PDA

View Full Version : New York Locals Only

Mike V
08-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Time and time again I see sellers from New York City that will not ship a bike. Local pick up only. Why is that?

jtbadge
08-24-2020, 04:41 PM
scam potential is great.

Also I don't want to lug a bike box to drop off at a shipper on the subway. Or even be on the subway during this pandemic.

rallizes
08-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Time and time again I see sellers from New York City that will not ship a bike. Local pick up only. Why is that?

i mostly don't want to deal with the hassle and scam potential

pcb
08-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Do you mean NYC specifically, as opposed to other major metropolitan cities with populations in the millions, with folks mostly living in small apartments, with bicycle retailers tight for space so they can't keep boxes around for folks wanting to ship used bikes, _and_ then having been recently slammed unbelievably hard by covid spread and incredibly high mortality rates?

I'm not meaning that to be as smartass as it maybe sounds. Even in pre-covid times, when I lived in not-NYC major metro cities, in small apartments, with no automobile, the logistics of getting a box, getting it into the apt, getting it packed in the apt, getting it back out of the apt and to the shipper, would have been a huge pain in the neck.

Add covid-induced social distancing to those stumbling blocks and I wouldn't be surprised by any city dweller not wanting to ship bikes. And with a population of millions to draw from locally, why bother?

If you're saying that NYC sellers don't want to ship bikes, but _downtown_ Chicago, Miami, Houston, yadda yadda yadda residents will, that I dunno.

alexihnen
08-24-2020, 05:36 PM
I’ll venture that it’s easier to sell a bike locally in NYC - there are many potential buyers. If you’re selling a Merckx with C-Record in South Bend, well you may need to ship. That’s just one thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
08-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Probably because it's a major p.i.t.a. to get everything boxed and shipped. Same all over the place by the way, and def. same for me (I hate the hassle of packing and shipping).

hockeybike
08-24-2020, 05:54 PM
Getting a bike box from a a shop to an apartment and then packing it in your apartment is a hassle. Getting that 25lb box to a pack n ship or post office is another, bigger hassle, usually.

If you offer to pay for packing and shipping at a shop, that might help, but will definitely raise the price.

slowpoke
08-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Also, there's a chance for damage and loss when shipping. So if the seller created the BikeFlights / ShipBikes order, they're now the ones dealing with insurance. Versus selling locally--once the cash is in your hands, your obligations are done.

I don't blame people for not shipping frames/bikes (and grateful for when they do--you know who you are, thanks!).

Mr. Pink
08-24-2020, 06:10 PM
NY metro is a big market. They'll maybe ship if that doesnt work. Or turn it into a cool street bike.

Mike V
08-24-2020, 06:21 PM
It's something I have noticed pre Rona. NYC most of the time local only.

The scam thing is individual and I understand. I have done a few transactions here and have not had anything go south yet.

I see people say all the time take it to local bike shop and they'll pack n ship.

I have had 3 non car owners ship from SF to me. Didn't think that was easy.

I guess i thought is was a different concept to come here with a fore sale and possibly advertising to a handful

Just an observation

matic
08-24-2020, 06:33 PM
i'm from NYC and post bikes on ebay and craigslist. i dont own a car so a pick up is what i would prefer as looking for boxes and packing materials sucks.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 06:39 PM
You're kidding right? You can't figure this out?

verticaldoug
08-24-2020, 06:53 PM
It's because west coast dudes killed Biggie.

AngryScientist
08-24-2020, 06:57 PM

i needed a laugh tonight. thanks doug. :hello:

Mike V
08-24-2020, 07:03 PM
You're kidding right? You can't figure this out?

No I'm not kidding. In the past I've had some old Schwinn Cruizer sent to me. Things must have changed.

edsteck
08-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Lots of prospects.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 07:50 PM
Much higher idiot factor on this forum since the Pandemic.
I guess things really have changed.

Mike V
08-24-2020, 08:07 PM
You're very negative. Hope tomorrow starts off better.

54ny77
08-24-2020, 08:11 PM
So awesome.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 08:13 PM
The bullseye suits you.

54ny77
08-24-2020, 08:17 PM
By the way one of the unique experiences I've had selling bike parts while living in the big apple include meeting a guy in Grand Central to buy my entire bike. Must've looked like a nefarious transaction with him handing me an envelope of cash!

Granted, that was long ago. Wish I had that bike !

I can totally see anyone not interested in shipping. I just drove up to LA to buy a gorgeous set of wheels by a fellow forum member who also didn't want to ship, which I totally respected. Besides, it was a nice drive.

Keep in mind too that some folks are themselves health compromised or live with people who are , so going out to deal with getting packing materials then packing up and dropping off at post office or FedEx simply isn't an option. Gotta respect that fully.

At the end of the day, nobody should get their chamois moist about how folks choose to handle selling used bike gear. If you the buyer really need something, go to the LBS or go online and buy new. Simple.

I've got a stash of stuff I'd like to sell but have zero time or interest to box it up and ship. I usually end up giving stuff to LBS mechanics to hand out to kids or folks who they know could really use it. Good bike karma works its way around the world.

Mike V
08-24-2020, 08:39 PM
The bullseye suits you.

How so?

hockeybike
08-24-2020, 08:39 PM
One other consideration -- there's a chunk of NY for whom the time spent packing/shipping a bike as well as the hassle of shipping and communication far outweighs any monetary value. So, either meet and sell instantaneously, or let the thing tkae up space on a hook.

Conditional on having the space to let a bike just hang in NYC, there's a decent chance the person selling it isn't looking to re-fill a bike fund...or any fund.Not a certainty, but at the least a non-zero chance.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 08:51 PM
Sorry I can't help you.
How so?

Pegoready
08-24-2020, 08:55 PM
New Yorkers don't have space... so they want to take longer to sell their bikes that are taking up their space. Simples.

Monsieur Toast
08-24-2020, 09:31 PM
Sorry I can't help you.

While assumedly not the favorite of some forum members, your posts are making me miss living in New York.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 09:39 PM
Gee is this the best you can do?
I have a bike for sale. Let's talk.
You're very negative. Hope tomorrow starts off better.

Mike V
08-24-2020, 09:59 PM
gee is this the best you can do?

glws!

jtbadge
08-24-2020, 10:00 PM
this thread is so weird

slowpoke
08-24-2020, 10:01 PM
Gee is this the best you can do?

Why do you feel the need to be a jerk?

So you find OP's question naïve. We get it. Close the window and move on with your oh-so-very-important life.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 10:18 PM
Why do you feel the need to be a jerk?

So you find OP's question naïve. We get it. Close the window and move on with your oh-so-very-important life.

Oh my life is not important at all.
I was just trying to sell a bicycle.
Tell you what. In the spirit of east/west coast relations I'll make you a special offer.
I can ship it in one box for $1000 or 20 boxes for free.

veloduffer
08-24-2020, 10:20 PM
MikeV - NYC is a massive bike market given it’s density, most folks don’t need or have cars, and the subway makes easy to get around to the five boroughs. As a result there’s no need to bother with hassle and cost for boxing & shipping - it’s too easy to sell it within NYC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
08-24-2020, 10:39 PM
this thread is so weird

Mm hmm.

johnmdesigner
08-24-2020, 10:47 PM
Sorry girls it's past my bedtime.
Let's try for a better world tomorrow.

tctyres
08-24-2020, 11:10 PM
Up until 2 weeks ago, I lived right on 115th in Manhattan, and I lived there for 10 years. I had an apartment right across the street from a UPS store and the Fedex office was a block away. I never had a problem getting a box or shipping.

Right now, with covid, the NYC market is red hot, so it's completely understandable why some people don't want to ship. As for times before, I have no idea. I never saw this in ads, and I never had a problem.

As for john ... in my experience, he's all right; though he's been a little salty in this thread. People in NYC are a little tense from being in NY, and then they are a little more tense from being boxed in with covid.

Seinfeld had an op-ed in the NYTimes on covid that's worth reading. There is a type of person who thinks NYC is heaven, and he's in that camp. If you're not in that camp, that's fine. I wasn't.

NYCfixie
08-25-2020, 05:26 AM
First of all I think it is how one defines NYC. Most non New Yorkers think of NYC as Manhattan and do not think of the outer boroughs. In most but not all parts of the outer boroughs it can be quite suburban and if one owns a car it’s not a problem. Within Manhattan that is a different story. It is rare to own a car in Manhattan and even if you do it’s not to take bike boxes to UPS or FedEx. And unless one is a multi billionaire you often don’t have an apartment or storage space that will hold more then 1 bike.

I grew up in Manhattan and spent most of my life there. At most I only ever owned a road bike and at one time also owned a track bike. I either sold complete bikes to locals with cash or just donate old parts to recycle-a-bicycle because it was never worth packing and shipping or dealing with the nut jobs on Craig’s list.

What many people do not know is that other major metropolitan areas are actually much more suburban than Manhattan. LA everyone has a car whereas SF is much more urban. Again Manhattan is so urban and public transport so good that many never even get a drivers license. And yes I have both relatives well into their 80s and friends in their 40s and 50s who have never driven a car and many who never got a license.

So it’s not some big slight but rather just not worth the hassle. When a person who can afford a decent bike is probably making 200,000 and spending $4000-$5000 a month on a rental apartment your time becomes very valuable and as such used bike parts are not. Simple time management and economics.

echappist
08-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Up until 2 weeks ago, I lived right on 115th in Manhattan, and I lived there for 10 years. I had an apartment right across the street from a UPS store and the Fedex office was a block away. I never had a problem getting a box or shipping.

Ha, we were practically neighbors for a few years

That UPS store and FedEx sure made it quite a bit easier to ship stuff, and as I was a broke grad student, of course I shipped.

jamesdak
08-25-2020, 08:43 AM
Well I'm not from NY but I won't pack and ship either. I only sell locally. To me I just want the person to see the bike and know for sure what they are getting. I also just don't want to deal with the hassle of something possibly being damaged or anything else. Want to keep a good rep too and all it takes is one unhappy buyer receiving a bike not as they think it should be and complaining.

Oh the flip side I have no issue with buyer something that is shipped, LOL!

Mr. Pink
08-25-2020, 08:44 AM

Right now, with covid, the NYC market is red hot, so it's completely understandable why some people don't want to ship. As for times before, I have no idea. I never saw this in ads, and I never had a problem.

As for john ... in my experience, he's all right; though he's been a little salty in this thread. People in NYC are a little tense from being in NY, and then they are a little more tense from being boxed in with covid.

Seinfeld had an op-ed in the NYTimes on covid that's worth reading. There is a type of person who thinks NYC is heaven, and he's in that camp. If you're not in that camp, that's fine. I wasn't.

You weren't as insanely rich as Seinfeld.

lhuerta
08-25-2020, 10:40 AM
...most NYC dwellers do not own CARS and lines at most USPS or other shipping places are often loooong...

hokoman
08-25-2020, 10:54 AM
...most NYC dwellers do not own CARS and lines at most USPS or other shipping places are often loooong...

I need to ship out two headsets and I walked over to the post office down the street from my office, I was a block away this morning and turned around after seeing the line. I need to figure out a different way to ship....

echappist
08-25-2020, 11:08 AM
I need to ship out two headsets and I walked over to the post office down the street from my office, I was a block away this morning and turned around after seeing the line. I need to figure out a different way to ship....

The automated service machines used to allow one to ship via First Class, with confirmation. I think they took that away recently, and it has to be counter service now...

Then again, the line for the automated service machine in the Post Office on 112th (the one by your alma mater, from what I gather) could also get really long.

Prepaid shipping label + drop-off is the way to go

DHallerman
08-25-2020, 11:08 AM
If you offer to pay for packing and shipping at a shop, that might help, but will definitely raise the price.

And yet the shop here, about 40 north of NYC, that used to pack and ship whole bikes for me said "Sorry, we're too busy now to help with that."

But as you know, a frameset alone is easier to ship (getting it ready today, DG!).

So I'll ship framesets, but am looking local for the next two whole bikes I'll be selling: a 56cm Heron Road and a 50cm(?) IF Crown Jewel. But neither one seems like a Craigslist type bike, in that most C'list buyers seem naive about bicycles.

For instance, I did a local sale for a Specialized Allez Pro, and the buyer -- a man in his 20s -- was very happy about it. But he called me the other day to say "Hey, why do I have 9 gears in the back but only one in the front?" I had to point out to him that the bike has two gears (chainrings) up front, a 48 and a 34. He seemed embarrassed.

mep
08-25-2020, 11:19 AM
If you were trying to sell ping pong balls in China, you wouldn't have much incentive to pack them for shipping overseas.

Bruce K
08-25-2020, 11:20 AM
We’re done.

The personal sniping still doesn’t work.

Moderators will be discussing infractions etc

BK