PDA

View Full Version : Campy 13 speed patent

bikinchris
08-22-2020, 09:34 PM
This article describes a Campy patent for a rear derailleur with a curved progression of the jockey wheels.

https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/20/patent-patrol-campagnolos-curving-wide-range-derailleur-13-speed-cassettes-eps-buttons-more/

ducati2
08-22-2020, 09:35 PM
There it is

Mark McM
08-22-2020, 10:46 PM
The method to produce the curved path of the derailleur is too complicated. And is it indicates, it has to be adjusted to match different cassettes. Campagnolo already failed a few decades ago with their over-complicated rod-actuated Croce de'Aune derailler and adjustable slant angle Chorus derailleurs, and I don't see doing any better. A dual spring system (as used by the Shimano and SRAM MTB derailleurs) is simpler, and inherently self-adjusting. I doubt we'll see this new derailleur design got into production.

Velocipede
08-22-2020, 10:50 PM
The method to produce the curved path of the derailleur is too complicated. And is it indicates, it has to be adjusted to match different cassettes. Campagnolo already failed a few decades ago with their over-complicated rod-actuated Croce de'Aune derailler and adjustable slant angle Chorus derailleurs, and I don't see doing any better. A dual spring system (as used by the Shimano and SRAM MTB derailleurs) is simpler, and inherently self-adjusting. I doubt we'll see this new derailleur design got into production.

Part of the patent is already in the current and 2015+ derailleurs. The Embrace Technology is what it's called now. They already have the threaded hole, that body pin and the gearing inside the rear derailleur. The hole has a threaded plug right now. So it wouldn't be hard to add a set screw to the current design.

Velocipede
08-22-2020, 10:55 PM
pic of the Embrace gearing. That hole above his thumb is the threaded hole that they have a plug in.