PDA

View Full Version : DI2 battery level

Overshot
08-23-2020, 11:22 AM
Hey all,
A quick question or clarification on the DI2 battery level.

I have been going on the same charge for 1400 miles (some rollers, and some very flat riding) intentionally to see how it would react when it dies out. Today it died, and I lost the front derailleur as expected. The rear got me back just fine. I have a 8070 groupset, with bar end junction box, all up to date firmware. When the front derailleur cut out by pressing the right shifter button to check the level it showed it as solid red, but by pressing the left shifter button it was flashing red. I have always monitored battery level by the right shifter so far.

I was under the impression you could use either shifter button on each shifter to check the battery level. Is this the case? Now that is it 100% charged I get a solid green status from either shifter.

Ay input or clarification is welcomed!

TerryDi2
08-23-2020, 01:20 PM
I think the flashing you got was not the battery level, but more like a "warning - cannot shift the FD" kind of thing.

Normally you should be able to check the battery level with either shifter, yes :)

Overshot
08-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Terry:
Thanks, I was hoping you would weigh in on this 😊

What seems odd to me is after I lost the front derailuer the right shifter still showed solid red battery level using the right shifter, and flashing red for the left derailer. I was surprised to not have front DR function with a solid red battery level.
Thanks again

muz
08-23-2020, 08:34 PM
You get quite a few rear shifts after the front stops. I got a "low battery" warning on my GPS at the start of a 300k. It turns out a shifter was pressed the entire drive, exhausting the battery. Front stopped shifting 30 miles in, minimizing my shifts I was able to finish the remaining 160 miles, still keeping up with my buddies. Gave me a good excuse to suck wheel the whole day :) (and a lot of high RPM spinning).

TerryDi2
08-24-2020, 01:47 AM
Terry:
Thanks, I was hoping you would weigh in on this 😊

What seems odd to me is after I lost the front derailuer the right shifter still showed solid red battery level using the right shifter, and flashing red for the left derailer. I was surprised to not have front DR function with a solid red battery level.
Thanks again

Yeah... I wish I had an empty battery so I could check it out. I will... some day.. ;-)