PDA

View Full Version : Skinny 29er tires?

d_douglas
08-23-2020, 11:32 PM
I have some Mavic Crossride 2.1 tires on my Kona Sutra drop bar bike. They were on hand and actually pretty good gravel tires, but I need something wider and more aggressive for off-roading. They measured out at barely over 2.0” on the rim (ENVE M50s)

This weekend I tried an old set of Conti Trail King 2.4” and sadly they were too big. I would’ve loved to try that, but the side knobs touched the insides of the stays, so definitely not an option.

What options are out there for 2.2 tires with an aggressive tread, like a Conti Trail King? I know these can be had to n 2.2, but what are others? Minions are too wide, I am sure.

Thanks for any replies!

Old School
08-23-2020, 11:43 PM
2.1 Schwalbes, I'm a Rocket Ron fan, and I think the newer Racing Ray is a step down, but it rolls a bit better and runs a bit skinnier, so I would definitely look at 29 x 2.1 Racing Ray

JWB475
08-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Rene Herse recently released a knobby tire called the Fleecer Ridge, 700c x 2.2", designed for the Tour Divide...

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/700c-x-55-fleecer-ridge/

Jaybee
08-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Rekons are one of my favorite fast rolling but still some bite tread patterns. I’ve never run them smaller than 2.4WT but there is a 2.25 available.

p nut
08-24-2020, 10:21 AM
I’d try Maxxis Ikon 2.2’s. Pretty fast rolling.

If you need more bite, Ardent (or Ardent Race) would work up front.

d_douglas
08-24-2020, 11:36 AM
I am looking for wet weather tires. Not dh tires, but PNW tires :). I think the Rekons would be slippery here.

That RH tire looks cool, but jeez, the $$$! I don’t think my sutra is worthy.

Jaybee
08-24-2020, 12:16 PM
I am looking for wet weather tires. Not dh tires, but PNW tires :). I think the Rekons would be slippery here.

I totally forgot about your location - my bad. Anyway, for peeps in dryer parts, Rekons are awesome.

More knob without getting into downhill casings or tire sizes 2.3 and above is tough. It's also tough to find stock of virtually anything these days, but here are some suggestions which I have no personal experience with:

Forekasters come in 2.2 and are specifically marketed as a wet weather tire - that might be what I 'd try first.
also:
Trail Boss
Ground Control
Nobby Nic
Rocket Ron has some really tall square side knobs for an otherwise XCish tire.

i've also got a set of Mountain King 2.2s with about 40% life left that you can have for the price of shipping. (US to Canada, I know, maybe not worth it)

.RJ
08-24-2020, 12:34 PM
I have s-works renegade in 1.9 on my 29er 'gravel' bike. They're light and roll fast but my experience them in the past has shown that I'll slide a sidewall in the rear sooner than later.

Another good option would be a schwalbe g-one, they come in 29x2.25, at least, thats my next tire on this bike. Panaracer also makes the gravel king in 29x2.0.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Galleries/Bike-Randoms/i-X9Q35dq/0/d363c3b2/X4/IMG_0682-X4.jpg

John H.
08-24-2020, 12:36 PM
How skinny/wide are you seeking? Gravel has opened the door to a whole bunch of tires in the 40-50mm width range.

RudAwkning
08-24-2020, 12:37 PM
I totally forgot about your location - my bad. Anyway, for peeps in dryer parts, Rekons are awesome.

More knob without getting into downhill casings or tire sizes 2.3 and above is tough. It's also tough to find stock of virtually anything these days, but here are some suggestions which I have no personal experience with:

Forekasters come in 2.2 and are specifically marketed as a wet weather tire - that might be what I 'd try first.
also:
Trail Boss
Ground Control
Nobby Nic
Rocket Ron has some really tall square side knobs for an otherwise XCish tire.

i've also got a set of Mountain King 2.2s with about 40% life left that you can have for the price of shipping. (US to Canada, I know, maybe not worth it)

I second the Forecaster as "skinny" mtb tires for wet weather if you can fit 2.2s.

John H.
08-24-2020, 12:43 PM
My 2.1 Racing Ralph looks narrow- Someone called me out on it yesterday.

d_douglas
08-24-2020, 12:45 PM
How skinny/wide are you seeking? Gravel has opened the door to a whole bunch of tires in the 40-50mm width range.

Ohhh, thats nothing! I am looking at a 2.2" of so MTB tire. It is a Kona touring bike that Ive been riding off-road with. The tire on there now is a 2.0" and there is tons of room, but not enough to use a giant 2.4" (my old Trail Kings)

Yes, the 2.2" Forekaster looks like an option.

It seems like a weird size these days - too skinny for a serious MTB tire (around here anyways) and too wide for any standard gravel bike. I feel like these things will turn up in the 70% off bin at my LBS as no one wants them! (?)

Jaybee
08-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Ohhh, thats nothing! I am looking at a 2.2" of so MTB tire. It is a Kona touring bike that Ive been riding off-road with. The tire on there now is a 2.0" and there is tons of room, but not enough to use a giant 2.4" (my old Trail Kings)

Yes, the 2.2" Forekaster looks like an option.

It seems like a weird size these days - too skinny for a serious MTB tire (around here anyways) and too wide for any standard gravel bike. I feel like these things will turn up in the 70% off bin at my LBS as no one wants them! (?)

It is a weird size for your use case. The only MTBers that still run 2.2 or 2.1 are the XC racer types that want barely any knob at all. Even those riders and tires are starting to trend into the 2.3/2.4 territory.

2metalhips
08-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Teravail has a couple of 2.2 29er tires. The Sparwood and Rutland. Sparwood is a fast rolling bikepacking tire, Rutland has more bite.

d_douglas
08-24-2020, 05:21 PM
I am thinking the Trail King 2.2 or the Maxxis Forekaster are the frontrunners. I know this is a stupid idea to run this bike off-road, but it is so fun, and it cant help but be more fun if the tires are as big as they can be!!

zambenini
08-24-2020, 05:25 PM
I have had great success this year with the Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal combo. Can be had on discount and I think they're a bargain for how awesome they are. I run the 2.35s front and rear, but they are available in narrower (2.25 and maybe 2.1) in skinwall! I have been really impressed with the grip as well as how smooth and fast they feel.

Jaybee
08-24-2020, 06:28 PM
I am thinking the Trail King 2.2 or the Maxxis Forekaster are the frontrunners. I know this is a stupid idea to run this bike off-road, but it is so fun, and it cant help but be more fun if the tires are as big as they can be!!

If it's fun, sounds like a great idea!

d_douglas
08-24-2020, 06:58 PM
If it's fun, sounds like a great idea!

My maxim for the summer for sure :)

lavi
06-16-2021, 12:33 PM

What did you end up with?

I totally think your Sutra is worthy of these tires! My Rove ST gets nothing but the best!!

And, these tires (regardless of the polemics around them) are great...AND are were designed for PNW riding.

Next time I have a need for something gravely for my Rove (rolls 650b/42-48 or 700c/32-35), I'll nab some of these.

chrismoustache
06-16-2021, 01:11 PM
I'm running some Specialized Fast Trak 29x2.0 on my Kona Unit commuter. They're pretty low-profile and roll well.

I think you can still find WTB Nano 40's in a 2.0 too.