PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best road trip family vehicle?

AngryScientist
08-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Long story short:

We are going on a long trip in November, and we were planning on flying, but due to a variety of circumstances i dont want to get into here....we are going to drive.

in real life we have a Honda Odyssey. For another variety of reasons, i'm going to rent something for this particular trip.

We are a family of 5, 3 kids including one in a booster seat and one in a full car seat.

my gut reaction tells me another mini van is the right answer. are any of the large SUV's out there worth looking at to rent?

we rented a suburban a last year in California and my wife really liked it. i think it was more the novelty of driving something different than usual, but it worked OK for us.

thoughts?

Tickdoc
08-25-2020, 02:18 PM
stay on the mini van train. The new suvs are nice but the mileage sucks in comparison to a good van. IMO.

Wattvagen
08-25-2020, 02:20 PM
i agree. this is what mini vans are literally made for. SUV's compromise usability to add ground height and offroad capability. for a bigger family on pavement, i think mini van is the best bet.

54ny77
08-25-2020, 02:28 PM
Here's the answer: drop the kids off at grandparents, rent a new Corvette convertible, drive fast and bring a radar detector.

For the win!

SlowPokePete
08-25-2020, 02:29 PM
Definitely the Mini-van.

Bad name.

Those things deserve some kind of re-name.

SPP

GregL
08-25-2020, 02:35 PM
You already know the answer: mini-van. More spacious than all but the largest mega-SUVs with better gas mileage. We just returned from a family vacation. I spent nearly 30 hours driving our family Chrysler Town and Country. Perfect for the intended mission.

Greg

charliedid
08-25-2020, 02:38 PM
You need to do this. My brother and his family did it and had a blast :)

https://www.escapecampervans.com/

https://www.escapecampervans.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/escape-campervans-big-sur-model-exterior-artwork.jpg

gomango
08-25-2020, 02:44 PM
Four of us are headed back out to Montana for the 2nd trip this summer.

We need plenty of legroom and loads of space for fly rods and equipment.

We rented a Toyota Sienna last summer, earlier this summer and have another one we are picking up tomorrow for the upcoming trip.

It's a long haul from St. Paul to Absorake/Red Lodge, but the van makes it easy peasy.

Decent mileage is a plus and we even have room for a cooler of sandwiches and snacks.

At $60 or so a day, I think it's a great deal.

gomango
08-25-2020, 02:50 PM
You need to do this. My brother and his family did it and had a blast :)

https://www.escapecampervans.com/

https://www.escapecampervans.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/escape-campervans-big-sur-model-exterior-artwork.jpg

If we didn't have a cabin waiting for us in Montana, this would be a great way to jump from access to access spots on the various rivers we are fishing.

I wonder how hard it would be to trailer drift boats behind these beauties?

weisan
08-25-2020, 02:51 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/b8/87/96b887235707b7aa3f2ce5caee349423.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/3f/2e/893f2e3c6772191e1fa655bfa3f0b2b6.jpg

https://conversionvanland.com/wp-content/uploads/Explorer-Van-Co-07-06-18-056-1024x683.jpg

https://www.explorervan.com/images/images_for_chassis/Explorer_Ford_Carseat_Interior_0826.jpg

https://www.explorervan.com/chevrolet_chassis_option.cfm

dave thompson
08-25-2020, 02:52 PM
We’ve driven our two Chrysler Town & Country vans (the first one was killed in Mexico) the 5,000 mile round trip to Mexico for 3 different years. Very comfortable and the ability to configure the interior in so many different configurations with the seats individually stowing in the floor makes it a great travel vehicle.

Also depending on the exact van you rent, they are often equipped with drop-down screens for viewing videos and have earphones for them. Helps to occupy the kids and keep them quiet.

veloduffer
08-25-2020, 02:58 PM
I would put mini-van as #1 for convenience and space.

Other choices:
Lincoln Navigator
Chevy Suburban
Ford Expedition

C40_guy
08-25-2020, 02:59 PM
Years ago we rented an Audi Q7 from Hertz for a drive down the PCH, from San Francisco to LA. Spent about a week in it. Wonderful vehicle. Now we own one...

More recently we rented a Dodge minivan for a family trip between Boston and Nashville. Boring as crap to drive, but roomy, with a thousand cupholders.

I'd rent the minivan again. It's the perfect shape for maximizing carrying capacity.

Just remember what it looks like and where you park it. We lost a rental minivan at DisneyWorld because we didn't remember *exactly* where we parked...and there were literally hundreds of grey SomethingOrOther LXs parked in each row... Took two hours of wandering around in the heat before we found it. Glad we didn't kill the remote battery, or we'd still be looking. This probably won't be an issue anytime soon...

zambenini
08-25-2020, 03:02 PM
Vans rule. I have loved every minivan I've ever owned or driven, but nothing holds a candle to my econoline. Does everything an F-150 can do, but seats 10 and rides like a Cadillac even though it rolls on 31"s.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1950/44723319505_e01a64dd85_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2b93GKB)2018-10-30_02-58-37 (https://flic.kr/p/2b93GKB) by z937 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30301870@N02/), on Flickr

yinzerniner
08-25-2020, 03:06 PM
... a souped-up Sprinter and pretend you're John Madden going from MNF to MNF game.

https://beckerautodesign.com/img/jetvan/gallery/adj/1.jpg

Ralph
08-25-2020, 03:25 PM
You already know the answer. The real question is whether or not you want to use yours....or rent one for those miles.

pooneej
08-25-2020, 03:36 PM
Do they still make conversion vans? LONG ago that's what my parents used for a road trip from NY to Disneyworld.

Was pretty plush - 35years ago. No doubt Dodge Caravans and the like are way nicer but curious if a modern conversion van exists? I guess thats what Sprinter conversions are now?

C40_guy
08-25-2020, 04:12 PM
You already know the answer. The real question is whether or not you want to use yours....or rent one for those miles.

So much easier to rent one, and the cost is pretty manageable on a weekly basis (if you have corporate or AAA discount codes).

I figure it this way...if I have to replace a tire or muffler or just about anything while on a 1000+ mile drive, I would much prefer to be able to call Hertz and say "I need another one" versus finding a dealer or mechanic or tire shop. Then consider the trip interruption while the vehicle is being fixed...

We did have a Hertz minivan that lit a CEL while moving my daughter to college years ago. I called Hertz, they found another minivan not too far out of our way, and we swapped vehicles. Added maybe 3-4 hours to the trip. If it had been my persona vehicle that needed attention, it might have added a full day or more (unless I just ignored the CEL, which is what I usually do with my Audis...)

verticaldoug
08-25-2020, 04:29 PM
I do Hertz and rent a Cadillac Escalade.

Treat yourself. Although the rainbow van on previous page does look appealing.

I just did a round trip in my GLC to Ann Arbor with my daughter. Next time, I am renting a Escalade so I have more room .... Besides, the Escalade will blend in Michigan better than the GLC. We may even go to a gun range for family day.

pdmtong
08-25-2020, 05:14 PM
I own a suburban and there is no substitute for the space it provides on a trip.
yes the gas mileage isnt as good as a mini-van, but how much extra cost in gas are you looking at? I really like being able to put anything I want in there without too much thought.

cgolvin
08-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Just remember what it looks like and where you park it. We lost a rental minivan at DisneyWorld because we didn't remember *exactly* where we parked...and there were literally hundreds of grey SomethingOrOther LXs parked in each row... Took two hours of wandering around in the heat before we found it. Glad we didn't kill the remote battery, or we'd still be looking. This probably won't be an issue anytime soon...

Apologies for the thread drift, but it's my understanding that Disney World has employees whose entire job is to help solve this problem, driving people around looking for their unrecognizable vanilla rental car.

Further drift: some years ago one of the FL airports (might have been Orlando) decided to repaint one of the parking garages over a weekend. They didn't just redo the existing paint, they also changed the color and numbering scheme. Oops.

rnhood
08-25-2020, 05:52 PM
Vehicles are made to be used, as they will depreciate whether spending time on the road or sitting in your driveway.

Take your Odyssey. The minivan is the way to go.

William
08-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Why the Metalic Pea, Wagon Queen Family Truckster of course!! You think you hate it now but wait til’ you drive it!:banana:

W.

CDRB
08-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Many moons ago I was planning a trip from Boston to Prince Edward Island. My Honda Odyssey had 150k on it. Rented a Town and Country van and had an awesome trip. Comfy and worry free. I got another 100k local miles out of the odyssey! Safe travels.

gbcoupe
08-25-2020, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=William;2783285]Why the Metalic Pea, Wagon Queen Family Truckster of course!! You think you hate it now but wait til’ you drive it!:banana:

Well, if you're going there... Aztek. Built in tent. Don't need to stay at hotels. :)

Minivan/Transit will do well.

EDS
08-25-2020, 06:40 PM
To me this all depends on how the kids are configured. If the plan is to have all three in the second row then anything with the trunk space you need works. If one kid is going in the third row then the extra trunk space of a suburban or other similarly massive vehicle really makes packing easier for long trips.

edsteck
08-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Minivans are so handy

Matthew
08-25-2020, 06:46 PM
Two pages in and not one mention of how dare you travel during a pandemic!!!! I vote mini van as well. Or a big SUV.

bikinchris
08-25-2020, 06:49 PM
Apologies for the thread drift, but it's my understanding that Disney World has employees whose entire job is to help solve this problem, driving people around looking for their unrecognizable vanilla rental car.

Further drift: some years ago one of the FL airports (might have been Orlando) decided to repaint one of the parking garages over a weekend. They didn't just redo the existing paint, they also changed the color and numbering scheme. Oops.

There is an App for that.

My vote is for a Lincoln Navigator. But if the kids are small, a Ford Transit Connect (it really doesn't drive like a van). If you have a LOT of kids, a Ford Transit van and the one in the photo looks great.

likebikes
08-25-2020, 06:55 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to trailer drift boats behind these beauties?

not hard at all, those transits can tow ~5k pounds. quite common here in colorado to see a transit van towing something (voat, canper, razr, etc)

gomango
08-25-2020, 07:25 PM
not hard at all, those transits can tow ~5k pounds. quite common here in colorado to see a transit van towing something (voat, canper, razr, etc)

Thanks!

Now, do we rent the boats or take ours?

hmm...

rwsaunders
08-25-2020, 07:36 PM
2 adults and 3 kids...rent a decked out SUV with an entertainment system and buy/rent a roofbox to hold the junk that you don’t need to access while driving, but like to have along for the trip. If not, go for the minivan...more room for luggage in the rear and you can still carry a roofbox. Don’t forget to keep a couple of airline distress bags handy in case one of your youngsters gets carsick a few times on such a long trip.

Fixed
08-25-2020, 10:10 PM
I have been thinking of getting a micro camper van thing to go to some remote spots for riding...first I have to relearn how to drive

Cheers

p nut
08-25-2020, 10:56 PM
Rent an SUV if you want 1/2 the MPG and same amount of room as a minivan.

We like our Sienna. But will probably go Pacifica next go around. I like those stow n go seats.

Coffee Rider
08-25-2020, 11:13 PM
... a souped-up Sprinter and pretend you're John Madden going from MNF to MNF game.

https://beckerautodesign.com/img/jetvan/gallery/adj/1.jpg

That looks like a pretty luxe way to travel by land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy sti
08-25-2020, 11:40 PM
I'm a little biased but I think my "minivan" is the best way to go.

https://i.imgur.com/4WHAtVl.jpg?1

Likes2ridefar
08-26-2020, 12:48 AM
Recently drove across the country in my X3 with two others. It was OK but the seats got uncomfortable after awhile for my bony butt. 9 to ten hours each day...

For me I like to go faster than most on the interstate being a racer and all :) and for that a minivan is not an option...

When I got back it was serviced and they gave me a loaded x5 for a week while I awaited a part It nearly drove itself. I’d take that but why not go bigger...

I’d rent an x7 if I could find one or something similar. Your butt, back, and muscles deserve it.

Ventilated seats, automatic centering in the lane, and heads up nav make the drive a lot less stressful.

AngryScientist
08-26-2020, 06:36 AM
in my X3

For me I like to go faster than most on the interstate being a racer and all :) and for that a minivan is not an option...

lol.

i'm not sure what you mean by this, or think you mean, but [depending on which version of the x3 you have] the power to weight ratio of a honda odyssey is almost identical (or slightly higher!) than an X3.

i think many people who hate, or think they hate mini vans have not driven a modern mini van.

thanks for the thoughts folks, i'll have to see what the rental place has available. my guess is it's going to be the Pacifica. we'll see!

GregL
08-26-2020, 07:01 AM
i think many people who hate, or think they hate mini vans have not driven a modern mini van.
Couldn't agree more. Most of the "bad rap" minivans have is strictly due to image. Since I'm an old, bald, engineer, I could care less about image and strictly go by fact. Modern minivans have plenty of power and handle fine. On my recent family trip, I often had to ease off the gas pedal when I inadvertently found myself way beyond the speed limit. And on a business trip to Italy, I was driven from Malpensa airport to Lake Garda in a Chrysler minivan. Our driver cruised down the A4 autostrada at 160+ KPH with zero stress on him or the van.

Greg

54ny77
08-26-2020, 10:15 AM
Did you really just say the phrase "power to weight" in attempting to describe the virtues of a minivan?

:D

lol.

i'm not sure what you mean by this, or think you mean, but [depending on which version of the x3 you have] the power to weight ratio of a honda odyssey is almost identical (or slightly higher!) than an X3.

thanks for the thoughts folks, i'll have to see what the rental place has available. my guess is it's going to be the Pacifica. we'll see!

weisan
08-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Children are very adaptable.

They could care less what car you drive as long as there's AC.

To them, it makes zero difference whether it's a Porsche or a Mercedes Benz...coz they are still strapped to their seats against their free will.

Just make sure you abide by the following protocols and you are good...

Crayons and coloring books.

Heaps of the most unhealthy snacks.

Unlimited movie collection.

On-demand PEDs...(Personal Entertainment Device)

7-Eleven store breaks that include slurpie and ice creams.

Grownups and overage adolescents on the other hand....is a bit more complicated.

retropean
08-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Aztek

Never would've believed it at the time, but I saw one of these from the back the other day and realized the design of the Aztek aged extremely well.

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Pontiac-Aztec-7.jpg

(yes, it's a render, and no, it's not just because of post-breaking bad hipsterdom)

William
08-26-2020, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=William;2783285]Why the Metalic Pea, Wagon Queen Family Truckster of course!! You think you hate it now but wait til’ you drive it!:banana:

Well, if you're going there... Aztek. Built in tent. Don't need to stay at hotels. :)

Minivan/Transit will do well.

Actually increased demand for these things...mainly due to the Heisenburg principle!

https://cdn1.iconfinder.com/data/icons/smashicons-emoticons-webby-vol-1/60/11_-_Heisenberg_emoticon_emoji_face-128.png

W.

Likes2ridefar
08-26-2020, 11:32 AM
lol.

That is fair, I can only go by our Ford Aerostar we had as a kid for soccer tournaments :) I have the 35i xdrive which at a quick glance has quite a bit more snap than the Honda though it is better performing than I expected. Maybe it’s in my future after all...:)

I have a hard time imagining a minivan doing well at bursts of acceleration in the 80 to 100mph range being very exhilarating or safe. Surely the brakes and handling are not as capable.

mt2u77
08-26-2020, 11:49 AM
Never would've believed it at the time, but I saw one of these from the back the other day and realized the design of the Aztek aged extremely well.

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Pontiac-Aztec-7.jpg

(yes, it's a render, and no, it's not just because of post-breaking bad hipsterdom)

Agreed. I saw one the other day and thought, hmm, that looks a lot like a modern crossover. I'm not sure if that says more about the Aztek, or the state of car design. Back in the day I would have puked.

There was a greenish colored one for sale locally with a cracked windshield. I chuckled.

skijoring
08-26-2020, 03:17 PM

https://i.imgur.com/4WHAtVl.jpg?1

Very on-trend!

pdmtong
08-26-2020, 06:04 PM
If I was buying today I would def buy a sprinter instead of the 'burb.

The sprinter is the luxe version of the Econoline 250 I used to own...

Hank Scorpio
08-26-2020, 06:15 PM
I was going to suggest a 1987 Ford country squire but I see William already posted the nuclear option.

“Rusty, please don’t eat the family truckster.”

In all seriousness the yearly trips to Cape Cod are done for my family. I have a Thule Atlantis 2100 you can borrow. Locks and all. No rush on the return as it was headed into storage this weekend anyway.

bikinchris
08-26-2020, 06:55 PM
Agreed. I saw one the other day and thought, hmm, that looks a lot like a modern crossover. I'm not sure if that says more about the Aztek, or the state of car design. Back in the day I would have puked.

There was a greenish colored one for sale locally with a cracked windshield. I chuckled.

I rented an Aztek once on a trip. If they EVER tried to give me one of those again, I would have said he'll no. Terrible EVERYTHING about that design. The driving, handing, sight lines, interior room and the tail gate was enough to make the Pope curse. Awful design.

Ken Robb
08-26-2020, 08:21 PM
I rented an Aztek once on a trip. If they EVER tried to give me one of those again, I would have said he'll no. Terrible EVERYTHING about that design. The driving, handing, sight lines, interior room and the tail gate was enough to make the Pope curse. Awful design.

I THINK I remember that when Bob Lutz (a real car guy) came to power at GM one of his very first moves was killing the Aztec. As I said, he was a real car guy. :-)
:)

Pinned
08-26-2020, 09:22 PM
If you can rent a Sprinter at a less than astronomical price that would be a stellar choice. Even better seating position than a minivan and loads of space.

Minivan is the best choice if you already have it. Throw a roof rack on if needed, or hitch cargo carrier, or whatever. You could even remove a middle row captain's chair to make more room (assuming you've got those).

If I could fit a Sprinter into my parking spot I'd be so tempted. Pickup truck is the closest I can get utility wise.

Andy sti
08-26-2020, 11:35 PM
Very on-trend!

I've had it almost 7 years - I'm OG!

FriarQuade
08-26-2020, 11:48 PM
Many posts ago there was a proposal to ditch the kids and get a convertible, preferably a Miata because that's always the answer. That's my answer and I do it whenever possible.

I've never understood the logic behind renting a car just to do a road trip. If you need something vastly different to a car you own, sure. If you're trying to keep miles off a leased vehicle, maybe. Your daily is pure electric, by all means rent a gasser. But renting a van when you already own a van seems, well, silly. Modern cars are pretty damn reliable these days after all.

jimcav
08-27-2020, 12:00 AM
I've done the 6k mile round trip just about every year since 2010. Sometimes twice. I've done it with family, and solo. I prefer solo, so I can stop and mtb as i wish. I actually prefer to drive and have my wife and kids fly (this was pre-COVID) so I can ride multiple places and pick them up at the airport.

I've done it in SUVs (ford jeep explore, grand cherokee), ram 1500, ford freestar, and once rented a dodge caravan (needed the fold flat feature to haul stuff back from my old room when my mom passed)

Hands down the minivans were the best long distance drivers. they are made to cruise. better gas mileage--it really adds up after 6k miles.

before kids my wife and I came out to san diego in a '98 mercedes slk, which was fun, but that was before I got back into mtb...

572cv
08-27-2020, 08:20 AM
I'm not up for any of the ideas proposed here, but I came across this way over the top .."van" ... just for fun.

https://www.unicat.net/en/info/EX70HDQ-MANTGA6x6.php

If the deployable ATV doesn't catch your attention, it does come equipped with an outdoor shower too.

slowgoing
08-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Rented a lot of SUVs lately to transport a big dog in comfort. The ones I liked most:

Ford Exlporer. Great vehicle. Nice up front, and in back the air comes from the ceiling, which is great for a dog, not sure how people would like it.

Volkswagen Atlas. HUGE. Surprisingly good handling.

72gmc
08-27-2020, 10:43 AM
If you want to enjoy driving, my wife's Mazda CX-9 is the best driving SUV I've experienced. Not great for volume hauling, though--we use a box and basket on the roof.

That's only if you don't choose a van, but you should choose a van. I've rented a Chrysler T & C for transport purposes and found myself telling my wife "I need one of these for skis and bikes and stuff."

merlinmurph
08-27-2020, 11:13 AM
With 3 kids, maybe this (https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/hygiene-and-sanitation/sanitation/rv-toilets/dometic-972-_-25288?avad=209007_e1c9dd9bd) is a good idea

https://www.outsideonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/img_850-width_flex-height/public/2020/08/07/dometic-portable-toilet_h.jpg?itok=5YfTHTDI