PDA

View Full Version : Froome, Thomas, Cavendish miss this years TDF

scooter01
08-24-2020, 05:15 PM
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bradley-wiggins-backs-brailsford-after-chris-froome-and-geraint-thomas-miss-tour-de-france-selection/

mpken
08-24-2020, 06:11 PM
I hope we can see Cav back in the mix this year in some GT sprints.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2020, 06:18 PM
Hasn't the whole world missed this years TDF?

I mean, how can you take an Indy 500 seriously that takes place at the end of August without the 400,000 people surrounding it?

I'm too lazy to find it, but, I think it was WAPO that had an article recently how a dunk just isn't a dunk without 25000 screaming fans in response in today's NBA. Sports needs fans.

Write this year off with an asterix. Don't get me started about this supposed baseball "season".

tctyres
08-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Team Ineos is handled in this thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=256891

As for Cav, he was left off last year's team for DD. He didn't make the time cut on stage 11 of the 2018 TdF, and in 2017 he and Sagan had that dust-up crash in an early stage. He might be the winningest active sprinter in the pro peloton, but he doesn't have a lot of wins left in him.

Those remaining wins for Cav are not in world tours, especially not the TdF.

PQJ
08-25-2020, 05:02 AM
IMO, the only wins Cav has left are at the Tuesday Night World’s. I say this as a big fan of his. He is done.

jpw
08-25-2020, 05:57 AM
Cav for PR 2020.

oldpotatoe
08-25-2020, 07:11 AM

I mean, how can you take an Indy 500 seriously that takes place at the end of August without the 400,000 people surrounding it?

I'm too lazy to find it, but, I think it was WAPO that had an article recently how a dunk just isn't a dunk without 25000 screaming fans in response in today's NBA. Sports needs fans.

Write this year off with an asterix. Don't get me started about this supposed baseball "season".

Agree....a year from now(hopefully sooner) this whole thing will be a story to tell your kid's kids..

batman1425
08-25-2020, 07:24 AM
Agree....a year from now(hopefully sooner) this whole thing will be a story to tell your kid's kids..

Agreed. Different set of challenges this year - nobody has the perfect build up, much racing in their legs, new protocols in place to keep people as safe as possible. Hard to compare outcomes this year to others.

I suspect there are some riders that are thinking - meh... I'll train and race hard to keep my job, but I'm not going to risk my shot next season with a late season injury or illness for a questionable shot at glory this one. Further I doubt any team managers or sponsors will balk at a lack of results for anybody this year.

tuxbailey
08-25-2020, 08:28 AM

I think the F1 races are fine without the crowd. Actually the broadcast focus more on actual midfield action vs just random shots of crowd/pit/celebrities.

prototoast
08-25-2020, 08:35 AM
IMO, the only wins Cav has left are at the Tuesday Night World’s. I say this as a big fan of his. He is done.

I agree with this. At his best, he was a hell of a sprinter, but if he couldn't sprint so well, he wouldn't have even been on a world tour roster. He was always struggling to make the time cut in the mountains, and these past few years, it was clear he wouldn't be able to do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could still win a few sprints if he could make it that far, but I doubt he'll ever be able to finish a grand tour again.

Mr. Pink
08-25-2020, 08:41 AM
I think the F1 races are fine without the crowd. Actually the broadcast focus more on actual midfield action vs just random shots of crowd/pit/celebrities.

That's an indication of how F1 has created an experience almost entirely divorced from the attending spectators over the past thirty years or so.

mep
08-25-2020, 11:34 AM
It's not looking good for Cav, but to be fair I don't think anyone knows where his cap is at. He's had a variety of ailments over the last couple years, if the stars align we may get to see what he's still capable of in one good year.