when you're tired and you learn that by becoming very comfortable with being on the road a long time. I would fill a Camelbak with water or juice and head down the road for an hour and a half, then turn around and come home. I always tried for negative splits so I knew I was metering it right.

myette10
02-04-2007, 08:41 AM
there are some good tips here from people who have run alot. I was like you. except my riding only dates back to 2002. Before that it was hockey back to the 70's. I really don't like running that much and am not built like a runner, that is for sure. I'm not sure why I decided to run Boston last spring, but I did and looking back I'm glad I did it. I have run 2 times since then.

Have fun, don't worry about a time, try and avoid getting hurt during training, stay warm/comfortable during pre race, avoid advil during the race (sent a good friend to the hospital), and soak up the experience.

CalfeeFly
02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Some very good advice and I don't want to be redundant. I will say listen carefully to making sure you use something to avoid friction. At the one marathon I ran they passed out vaseline at the rest stops.

One thing I would do is to run the distance before the race. There are two schools of thought on this and one is that you don't have to train to the entire distance. Psychologically I think you are better off when doing the race to know I've done it before and I can do it again. My first marathon was in Columbus in Novemeber and they had the worst weather and slowest times in the history of the race. It rained, sleeted, hailed, was sunny and snowed. Knowing I had done it before was a huge edge in making sure I finished.

I read somewhere once another key to marathon training not often mentioned is you need to train your body to perform for that length of time. This is where cross training and riding can help. If you plan to run for 4 hours being able to bike 4 hours helps with your conditioning.

Don't forget hydration and even more your glycogen stores. I'd carry my own favorite energy food. People can run out of gas just due to those two things. Walk through the rest stops so you can get plenty of water or whatever drink they have in you. Too many people run through and hardly get any liquid in them.

Another old trick is to take an anti-inflamatory prior to the run. Take the Advil first so the inflamation is reduced as you run. I would carry a couple along as well.

My advice is geared to a first time runner of a marathon or someone who just wants to finish. I have always believed that anyone finishing a marathon regardless of their time "wins." A runner once said to Bill Rogers that he could not imagine running a marathon in just a little over two hours. Bill replied that he could not imagine running for 4 hours.

Good luck.

sirroada
02-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow, thanks for all the imput. There are definately a lot of things to know in preparing for one of these. I have been very sore lately due to running and I think several of you touched on why that is...trying to go to hard and to fast to early in the game. I will definately slow down and take it easier. I found a training schedule on Grandmas Marathon website that was done by **** (the forum blanked his first name out but lets just say it is the short version of Richard) Beardsley. I will follow that. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!!

CalfeeFly
02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Wow, thanks for all the imput. There are definately a lot of things to know in preparing for one of these. I have been very sore lately due to running and I think several of you touched on why that is...trying to go to hard and to fast to early in the game. I will definately slow down and take it easier. I found a training schedule on Grandmas Marathon website that was done by **** (the forum blanked his first name out but lets just say it is the short version of Richard) Beardsley. I will follow that. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!!

You just reminded me of what I forgot to include which was the best training advice I read.

It is "Train don't Strain." The essence of the article was that the old adage to push hard in training, get a burn and such does not work with running. To build speed you do intervals for example...much like cycling. They find that people who think that "No Pain No Gain" equates to running will just be constantly injured, sore or burned out.

Good luck again.

jharsha
02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
I've run 18 or so marathons and loved everyone. The tips mentioned here are right on the money. One thing that I found really helped was for after the race. Relax, eat sleep and the next moring go out for a very easy 5-10 miles, this really helped me recover and start thinking about the next race. The main thing about marathons is to enjoy yourself!!