PDA

View Full Version : Favorite torx wrenches?

Keith A
08-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Gummee's post in another thread made me realize that I need to stop borrowing my neighbor's torx set to work on the one Campy based bike I have. So what are your favorite torx wrenches? BTW, I need the L-shaped ones to be able to get to the bolt on the Campy brake/shift levers clamp bolt.

KC tools suckered me in with a free bottle opener. Bought a Wera torx set to match my Wera allen set.
https://products.wera.de/images/products/additional-big/3967_9_tx_sxl_multicolour_hf_stainless_1.jpg
M

Veloo
08-25-2020, 03:40 PM
I have these:
https://pedros.com/products/tools/general-tool/l-torx-set/

https://www.merlincycles.com/icetoolz-pro-shop-torx-key-t25-68407.html

mulp
08-25-2020, 03:47 PM
I use Tekton keys and they've been an inexpensive option that i've been pretty happy with so far!

FlashUNC
08-25-2020, 05:38 PM
You can use the straight handle ones on the campy levers. Just feed em through the front of the hood. Way easier than peeling it back and trying to get just the right angle.

Also Bondhus all day.

soulspinner
08-25-2020, 05:43 PM
You can use the straight handle ones on the campy levers. Just feed em through the front of the hood. Way easier than peeling it back and trying to get just the right angle.

Also Bondhus all day.

Same here

pcb
08-26-2020, 12:03 AM
I know I've quickly become a crusty old stubborn cuss, but am I the only one that doesn't get Torx? I thankfully don't have a lot of them around, mostly on some threadless stems and a few disc brake setups.

Seems to me like there's always more play between a torx wrench/socket than a hex, no? Especially when I'm using my Wera twisty hex wrenches, that lock in so nice and solid. There's always play with Torx, like the wrench is always just a little too small, but the next biggest size never fits.

I get that with 8 zillion points it's less likely to strip, but it just feels all sloppy and loosey-goosey to me. Whether I use cheapos throw-in wrenches or a couple of higher quality ones (PB brand?). And, mind you, cheapo throw-in hex wrenches never feel as sloppy to me as Torx.

Maybe I just need Wera/Bhondus/quality?

Geez, now my blood pressure is 500/350. Is that high? Is there a doctor in the house? I gotta go lie down.....

peanutgallery
08-26-2020, 06:06 AM
Wera

oldpotatoe
08-26-2020, 06:10 AM
Just get the ones you need..T handle works well with Campag ERGO lever clamp bolt..I have ones for Campagnolo rear der bolt, handlebar clamp and wee one for Speedplay pedals..Bondhus..

Keith A
08-26-2020, 06:37 AM

Also Bondhus all day.Thanks for the tip. Peeling back the hoods and trying to get the lever in there isn't easy.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions.

AngryScientist
08-26-2020, 06:43 AM
as you posted up top, i really like the Wera stuff. super high quality, and the color coded handles really are a nice feature - especially for the hex wrenches, grab them quickly off the bench and i feel like associating the colors with the sizes is burned into my brain at this point.

very affordable from Amazon too. it's almost surprising how good they are for what they cost.

fmradio516
08-26-2020, 08:38 AM
as you posted up top, i really like the Wera stuff. super high quality, and the color coded handles really are a nice feature - especially for the hex wrenches, grab them quickly off the bench and i feel like associating the colors with the sizes is burned into my brain at this point.

very affordable from Amazon too. it's almost surprising how good they are for what they cost.

+1 I picked up a set of Wera Torx with the speed ball end(believe it!) and i love em. Beats the heck out of my previous bondhus hex set which i feel like MUST have been victims of a poorly calibrated machining day.. they were so off..

FriarQuade
08-26-2020, 09:24 AM
I know I've quickly become a crusty old stubborn cuss, but am I the only one that doesn't get Torx? I thankfully don't have a lot of them around, mostly on some threadless stems and a few disc brake setups.

Seems to me like there's always more play between a torx wrench/socket than a hex, no? Especially when I'm using my Wera twisty hex wrenches, that lock in so nice and solid. There's always play with Torx, like the wrench is always just a little too small, but the next biggest size never fits.

I get that with 8 zillion points it's less likely to strip, but it just feels all sloppy and loosey-goosey to me. Whether I use cheapos throw-in wrenches or a couple of higher quality ones (PB brand?). And, mind you, cheapo throw-in hex wrenches never feel as sloppy to me as Torx.

Maybe I just need Wera/Bhondus/quality?

Geez, now my blood pressure is 500/350. Is that high? Is there a doctor in the house? I gotta go lie down.....

Torx will transfer more torque than a hex, so it's the better option for fasteners made from softer materials. Since those materials are pretty common on bikes, so is torx. Just be thankful that nobody in the bike industry has adopted torx plus yet.

Cy Trivialities
08-26-2020, 07:07 PM
https://static.pbswisstools.com/fileadmin/_processed_/b/8/csm_FOT_PRO_STA_PB410-H6-25RB-24402__SALL__AING__V1_5b462a494e.jpg

froze
08-26-2020, 07:32 PM
All I use is a $25 (new price at Home Depot) set of Eklind 22 piece ball hex key set, I've had it for years, used them on bikes and cars, and they work as good now as they did when they were new, and they're made in the USA and guaranteed for life...which you won't be using the warranty.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.FN1xymR2LGl53paSOLTemgHaHa?pid=Api&rs=1

Ralph
08-26-2020, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. Peeling back the hoods and trying to get the lever in there isn't easy.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions.

Yes....and a Campy mechanic told me to use a long shafted T 25 Torx screwdriver for the Campy lever. As above said....go in from the side. No peeling hood back. With a screwdriver you can apply max force to the bolt head....no stripping. Can get it very tight. I use a Craftsman. My Campy shift lever clamp bolt tool. About $10.