PDA

View Full Version : The tough guys How do they do it

Fixed
08-26-2020, 04:20 PM
52 Foggy degrees when I left this morning Yet I see young guys in shorts and jersey only
Ok I lived in Florida for most of my life but I always followed this saying if it is 65 or lower cover you knees ,
I had wool base layer thermal leg warmers winter-long shelve jersey and wind vest ,gloves ,cycling cap and wool socks
And I never felt to warm in fact coming back over the Golden Gate Bridge I was cold but I saw a lot riders in their summer kits
I guess I am not very tough
Cheers

weisan
08-26-2020, 05:15 PM

no, you just haven't been broken in yet.

10 rides or less, and you will.

teleguy57
08-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Don't confuse tough with smart.

I'm the same; in my 20s prided myself on shorts into the 40s. Nordic ski raced in -23F air temp/ -63F windchill in a lycra suit with only one Lifa baselayer top and bottom. Now knickers are my friend, and even thermal bib shorts around 60F

That race I, along with everyone who finished (3 lap race, DNF % quite high) ended up in the men's room with our hands down our pants in excruciating pain trying to thaw parts that should never get frozen.

Oh, I won't attribute my total knee replacement in two weeks solely to bare knees in cold temps, but I have to think that' a contributor.

Dress as you want, not as some one else thinks they should.

many_styles
08-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Yeah, you’ll get acclimated.

Before the fires started I did a ride to Marin; wore SS Jersey, wool sleeveless base layer and arm warmers and a vest.

No leg warmers, or cap. Then again tend to run hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daker13
08-26-2020, 05:40 PM
I guess I'm a real yankee, because 52 degrees usually seems pretty comfortable to me on the bike.

.RJ
08-26-2020, 05:56 PM
dress for the end of the ride and you'll get there :)

nooneline
08-26-2020, 06:39 PM
55 degrees in the spring is a lot warmer than 55 degrees in the fall...

bikinchris
08-26-2020, 06:41 PM
That depends on several factors. How thin your blood is makes a difference, but also speed. The first Louisiana cyclocross state championships I organised was won by a couple of guys wearing shorts and short sleeves. In 26 humid degrees. They did wear Vaseline on their arms and legs, but they were really steaming when they stopped and it had warmed up to 35 degrees. So wind chill and speed makes a huge difference.
But it seems to me that the kind of speeds you get up to coming of the Golden Gate bridge, almost everyone should be wearing at least arm and leg warmers at 52°.

jamesdak
08-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Comes from the climate you're used to. I live in northern Utah so see plenty of cool weather. I'm perfectly comfortable in just a bib and jersey down to the upper 40's. After you get acclimated I'm sure some weather won't seem so cold after all.

Bob Ross
08-26-2020, 09:45 PM
52 Foggy degrees when I left this morning Yet I see young guys in shorts and jersey only

I'm just the opposite: 69°F and I keep coming across cyclists wearing full-length tights, long-sleeve jerseys, wind vests, full-fingered gloves...

Saw a guy Sunday -- when it was 74°F -- wearing a quilted down jacket. I kid you not.

mep
08-26-2020, 09:59 PM
That's not unimaginable especially if you're just going all out on a short ride like a crit. They could also have arm sleeves in their back pockets.

FlashUNC
08-26-2020, 10:31 PM
The more baffling thing I've seen is 85-90 degrees going up Wildcat, and guys are riding in jackets and full length tights and gloves.

carpediemracing
08-26-2020, 11:48 PM
I'll never be accused of spinning too much, and I've been racing well over 30 seasons. And my fragile knees have been okay all this time.

For sure it's about getting acclimated. A 50 degree day in December in Connecticut is really warm. A few years ago there was a three day period where it was about that at Christmas. I set out the first day in knickers, decent layers up top, and I was severely overheated by the time I got about a mile away from the house (includes a shallow 1/2 mile 35 mph descent). I just unzipped and kept going. Comments on my ride went along the lines of, "Weren't you hot?!" in a "are you stupid?!" kind of way.

By the 3rd day I had it down - thermal shorts (part of a thermal LS skinsuit with shorts), wind vest (torso does get cold), head covering (head and neck are critical), booties. I was still a bit warm but that was better than being cold.

My standard kit for racing in March / April was to do tights under 35F, knickers to about 50F. I adjust within the range with head gear and torso protection. Booties up until about 55F (even with shorts), and wind vest typically until 55F as well. I protect my torso more, at least compared to my peers.

I was sorely unprepared the first race of 2020 when it was still in the low-mid 20s by the time my race started - for some reason I had no tights in the gear bag, lacked all my torso stuff, etc (forecast was for mid 30s). I started the race absolutely frozen, dropped out on the second lap, head felt like I'd dunked it in ice water. The next week, in the mid 30s, I wore the same stuff, but this time I was fine until a super strong rider lapped the field and the pace shot through the roof. That wasn't a function of being cold though, it was lack of fitness.

fkslksj
08-27-2020, 12:12 AM
You definitely acclimate to the climate you're in. When I lived in Illinois, I remember being totally okay walking out of the house in 30 degree weather, warm for the middle of winter, in shorts and a t-shirt. Now that I've moved back to southern California, 55 degrees and I need a sweater.

mcteague
08-27-2020, 06:39 AM
I'm just the opposite: 69°F and I keep coming across cyclists wearing full-length tights, long-sleeve jerseys, wind vests, full-fingered gloves...

Saw a guy Sunday -- when it was 74°F -- wearing a quilted down jacket. I kid you not.

I see an older guy regularly wearing long sleeves and tights in August...in Maryland! We are talking temps and humidity in the 90s! Don't know how he does it. We wave but I have not spoken to him but would like to ask.....why? :eek:

I'm wearing bib shorts and light jersey half way unzipped and still sweating buckets.

Tim

ultraman6970
08-27-2020, 06:46 AM
Lived in the patagonia.. same situation... OP you will get used to it quick if you are young :p

slambers3
08-27-2020, 06:55 AM
I see an older guy regularly wearing long sleeves and tights in August...in Maryland! We are talking temps and humidity in the 90s! Don't know how he does it. We wave but I have not spoken to him but would like to ask.....why? :eek:

I'm wearing bib shorts and light jersey half way unzipped and still sweating buckets.

Tim

Some folks are very serious about sun protection, particularly if they or a loved one has dealt with skin cancer. My wife (fair skin) won’t leave the house on a sunny day without long pants and sleeves.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2020, 07:05 AM
Ok I lived in Florida for most of my life but I always followed this saying if it is 65 or lower cover you knees ,
I had wool base layer thermal leg warmers winter-long shelve jersey and wind vest ,gloves ,cycling cap and wool socks
And I never felt to warm in fact coming back over the Golden Gate Bridge I was cold but I saw a lot riders in their summer kits
Cheers

HA, I'd rather be very warm than a little cold. See these knuckleheads around the republic all the time in the fall, early spring..like they can't cover up that multi-logo festooned jersey..or somethin.

"Hands cold? Wear a hat"
Lived in the patagonia.. same situation... OP you will get used to it quick if you are young

Old crusty F-4 back seater, "you can get thinner or richer, but ya can't get younger'..

martl
08-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Outside temperature -what the thermometer picks up- is determined by two factors, air temp and radiation heat from the sun. So in spring when the sun is out, it may well be in the 70ies but the air could be much colder. As cyclinsts travelling at a speed higher than walking :D, we feel the actual air temp more than someone just walking. (sidenote: playing football/soccer in winter at temps below freezing is absolutely no biggie in shorts)

Now in summer, the thermometer may only read 52 but the air could still be at a comfortable level.
Mileage may vary depending on humidity, closeness to large water bodies, windswept mountains etc... also your personal constitution plays a part.

So, i try not to judge other people by what they chose to wear, its none of my business. Exception are the jokers who dress by the calender (hey its only end of march so i wear long thermos and a skimask and i dont care if its 85 or not!!1!")

Johnnysmooth
08-27-2020, 08:30 AM
IMHO protect those joints, at least that is what my ortho/sports doc told me.
When it gets below 60, cover knees. If it is early and will warm up/longish ride, use knee warmers. If it will stay cool, or just a short 1hr ride use knickers - have a few at varying densities/warmth that will take me to mid 40s.

Up top can get away with jersey, arm warmers, vest and maybe cap to high 40s

mcteague
08-27-2020, 09:20 AM
Some folks are very serious about sun protection, particularly if they or a loved one has dealt with skin cancer. My wife (fair skin) won’t leave the house on a sunny day without long pants and sleeves.

I thought about that but he actually wears a long sleeve jacket much of the time. And, at times he has the sleeves pushed up. On top of that, the area he rides is wooded and mostly in the shade. Maybe I'll ask him some time. We always seem to be going in opposite directions.

Tim

choke
08-27-2020, 09:22 AM
It has to be pretty chilly for me to cover my knees. My feet and hands though....

Back when Uncle Sam expected me run regularly, I spent one winter in a very cold climate. We could run inside if it was below 17°F but I hated that so outside I went. I wore tights one time and said never again....I hated having my legs covered though everything else was well protected. I think the coldest day I went out it was around 4°F.

stien
08-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Theres also the young, stupid and strong factor. I've been there! Push hard enough and you'll be warm enough in shorts/short sleeves.

smartyiak
08-27-2020, 02:06 PM
I guess I'm somewhere in between. I find that if I keep my head, hands, and feet warm, I'm usually fine.

I'll often ride in the upper 40s through high 50s in bib and a summer weight, long sleeve jersey...but with thermal shoe covers, long finger gloves, and a beanie.

Once my extremities get cold (esp my feet) then it's GAME OVER!

LouDeeter
08-27-2020, 02:17 PM
Watch the "Worlds Toughest Race" on Prime Video now. That's how the tough guys/gals do it.

CDM
08-28-2020, 05:55 PM
these posts lately are for atention..ride your bike and figure it out,

Fixed
08-29-2020, 12:45 AM
Attention
Maybe I am old and alone now
trying to come back after nine years of therapy From a
cycling related traumatic brain injury
If so I am sorry for that
Cheers

RWL2222
08-29-2020, 04:13 AM
these posts lately are for atention..ride your bike and figure it out,

I appreciated the OP and follow-on comments for the chance to compare and make light of everyday experiences on the bike. That seems to be a big part of the vibe here. I like it.

unterhausen
08-29-2020, 07:14 AM
I remember back when I was a teenager wearing shorts in the spring and wishing I hadn't after the ride was over. I doubt my knee problems are related to that, but it can't have helped. I see the college students out riding in shorts on the first sunny day in February and I don't think it's a good idea at all. I understand the impulse though.

I'm trying to wear sun sleeves at all times now, I figure I will get skin cancer and it looks really annoying. People probably think I'm wearing arm warmers, because they are black, but they are actually cooler than not wearing them.

paredown
08-29-2020, 07:27 AM
Attention
Cheers

Congratulations on your recovery so far.

Be patient with yourself and take it one day at a time...

My sister-in-law also suffered a TBI--her car was hit by a driver being pursued by the police. It is a long road back--that you are on your bike is a testament to your recovery so far.

Ride safe!

.RJ
08-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Attention
Cheers

Keep moving forward. I had a concussion last year and it was a miserable time.