PDA

View Full Version : Using a hip/fanny pack on a 200km ride - bad idea?

timto
08-22-2020, 07:31 AM
I've signed up for a 200 mid sept but don't have dedicated bike bags. I do have a tiny Ruth works bag on the handlebar but wanted to have a little more stuff than what fits there and was thinking of taking a hip pack I have. I'll aim for 10 hours but have never used a hip pack for more than errands. Any caution against this?

Shorts wear? Discomfort? I have no clue what to expect. Thanks in advance.

cp43
08-22-2020, 07:50 AM
There is no reason you can't use a hip bag, my only caution would be that you'll want to have some miles with it before you take it on a 10 hour ride.

Load it up with what you want to bring, and do training ride. If it's totally comfortable for 50 or 60 miles, it should be fine on the 200k.

Chris

rnhood
08-22-2020, 08:34 AM
I get along fine with a fanny pack but, I don’t excessively load it up and I use quality ones that are not too big. There are some creative seat bags out there that have healthy amounts of storage. I would get one of these, and use a smaller fanny pack of 2 or 3 liters max.

ColonelJLloyd
08-22-2020, 08:46 AM
I like a large burrito bag (barrel shaped handlebar bag) for longer rides. That said, I've never used a hip pack.

nooneline
08-22-2020, 08:53 AM
I've used a hip bag in a pinch for some stuff and don't recommend it - I suppose it depends on your riding style but it sure can bounce a bit. It would drive me nuts on a 200.

There are these cheap handlebar bags out there (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bike-Touch-Screen-Front-Tube-Handlebar-Bags-Phone-Holder-Pouch-Pannier/174390310667?hash=item289a78f70b:g:OzQAAOSwRylfM6L e) on ebay for ten bucks. It holds a decent amount for a day trip or a long ride - snacks, stuff that I don't want in my pockets, even a (very small) change of clothes.

verticaldoug
08-22-2020, 09:25 AM
really bad idea.

Either go for a small backpack or a frame bag
https://www.ortlieb.com/usa/frame-pack-toptube

I think the fanny pack belt will become super painful over time if you are in a bike position. I'd expect you end up slinging it over a shoulder like a messenger bag before the ride is over.

120 miles is not that far, so I think you can stuff everything you need in your jersey pocket.

chismog
08-22-2020, 01:38 PM
All good advice, but I'm predicting Doug is correct. Get a bag that fits on the bike and not on the body. There are all sorts of interesting options out there now.

You could certainly try it, and maybe it will work ok.... but I think your fears are correct, and it will put wear spots on your clothes and body. Personally, after that much time in the saddle even my gloves are feeling uncomfortable.

You didn't mention if the ride is supported, has stocked rest stops, or access to stores. That info should play into your strategy of how/how much you carry.

PS: Hi Tim! Currently unbuilt, but still have my Genie!

dbnm
08-22-2020, 01:41 PM
Check out the Ruthworks wedge (the orange bag).

I would get one of these before attaching anything to my body

weisan
08-22-2020, 01:57 PM
I have done it. Like backpack and hydration pack, fanny pack comes in all sizes and design, and it may or may work for the individual until you actually try it for yourself.

Two observations from my own experience:
1) It gets "hot" back there...because of the lack of ventilation and hugging the body, it get warm and sweaty especially after prolong use.

2) If your fanny bag is slightly bigger and drops down over time, when you are standing, it hits the seat every now and then, kinda annoying.

A well-designed fanny bag will wrap around and secure well on the body. But the two above-mentioned factors may still be present.

Test it out for yourself and see whether you can tolerate it. It varies from person to person. I did it when I was in my early 20s and rode all over with it. I don't think I will do it now...much prefer a frame bag.

jpw
08-22-2020, 01:59 PM
Shallow frame bag.

mmendoza87
08-22-2020, 03:09 PM
I will make a genuine contribution about fanny bags and a shameless plug here:

I have used a fanny bag/pack on long rides before and it works well. Probably much better than most people think. The reason is because the weight is supported by your hips (instead of your back or shoulders like a small backpack). You don't feel the weight on your hips, as long as the pack isn't restricting leg motion and the waist strap doesn't pinch. See what I can carry in my setup here:

https://i.imgur.com/mMsejRb.png

What also works well is a slim frame pack as others have mentioned. My bag here was intended exactly for long days in the saddle while staying fairly aero and out of the way.

https://i.imgur.com/FzsagJ6.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/GNkIu55.jpg?1

It's this: https://postcarry.co/products/frame-pack

jtakeda
08-22-2020, 03:10 PM
You’ll be fine.

I’ve done brevets with a Ruthworks rackless bag and a saddle bag—saddle bag holds all tools and spare tube, Ruthworks bag holds snacks, cue sheet, pen and stuff my jacket or whatever in there.

I also just did 100 miles (so not quite 200km) with a saddle bag and hunter waist pack and was totally fine

My only advice is bring snacks, things you’ll actually want to eat on the bike and get a small pack of saltstick salt tabs.

gdw
08-22-2020, 03:30 PM
I've signed up for a 200 mid sept but don't have dedicated bike bags. I do have a tiny Ruth works bag on the handlebar but wanted to have a little more stuff than what fits there and was thinking of taking a hip pack I have. I'll aim for 10 hours but have never used a hip pack for more than errands. Any caution against this?

Shorts wear? Discomfort? I have no clue what to expect. Thanks in advance.

What are you planning to carry that doesn't fit into your handlebar bag? Raingear, tubes, tools, snacks, etc. Do you have a rough estimate of what the extras might weight?

Hellgate
08-22-2020, 05:01 PM
When was a fanny pack a good idea?

Joel
08-22-2020, 05:57 PM
Many good thoughts. Here's my two cents.

Net - test the bloody heck out of it to make sure you don't chafe. If not, ok then.

Backstory. Vietnam. Six days in the NW Mountains on the borders. Couldn't leave anything in van, follow cyclo, or with village folks. Had integrated back pack - fanny pack. It was hotter than he**. I'm really thin so no chafing. But at end of the week both pairs of shorts were chafed on the outside so badly I had to trash them. Worn damn near thru.

On bike storage for what you need, if you can please.

Joel

pdmtong
08-22-2020, 06:29 PM
there is no reason to do the fanny when so many on frame options are available. Plus, those options would allow items heavier than you might prefer for the fanny.

Peter P.
08-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Add my vote to "don't do it".

You want quick, convenient access to your jersey pockets. Fanny packs prohibit that. I've ridden 200km rides with a Camelbak and while it carries everything I need, it's not as cooling as a bare back an inconvenient accessing the contents on the fly.

Get a larger seat bag or handlebar bag and free up access to your pockets. I don't like the idea of frame bags because the straps eventually wear at the paint. If you're riding Ti you're immune but even bare carbon will eventually show scuff marks.

Many great suggestions above.

gdw
08-22-2020, 06:50 PM
Add my vote to "don't do it".

You want quick, convenient access to your jersey pockets. Fanny packs prohibit that. I've ridden 200km rides with a Camelbak and while it carries everything I need, it's not as cooling as a bare back an inconvenient accessing the contents on the fly.

Get a larger seat bag or handlebar bag and free up access to your pockets. I don't like the idea of frame bags because the straps eventually wear at the paint. If you're riding Ti you're immune but even bare carbon will eventually show scuff marks.

Many great suggestions above.

Helicopter tape under the straps prevents abrasion.

p nut
08-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Did a century with a fanny pack about 10 yrs ago. Never again. The straps kept digging into my thigh below the hip bone with every pedal stroke.

I rode a fixed gear and when pedaling downhill, it would bounce like crazy.

It was nice not to have a pack right up against my back. But I’d try anything else than going with a hip pack again. Rear rack, front rack, frame pack, feed bags, front bag. Keep it on the bike.

timto
08-23-2020, 07:43 PM
thanks all - ride is unsupported and ill try locate a frame bag in advance. excellent perspectives thanks for sharing

marciero
08-24-2020, 04:47 AM
As has been suggested, bar and frame bags obviate the need to carry anything on your body and give you quick access. I also prefer nothing in jersey pockets most of the time. I do like having them for quick stowing the occasional wind vest after doffing while riding, for quick access to reading glasses, or for wallet or other small item.

srode1
08-24-2020, 07:53 AM
I would use a small hydration pack and a top tube bag before i used a fanny pack. Seems to me like a fanny pack would block the use of your jersey pockets somewhat on top of being very uncomfortable. I have an orange mud hydration pack that holds 2L of water which is very convenient, comfortable on longish rides and leaves easy access to jersey pockets.