PDA

View Full Version : High-vis suggestions

Miller76
08-25-2020, 01:11 PM
My brother in law got buzzed this morning while riding on 9W. He said it was an extremely close call but I think the fact that the motorist pulled over and screamed (berated) at him like lunatic got to him more. “I have kids in the car, you’re dressed like a ninja, etc etc”

I’ve argued with him at length that he needs to be more sensible with his clothing choice, by looking at him you’d guess he’s a Rapha model. He wears all black or navy blue, head to toe. It’s ridiculous!!

I suggested a few pieces of kit from Specialized (hyper yellow) or Pearl Izumi in the past but wondering what the forums thoughts are in high-vis kit? He’s more of a fair weather cyclist so I’ve suggested brighter helmet, jersey, shoes...

He claims he does ride with lights but he’s more into form over function and now my wife is stressed that her young brother needs help!!

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
08-25-2020, 01:15 PM
i'll tell you for sure that the last weekend i was riding in western NJ and on a long flat road i saw some cyclists ahead, they turned out to be an older couple on some hybrids just out for a short ride.

point being, they were both wearing hi-viz orange jerseys, and man, i could see them very well for a looooong way off - so i do support that hi viz colors, especially orange definitely do work to increase people noticing you.

i think now that we are approaching the less intense heat season, something like the Rapha high viz proteam gilet would be a good addition to any kit to increase visibility.

https://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/RFA/RFA007K/BN.jpg

mjb266
08-25-2020, 01:28 PM
Dinotte Quad

Davist
08-25-2020, 01:28 PM
from experience daytime running lights top hi viz 100% of the time. I got hit in hi viz vest, shoes, gloves, and driver "didn't see me"..

Miller76
08-25-2020, 01:32 PM
from experience daytime running lights top hi viz 100% of the time. I got hit in hi viz vest, shoes, gloves, and driver "didn't see me"..

Ugh!!! Will make sure he’s using his lights!! Thanks

Seamus
Might upgrade the light situation if he's rolling with little blinkies. Either Bontrager Flare R/Flare RT or Garmin Varia would be good options for Daylight.

White or Bright helmet and shoes can also increase visibility without a full wardrobe change. Shoes, in particular, at least in-theory, should help with visibility as the constant movement of pedaling should be recognizable to a driver. Also could add a brightly colored buff in Covid-times/cold weather without committing to full-on high-viz.

All that said, it sucks your brother-in-law was buzzed by a driver and absurd for him to be shamed for it. I'd venture to guess it might have been the "kids in the car" that had frazzled the driver and made them nearly not see a human being(dressed in dark clothes!), on a bike, in front of their moving vehicle.

mjb266
Yeah...the hi vis alternative is assuming that people are actually paying attention and trying to see things they might hit.

The attention getting lights are assuming the opposite. People are not paying attention, and it's best if you try to get that attention through ridiculously bright flashing lights.

slowpoke
08-25-2020, 01:36 PM
If your brother in law insists on being a Rapha model, maybe suggest something from their Brevet line?

Secondly, highly visible feet, because they bob up-and-down, are known to capture human’s attention more than visibility in static areas. Pedal reflectors (the horror!) are good for that reason, but no one’s making reflective clipless pedals.

dsimon
08-25-2020, 01:37 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Lumos-Kickstarter-Helmet-Polar-White/dp/B073348GV4/ref=asc_df_B073348GV4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242002769514&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12880171577639687973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008020&hvtargid=pla-450866588281&psc=1

Miller76
08-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Might upgrade the light situation if he's rolling with little blinkies. Either Bontrager Flare R/Flare RT or Garmin Varia would be good options for Daylight.

White or Bright helmet and shoes can also increase visibility without a full wardrobe change. Shoes, in particular, at least in-theory, should help with visibility as the constant movement of pedaling should be recognizable to a driver. Also could add a brightly colored buff in Covid-times/cold weather without committing to full-on high-viz.

All that said, it sucks your brother-in-law was buzzed by a driver and absurd for him to be shamed for it. I'd venture to guess it might have been the "kids in the car" that had frazzled the driver and made them nearly not see a human being(dressed in dark clothes!), on a bike, in front of their moving vehicle.

Thanks Seamus, I forgot to mention we bought him a set of Bontrager Flare lights - he’s young and single and the ongoing rant about potentially being in an accident where young kids would be affected because of his choices may have stuck with him to be honest.

veloduffer
08-25-2020, 01:52 PM
Hi Vis socks - recent studies show it is perhaps the most effective cycling wear. The constant rotational movement of neon yellow or neon pink is very noticeable from both back and side.

As others mentioned, good tail lights or multiple lights. I often use two lights. Also a front light, much more visible to on-coming cars making left turns in front of you

Dinotte Quad is the best but the Bontrager Flare and Niterider Sentry are good. The Sentry also fits aero seat posts like my Madone and has a big view from the side.

Wearing a black kit is ridiculously dangerous. I can’t see some riders even though I am on the lookout for them, especially during bright days when they enter a shadow.

Road ID bracelet is also a good idea. Important if you have a medical condition or rare blood type.

old fat man
08-25-2020, 01:56 PM
Yup, lights first and foremost. Then bright socks and shoes cuz they're moving and draw more attention as a result. I also wear a yellow helmet and usually bright kits. Definitely not trying to be a Fred, but - better Fred than dead!

Ken Robb
08-25-2020, 01:59 PM
We live just above Gilman Drive which is part of the coast route to LA and beyond. It also leads 1 mile to the UCSD Campus so I see LOTS of cyclists solo and in groups. In daylight hi-viz jerseys are MUCH more NOTICEABLE than any lights to me. I think that's due to a light being no more than a few square inches vs. a jersey being several square feet of color that absolutely stands out from the surroundings. Pre-dawn and post-sunset lights are better.

ColonelJLloyd
08-25-2020, 02:03 PM
Belt and suspenders has always seem like the best approach to me. I ride with a Garmin Varia and wear a 3M Scotchlite Sam Brown belt so I don't have to be picky with jersey choices.

https://johnandjuliet.com/RUSA/Equipment/sambrown-belts.jpg

Seamus
08-25-2020, 02:12 PM
Thanks Seamus, I forgot to mention we bought him a set of Bontrager Flare lights - he’s young and single and the ongoing rant about potentially being in an accident where young kids would be affected because of his choices may have stuck with him to be honest.

Good on him for taking away something from the experience and hopefully he's not too spooked. Hope he's back out on the road tastefully visible soon.

dsimon
08-25-2020, 02:18 PM
Belt and suspenders has always seem like the best approach to me. I ride with a Garmin Varia and wear a 3M Scotchlite Sam Brown belt so I don't have to be picky with jersey choices.

https://johnandjuliet.com/RUSA/Equipment/sambrown-belts.jpg

No PTSD from the Army no more HiVis belts:no::no::no::no:

Waldo62
08-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Bright clothing, two rear blinkies albaze, plus a headlight at all hours of the day for me. I realize that black is slimming -- and I sure could use some slimming -- but it's more stupid than slimming...

Cornfed
08-25-2020, 03:45 PM
Bright clothing, two rear blinkies albaze, plus a headlight at all hours of the day for me. I realize that black is slimming -- and I sure could use some slimming -- but it's more stupid than slimming...

The headlight was a revelation for me. After years of riding with just a blinking tail light, I was almost hit head on by a car passing another cyclist coming the opposite way. Good for the driver for giving the other guy room, but he almost took me out in the process. I've since learned that half of all accidents are to the front and sides. I've ridden with a blinking headlight since. (And bright clothes, of course.)

verticaldoug
08-25-2020, 04:11 PM
as others have said, a big blinky red light on the back is way more visible than any hi vis clothing.

But isn't 9W a pretty wide shoulder everywhere with relatively long sight lines?

When it is darker, he may want to invest in a proviz vest.
https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/switch-mens-cycling-vest-red-reflective.html

gibbo
08-25-2020, 05:59 PM
A flashing rear light is by far the best option, but only if it is bright enough. I see lots of rear lights that just don’t have the intensity to be effective, spend the extra $ and get something bright! I use an exposure trace, and it is well made, water proof, and highly visible from a long distance. Not cheep, but worth every cent IMO. Mix in either white or high vis on the socks and helmet and motorists have no excuse not to see you.

smead
08-25-2020, 06:26 PM
Not to say high vis kit/gear isn't important and helpful, but my experience over the years has been that I get buzzed just as often when really visible (banana jersey, blinky, etc..) as not. Around here most who buzz do it on purpose. My best defense is being able to see and being aware of what is coming up behind me - yes I'm a dork mirror proponent. Takes care of both scenarios - the one doing it on purpose and the one buried in their phone.

With that said, most all of my riding these days is out in the country. If I were still commuting through urban areas, I'd be lit up like a Christmas tree these days, day or night.

Frankwurst
08-25-2020, 06:42 PM
I have one of these. Bontrager Flare R/Flare RT. A couple of years ago I was riding and a guy in a pickup truck slowed beside me and ask me "where did you get that light"? I replied and he said "I could see that SOB from way back by the last hill." I thanked him and replied "Good it's doing it's job". He told me it was definitely doing that and then some, gave me a thumbs up and moved on.
I've noticed with the bright light people on average tend to give me a wider berth. I'm convinced they work. :beer:

edsteck
08-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Cyclist and pedestrians with dark clothing are really hard to see especially at dawn and dusk. Show some flash.

CNY rider
08-25-2020, 06:47 PM
Boure makes great high-vis jerseys and socks.
I ride in them frequently.
We have very few cars up here so I'm not sure if they make a difference.
But if you want a high quality brand at a reasonable price give them a try.

soupless
08-25-2020, 07:26 PM
I"m always really surprised at how visible a bright helmet is. I'm thinking specifically of POC and MET in orange.

FlashUNC
08-25-2020, 07:37 PM
Eh, the lights should suffice. If someone's not paying attention it doesn't matter what he's wearing, and the kids in the car will be scarred by daddy's manslaughter charge regardless.

Peter P.
08-25-2020, 09:12 PM
I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Take out an insurance policy on your brother-in-law.

If he's clueless or resistant to your suggestions, might as well profit off him.

Plum Hill
08-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Not sure why any cyclist dresses in black. Black is funeral attire.
Friends have high vis helmets. One has a fluorescent green Giro and another an orange POC. Those things catch attention.
I also like high vis socks or lights around the ankles.
I’m a believer in the old Serfas bar end lights on blink mode. They do not blink in unison and do catch peoples’ eye. I know. I bought mine after encountering a rider on the way to work one morning.
https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-TR-1-Tracer-Road-Light/dp/B00MBI3E8E

bikinchris
08-26-2020, 07:03 AM
At minimum, a 100 lumen tail lamp.
250 is better.
Two rear lamps is better still. Edited to add: Along with a 400 lumen headlamp.
At night, you want less brightness and one steady, the other blinking.

Clothing should show your outline of a human, not just a blob of color. Long sleeves work best. In daylight, bright colors are great. But at night, white is better and fully reflective is best. Seeing the pedaling motion is vital. I wish there were more pedal options for daytime visibility.

CycloBadger
08-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Did a 268 mile solo gravel/road ride last week, with a fair share of paved roads. I used the following, and (luckily) had no issues with vehicles over the 22 hours of ride time. Anything Hi-Vis and moving (socks, shoes, shoe covers) are super noticeable, as veloduffer mentions. His Road ID suggestion is also spot on.

Tracer 360 lighted vest (definitely not in the Rapha lineup:), but super effective).
https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360
Hi-Vis yellow Pearl Izumi jersey with reflective 'BioVis' pocket material.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Pearl_Izumi_BioViz
Bontrager Halo Crew Cycling Sock in 'Radioactive Yellow' w/reflective bands.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike-clothing/cycling-socks/bontrager-halo-crew-cycling-sock/p/26799/?colorCode=yellowvisibility
Bontrager ion pro rt 1300 (solid for night, flashing for day).
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-front-lights/bontrager-ion-pro-rt-front-bike-light/p/22466/
Planet Bike Super Flash tail light on saddle bag (blinking mode).
https://www.planetbike.com/superflash-bike-tail-light/
Bike Smart Microflash in red on helmet (blinking mode).
https://bikesmart.com/collections/lights/products/microflash-front
Road ID (hopefully not needed, but provides some peace of mind).
https://www.roadid.com/

pcb
08-26-2020, 12:09 PM
I haven't ridden the length of 9W in a dog's age, but IIRC there are some sections that narrow and have no shoulder. Further south, just leaving Englewood Cliffs, and farther north as well.

In my 60s now, still have memories of feeling worried/sketchy on those sections when I was in my 20s. You know, back in the 8-track tape era, back before there were cell phones, before automobiles had onboard entertainment consoles with screens.

as others have said, a big blinky red light on the back is way more visible than any hi vis clothing.

But isn't 9W a pretty wide shoulder everywhere with relatively long sight lines?

When it is darker, he may want to invest in a proviz vest.
https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/switch-mens-cycling-vest-red-reflective.html

pcb
08-26-2020, 12:17 PM
If you don't want the whole traffic control officer sash/belt look, you can just get the sash part. Lightweight, easy to carry/stow.

https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Reflective-Safety-Sash/dp/B06XKW8LC6/ref=asc_df_B06XKW8LC6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242055571124&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4531944367523193833&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003637&hvtargid=pla-615879957766&psc=1

Only drawback is on group rides I often get asked to sweep, so the leader can look back and see me easily, confirming nobody got dropped, and once I showed up for a ride starting in a state park and the leader at first thought I was a park worker/employee. He was very confused, thought I had maybe showed up to complain/harrass or whatever. I was confused, and worried, that he might think a park employee would be wearing cycling clothing and a helmet, and be pushing a bicycle....

No PTSD from the Army no more HiVis belts:no::no::no::no:

pcb
08-26-2020, 12:24 PM
I got a couple of Cygolite Hotshots, which are very bright, work well, and are easy to live with.

pdonk
08-26-2020, 12:39 PM
If your brother in law insists on being a Rapha model, maybe suggest something from their Brevet line?

Secondly, highly visible feet, because they bob up-and-down, are known to capture human’s attention more than visibility in static areas. Pedal reflectors (the horror!) are good for that reason, but no one’s making reflective clipless pedals.

My wife insisted that I add reflective tape to the back of my shoes due to the amount of dawn riding I do. Simple, cheap and not too bad looking.

Fixed
08-26-2020, 01:20 PM
O,range poc helmet
And 2 blinky lights on the back always on when riding in the morning
Cheers

mdeth1313
08-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Along with the front and rear lights, I switched to all fluorescent/hi-vis yellow and orange clothing a few years ago and it makes a huge difference in being seen.

Even with distracted drivers, when they actually look up, they're more likely to catch/see the hi-vis stuff than if you're wearing black or gray.

My 2 helmets are orange and yellow. Only downside I've had so far is it makes it a lot harder to execute roadside bladder relief!

caneye
08-26-2020, 09:00 PM
I got a couple of Cygolite Hotshots, which are very bright, work well, and are easy to live with.

I have both the Cygolite Hotshot and Hotshot Micro. Love them. Easy to use and charge lasts a long time.

Recently, I rode behind a guy with Cygolite Hypershot. That one was waaaay brighter than any other bike in the group.

professerr
08-26-2020, 10:33 PM
Defeet makes lots of hi-viz socks. They are strikingly ugly, which is perfect. Add any hi-viz jersey, and the whole outfit will clash abominably, which is more perfect.

I save the pretty, traditional colored stuff for group rides (remember those?) when the size of the group creates the visibility, and even then I always wear a bright helmet.

fijichf
08-26-2020, 10:43 PM
Recently, I rode behind a guy with Cygolite Hypershot. That one was waaaay brighter than any other bike in the group.

I started using a Hypershot about 2 months ago and I would put it up against a Rotlicht or Dinotte Quad any day.

XXtwindad
08-26-2020, 10:50 PM
I like black cycling clothes myself. However, it doesn't play well with shadows. The Rapha lightweight hi-viz gilet (picked up from Kirk007) is my favorite piece of cycling apparel.

It's PINK!!! (Hi-Viz Pink, not the Pepto Bismo pink of other Rapha stuff) Great for visibility and days when the temp soars past 85, which is often here in Oakland.

bikinchris
08-27-2020, 02:08 PM
My wife insisted that I add reflective tape to the back of my shoes due to the amount of dawn riding I do. Simple, cheap and not too bad looking.

Look on the Rivendell web page for their reflective ankle straps. They attach so that they stick out more so there is more area to reflect light. They really make a difference.

Ozz
08-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Look on the Rivendell web page for their reflective ankle straps. They attach so that they stick out more so there is more area to reflect light. They really make a difference.

Nite-Ize makes some light up ankle straps in various colors.....I've used them and are pretty nice. Available on Amazon....other places too I imagine.