PDA

View Full Version : Pre glue tubular stretching.

robt57
08-25-2020, 10:27 AM
Started up tubular again, the tubeless tech has justified to me to roll them again. So far so good.

I air up tubulars on clincher rims to stretch, always have. Grab a wheel, wrap the tubular around the clincher rim, air up close to max psi [-10/20], left sit.

In this case I used one wider clincher rim which I have never done stretching a tubular before. Always a 15c, because last time I stretched a smaller sew-up all that was around was 15c open pro rims, or and unglued sew-up rim.

The 30mm Strada I did last month sat atop the clincher rim for the stretch. These today are 25mm LGG tubeless tubuars [Clement/Donnelly]

It appears the base tape caught on the wider rim edge and upon airing up pulled the tire into the rim cavity. It looked like it had a 12" section that was grossly smaller. I double checked aired up off the rim and realized my mistake.

I was about to return that tire. But checked off the rim @ 80 PSI to make sure I sent the right one back. OOPS!

The other on an Open Pro rim sat fine and passed the smell test.

Never had a fat rim around back when doing 22-3mm tubular installs. Live and learn.

The 25 LGG look to wanna be 26mm+ inflated. Looking forward to rolling these.

bikinchris
08-25-2020, 10:34 AM
I have always stretched tubular tires on tubular rims. Man, that sucks.

robt57
08-25-2020, 10:38 AM
I have always stretched tubular tires on tubular rims. Man, that sucks.

Best first choice, but no nude ones laying about just now. But I always used a 15c clincher so I could get glue on the rim going and drying.

I have to pull the CX-SC Vitts off the Rolfs these are going on. But they are still good, so not got that far until I knew the new tires passed pre install smell test.

Did I say I am excited about rolling these? ;)

Hindmost
08-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Never would have occurred to me to stretch a tubular on a clincher rim. Are the rim bed diameters similar?

wallymann
08-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Never would have occurred to me to stretch a tubular on a clincher rim. Are the rim bed diameters similar?

i do this as well, simply because i dont have any extra tubie rims laying around. seems to work well enough...the bed-vs-bead diameters seem quite similar if not the same.

sokyroadie
08-25-2020, 02:27 PM

I do it also and it has the seal of approval from our resident curmudgeon AKA old spud :p

robt57
08-25-2020, 03:37 PM
Really just to keep them from turning inside out. Which these did not do off the rim @ 80 PSI. The 30mm Stradas sure did. But that makes it easier to glue the tire when they rotate presenting the tape for the acid brushing of the mastik. ;)

teleguy57
08-25-2020, 03:42 PM
I've even loaned a tubie spare to someone on clinchers who didn't have anything to get home. Riding is better than walking....

robt57
08-25-2020, 03:57 PM
I've even loaned a tubie spare to someone on clinchers who didn't have anything to get home. Riding is better than walking....

Turning optional. ;)

I'd do it on a rear and ride accordingly.

Davist
08-25-2020, 04:14 PM
Turning optional. ;)

I'd do it on a rear and ride accordingly.

A friend of mine bought a used bike, and put a new tire on it, didn't know they needed to be glued, we went on a long (for us at the time, BMX guys) ride through a canyon near us, and he told me when we got home how easy it was (I then, calmly, told him about the glue part) boy did we get lucky that day! Almost no residue on the rim and a back tire..

Scott5182
08-26-2020, 08:29 AM
It’s not that difficult to stretch onto a tubular rim if you start on each side of the stem and work it evenly holding the wheel onto the floor or work bench side. Then pump them up to 90 psi overnight. Been doing it that way for almost 40 years.

carpediemracing
08-26-2020, 09:20 AM
A friend of mine bought a used bike, and put a new tire on it, didn't know they needed to be glued, we went on a long (for us at the time, BMX guys) ride through a canyon near us, and he told me when we got home how easy it was (I then, calmly, told him about the glue part) boy did we get lucky that day! Almost no residue on the rim and a back tire..

I can't remember specifics but working in a shop for a while, plus being a (racing) cyclist regardless, I've had numerous times where I've gone to dismount a tubular and it literally popped off the rim.

One time it was my teammate's tire. He took a while to catch up on a climb, longer than usual, and we bombed down the next descent. He apologized for the long climb, told me he flatted and put the spare on. I asked him if the spare tire had glue on it etc. No. We rode gingerly home (we were ~50 miles from home). Tire popped off fully aired. I have no idea how he didn't roll the tire (he's 6'7" and rode a 66 cm frame, so lots of stress on the tire).

Heck my first racing bike I flatted both tires at the end of my first season (debris). I went to remove the tire and it peeled right off. After that I always glued my own tires, and it takes me forever and a day to remove a single tire. Screwdriver until maybe 3-4 inches are off, jam the screwdriver shaft in, then roll carefully so as not to let the base tape stick to the rim. Since the rim is usually good I'm trying not to destroy the rim.