PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still weighing bikes in the era of fat tires and bike packing?

colker
08-22-2020, 07:43 AM
Tires are never fat enough. Everything is fat, thick and heavier from head tubes to reinforced frames. It´s made to carry things into the wilderness. Discs will stop you and who cares if it´s heavier. Racing is old... now it´s about riding. So why do you care about lightweight?

oldpotatoe
08-22-2020, 07:50 AM
Tires are never fat enough. Everything is fat, thick and heavier from head tubes to reinforced frames. It´s made to carry things into the wilderness. Discs will stop you and who cares if it´s heavier. Racing is old... now it´s about riding. So why do you care about lightweight?

Even if the bike is used for loaded, back country, camping or touring, people still care about how much is weighs, even if that means little or if the lightness means something will break. Put 2 'backcountry' bikes next to each other..the buyer will do the 'lift bike up to determine it's goodness', and buy the lighter one...even if it 'may' be less reliable..

BUT, even tho the 'fat bike', GRoad bike' 'fad is upon us, most 'riders' still ride a 'road' bike on the ass-felt.

Can only 'measure' 2 things on a bicycle, weight and price. If it's light(er) and more expensive, it's 'gotta' be more better...:)

colker
08-22-2020, 07:57 AM
Even if the bike is used for loaded, back country, camping or touring, people still care about how much is weighs, even if that means little or if the lightness means something will break. Put 2 'backcountry' bikes next to each other..the buyer will do the 'lift bike up to determine it's goodness', and buy the lighter one...even if it 'may' be less reliable..

BUT, even tho the 'fat bike', GRoad bike' 'fad is upon us, most 'riders' still ride a 'road' bike on the ass-felt.

Can only 'measure' 2 things on a bicycle, weight and price. If it's light(er) and more expensive, it's 'gotta' be more better...:)

At first i thought lighter bikes would be more "flickable". Then i realized BMXers are heavy. No one flicks or gets more air than BMXers.

jamesdak
08-22-2020, 07:58 AM
I do, just for the heck of it. My weights are the full bike with saddle, pedals, and as many bottle cages it will take. The only thing missing from when I ride it will be the saddle bag and frame pump. Ones in red are now passed on to other riders.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170974207.jpg

colker
08-22-2020, 07:59 AM
I do, just for the heck of it. My weights are the full bike with saddle, pedals, and as many bottle cages it will take. The only thing missing from when I ride it will be the saddle bag and frame pump. Ones in red are now passed on to other riders.

Your bikes are heavy. Everybody has a 16lb bike now. Mine must be 21lbs

jamesdak
08-22-2020, 08:07 AM

Steel is real! :banana::banana:

oldpotatoe
08-22-2020, 08:08 AM

HA...If I ever lose my 'SBW', 'Standard Bike Weight', 20 pounds, of me fat arse, my bikes will weigh...ZERO..:eek:

Ken Robb
08-22-2020, 12:19 PM

What size(s) are these bikes?

robt57
08-22-2020, 12:27 PM
My Strong All Road Disc made in 2015 is a 4lb frame and 1.6lb steel fork.

Last Crater Lake jaunt it was 46lb rolling, with my Ortliebs semi stuffed, but only 32mm tires.

I got the job of hauling the water, SLR camera, tool, tubes, yada. Just because I had the most miles for the year by a lot of the small group of 3. ;)

It is all relative. But it seems all my buds [some here] don't talk about the weight of anything when it is north of 20lb. ;)

I can get the Strong well under 20 easily, I don't bother. I just take a plastic thing when I think weight s going to matter.

akelman
08-22-2020, 01:14 PM
I weigh all of my bikes twice per day—morning and evening. I make sure they practice strict portion control and eat nothing but macrobiotic foods. If they gain more than .05% of their total weight, I check the surveillance cameras. In that case, they're usually getting stoned and making midnight runs to In-N-Out, which can be fixed by locking the garage. I haven't had had to take the next step: removing their wheels.

mtechnica
08-22-2020, 01:16 PM
I care. I’m going to buy a carbon fiber hard tail because I don’t want a 30lb bike.

colker
08-22-2020, 01:19 PM
I care. I’m going to buy a carbon fiber hard tail because I don’t want a 30lb bike.

Hmm.. a 28lb bike sure is much faster.

Hellgate
08-22-2020, 01:27 PM
Tires are never fat enough. Everything is fat, thick and heavier from head tubes to reinforced frames. It´s made to carry things into the wilderness. Discs will stop you and who cares if it´s heavier. Racing is old... now it´s about riding. So why do you care about lightweight?And one day the pendulum will swing the other way for the better.

Oh, and my main bike is 15.6ish with pedals, cages and computer mount.

jamesdak
08-22-2020, 01:29 PM
What size(s) are these bikes?

54 - 56 cm

KarlC
08-22-2020, 01:37 PM
I do sometimes just for fun tho ......

WAX ON ....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50047164903_c8d7dc40d3_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50047983852_1b6f657dc5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50048476697_3ca83a516f_b.jpg

Mark McM
08-22-2020, 01:51 PM
I built up two specialty bikes in the past 5 years, one for criteriums, and one for hill climb races. For the criterium bike, the first priority was aerodynamics, and the 2nd priority was stiffness/handling. Weight wasn't much of a priority, but it still came out pretty light (around 17 1/2 lbs). For the hill climb bike, the first priority was lightness, with stiffness a distant second. This one is diligently weighed, and is currently between 11 1/2 and 12 1/2 lb, depending on which wheels and saddle are installed.

To answer the question, I weigh bikes when weight matters, which is pretty much just for bikes that go up steep hills.

Ralph
08-22-2020, 02:02 PM
I still remember in 1973 when Schwinn made a big deal out of proclaiming their "NEW" wider 27 1/4" wide tires on their touring Paramounts rolled better than the more narrow tubulars of the P13 Paramounts. I had both bikes....and couldn't feel the rolling difference, but could feel the LeTours were heavier and less "lively". So...I guess if you wait long enough.......

mtechnica
08-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Hmm.. a 28lb bike sure is much faster.

Low-mid 20s hopefully.

cmbicycles
08-22-2020, 02:38 PM

WAX ON ....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50047164903_c8d7dc40d3_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50047983852_1b6f657dc5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50048476697_3ca83a516f_b.jpgBefore and after pictures? You sure dont use much. ;)

marciero
08-22-2020, 04:52 PM

WAX ON ....

You'd also want before and after weights of the rags or whatever was used to apply and buff ; )

FriarQuade
08-22-2020, 10:35 PM
I get a new mtn bike every year or two, haven't weighed one in years.

barnabyjones
08-22-2020, 10:54 PM
My riding buddy is on an 11 pound big box bike which is about 8 years old. He's decided to upgrade to a C64 or Sl7. Either way he's looking to ride a 15 pound build. He's finally accepted that if he's going to get dropped and climb at 7mph it should be in style. My bikes all weigh around 17 pounds. I think 20 plus is too heavy.

ridethecliche
08-22-2020, 11:00 PM
Talk to anyone that thru hikes.

Low weight is very important.

gdw
08-22-2020, 11:10 PM
Bikepackers who actually do multiday rides in the backcountry are generally quite conscious of the weight of their bikes and gear. They typically chose the lightest reliable components and equipment that they can afford and is able to stand up to the conditions they expect to encounter.

smontanaro
08-23-2020, 05:26 AM
I've never weighed any of my bikes. I was I little surprised when I entered a bike in Strava for the first time recently and it required a value for the weight field. Why do they care?

mdeth1313
08-23-2020, 05:37 AM
My riding buddy is on an 11 pound big box bike which is about 8 years old. He's decided to upgrade to a C64 or Sl7. Either way he's looking to ride a 15 pound build. He's finally accepted that if he's going to get dropped and climb at 7mph it should be in style. My bikes all weigh around 17 pounds. I think 20 plus is too heavy.

There was an 11 lb "big box bike" in 2012?

proxient
08-23-2020, 12:08 PM
At first i thought lighter bikes would be more "flickable". Then i realized BMXers are heavy. No one flicks or gets more air than BMXers.

my BMX in the late 90's was 48 pounds (no, seriiously).

my BMX bike now, 22ish.

current one is extremely more maneuverable.

barnabyjones
08-23-2020, 03:27 PM
There was an 11 lb "big box bike" in 2012?

Cannondale Black Inc Evo. He swapped the brakes and wheels for THMs and Lightweights.

charliedid
08-23-2020, 03:52 PM
I built up two specialty bikes in the past 5 years, one for criteriums, and one for hill climb races. For the criterium bike, the first priority was aerodynamics, and the 2nd priority was stiffness/handling. Weight wasn't much of a priority, but it still came out pretty light (around 17 1/2 lbs). For the hill climb bike, the first priority was lightness, with stiffness a distant second. This one is diligently weighed, and is currently between 11 1/2 and 12 1/2 lb, depending on which wheels and saddle are installed.

To answer the question, I weigh bikes when weight matters, which is pretty much just for bikes that go up steep hills.

The hill climb fascinates this flatlander. Can you post a pic of that one?

Thx

joosttx
08-31-2020, 02:58 PM
Weight matters on a bike. To deny it is foolhardy. I have gotten my FS MTB down to 21.7 pounds with tools and plugs in the handlebar. I love how light this baby is....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50290986098_f2d025770d_h.jpg

colker
08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
Weight matters on a bike. To deny it is foolhardy. I have gotten my FS MTB down to 21.7 pounds with tools and plugs in the handlebar. I love how light this baby is....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50290986098_f2d025770d_h.jpg

Very nice bike. As an all around truth yeah lighter bikes are better and i take pride in building a lightweight. Otoh ime 2lbs of bike weight won´t matter much in a 3hr ride either mountain biking or road riding. ymmv. that´s my experience and how i feel.

Likes2ridefar
08-31-2020, 05:12 PM
Recovered weight weenie and after destroying my previous carbon gravel bike, I am quite happy on my surly midnight special. It clocks in at 25lbs all decked out and ready to ride. I do have high end parts on the heavy steel frame and fork, but they perform well and aren’t just lightweight.

For the riding I do, I’d not consider anything else. No more cracked carbon down tubes from rock strikes, and when I crash..oh well instead of oh #$@ I hope it didn’t mess up the frame or fork!

owly
08-31-2020, 05:18 PM
I do like having a fairly light bike as I like to find climbs. Don't mind so much then putting on heavier, wide and knobby tyres. 17.5lb ti build.

jimoots
08-31-2020, 10:53 PM
my BMX in the late 90's was 48 pounds (no, seriiously).

my BMX bike now, 22ish.

current one is extremely more maneuverable.

Yep growing up I was riding a 20kg, nowadays they're 10kg pretty easily.

Much, much easier to ride a 10kg bike but modern geo probably accounts for a bit too. I don't know how we did it as 12 year olds.

With a road bike I generally ride the lightest bike with the fastest tyres I can. My moots (everyday-er bike, sees lots of miles) is around the 7.8kg (17lbs) mark and I think my Colnago (race/climby bike) is around 15.5lbs... Nago is plenty light as far as I'm concerned but wouldn't say no to another kg off if I could do so reliably.

Love the sensation of moving as fast as possible as effortlessly as possible. Nothing better.

joosttx
08-31-2020, 11:54 PM
Very nice bike. As an all around truth yeah lighter bikes are better and i take pride in building a lightweight. Otoh ime 2lbs of bike weight won´t matter much in a 3hr ride either mountain biking or road riding. ymmv. that´s my experience and how i feel.

Well I guess it depends on what you are comparing it too.

doomridesout
08-31-2020, 11:59 PM
When I set off on my own I don't think much about it- trying to hold a wheel I curse every unnecessary gram.

martl
09-01-2020, 12:59 AM
Currently preparing my 2003 purchase for a respray. I do bike pack with a backpack and fat tires belong on Mountainbikes

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f3/5/508/508302-h23hj312v9gk-polish_20200828_203601478-medium.jpg (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/508302)

Hilltopperny
09-01-2020, 06:32 AM
I feel like a lighter bike can be significantly better depending on the terrain you intend on riding. I went from a Mukluk SUS to a carbon Mukluk last year and it was a game changer. It dropped around 5-6lbs and made my winter exploration miles much more enjoyable especially on the climbs!

Ditching the Bluto definitely dropped some weight as did running the tires tubeless. The carbon Mukluk does have 5” studded tires and a dropper as opposed to the 3.8” of the SUS that had a standard Thomson elite seatpost. It for sure made the riding more enjoyable for me!

My Drifter is probably around 21lbs in its current state. I use heavy leather saddles and the current wheel set up is a generic tubeless with a dynamo up front and generic rear wheel. It still rides wonderful in this iteration with the right gearing. In spring/summer mode it is around 18.5-19lbs and feels a bit more lively. The bike is rock solid and even after a pretty bad wreck about a year ago there was no major damage.

My new gravel bike is a carbon Parlee Chebacco and I have only done one proper ride in it so far, but it is probably around 17-18lbs with the Berthoud leather saddle. This bike is very lively feeling and felt great on and off the road. I have yet to ride it for more than 3 hours whereas my No22 has been out all day long on a number of occasions and always excelled in both comfort and performance for long rides.

My Alchemy is probably in the high 17lb range and after putting 10lbs back on due to inactivity I had a tough time last week going up the 6 miles of hills at the end of my ride last week. That had more to do with the sustained climbing, sharper grades, under geared and poorer fitness though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TunaAndBikes
09-01-2020, 07:23 AM
I care about weight even during longer multi-day rides
Went the extra mile weighing clothes I brought along etc.
I'll never know if I did notice a difference, but i'm sure whatever weight i'm not hauling around on 2200m elevation makes a difference.

Regardless, it's always fun to see your friends envy you for your weight, or rather the lack thereof.

Jaybee
09-01-2020, 10:04 AM
I care about weight even during longer multi-day rides
Went the extra mile weighing clothes I brought along etc.
I'll never know if I did notice a difference, but i'm sure whatever weight i'm not hauling around on 2200m elevation makes a difference.

Regardless, it's always fun to see your friends envy you for your weight, or rather the lack thereof.

This for real. I care way more about extra weight pushing a loaded bike on a 25% grade at 11,000 feet than I do out for Sunday spin on an unloaded bike, even when I'm trying to go fast.

My first bikepacking trip had me quickly re-evaluating what is necessary, what is not, what luxuries provided the most value/gram (lightweight foldable camp shoes for the win, says me) and exactly how much extra water I needed to be carrying between known sources. Mailed a bunch of stuff home on my first post-office resupply.

FlashUNC
09-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Weight matters more to any bikepacker than it does your usual weekend crit warrior.

etu
09-01-2020, 06:26 PM
For road or gravel riding, lighter bikes don't have much of a downside other than the cost. It can be claimed that they may be less durable or have worse ride quality, but these would be considered by most to be weak arguments.
However for trail riding and bike packing, prioritizing weight with some thought can have a real down side.
For example, after using a bivvy and hating it, I have gladly carried the extra several pounds of a TWO man tent for the extra comfort and space on subsequent trips. I also happily carry several pounds for cooking gear as a hot meals at the end of the day is a highlight of my backpacking experience. Obviously there is a personal preference to all of this.
Lastly, I see a lot mtbikers around the bay are riding heavier DHR/DHF combos on our mostly XC type of trails such as Tamarancho and Annadel. They could be riding lighter tires with less aggressive tread which can easily save over a pound of rotating mass. I switched from low profile tread to DHR/DHFs myself and it was one of the best moves I have made. I love the extra traction and love the velcro feeling on some of the steeper switch backs. A lot of trail riding seems conducive to frequent stops and focus on the fun factor, not as much speed, not the say that going fast isn't fun.
So does weight matter? Sure, but it is not as simple IMO in the bikepacing/trailriding discipline due to the importance of other factors that are critical for a good experience.

kevinvc
09-01-2020, 07:04 PM
I am not at all a weight-weenie, but I am becoming a bit more weight conscious. When I'm bikepacking I'm not at all interested in my speed, but definitely care about comfort. So I don't mind packing coffee and a comfortable sleeping pad. I want to make sure I have things that aren't going to break and leave me stranded, so I have a solid rear rack and 32 spoke tires on strong rims. I have a Fargo, which ticks off all the boxes but is HEAVY.

My last trip had more climbing than I've done previously and I really noticed it. I'll definitely be paying more attention to components and gear in the future. If I could, I'd love to get a Ti Fargo, but those are rarer than hen's teeth. In the meantime I'm still really happy with the ride, but I'll cut grams where I can.

colker
09-01-2020, 07:51 PM
Well I guess it depends on what you are comparing it too.

Traction and drivetrain efficiency are the most important aspects in performance and fun level. A light bike is... light: it does not change much the riding experience. I will go the extra mile for a balanced bike. A balanced bike is nirvana: it´s the so called "telepathic handling". The bikes i have w/ this quality are not the lightest ones. Maybe it´s just coincidence and i won´t build any theory around this fact.

commonguy001
09-02-2020, 08:23 AM
I used to live where it was flat mostly and weight never really mattered that much to me although I did weigh my bikes just to see. Now I live where it's not flat but the roads are trash so I end up riding huge tires and mostly stay on forrest roads so my bike is again not light. Saying that, I did weigh it just to see :banana:

My drop bar everyday bike is a Cutthroat and around 22 pounds before you put on frame bags and all that. Works for my purposes but won't win any speed contests between the weight and 2.2 inch tires.

vincenz
09-02-2020, 08:47 AM
A lightweight bike still feels snappier/faster, even if you don’t have world tour power to notice any difference. A lightweight set of wheels is also flattering to your efforts up hills. A bike that feels fast may make you faster. Rider psychology has a big role in riding imo, and equipment choice has a lot to do with it.

Just want to note that the fat tires thing isn’t as accurate these days. Before, if you wanted to run 30mm tires for “comfort” it would be 300g each on wheels that were 1600g. Now you can get that same width with 25mm tires because of wider internal widths and the wheels themselves are much lighter for the same money, so overall saving about a pound in weight, which is a lot.

I don’t think weighing bikes will ever fall out of favor, especially for road bikes.

rain dogs
09-02-2020, 11:17 AM
I still keep track of weight in the same way, as others, have mentioned, I do with backpacks. It's just another data point to make decisions by

I think there is a difference between keeping track of weight and trying to achieve the lightest possible bike, which in the bikepacking realm for me isn't important.

However, if all things are relatively similar, why use a much heavier component vs a much lighter? Tires at wider sizes 45mm can be like 250+grams difference, so I can only imagine the differences at even larger widths!