Obviously a shoutout to the iconic queen of Disney Animation:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Minnie_Mouse.png

prototoast
08-21-2020, 08:10 PM
How do you pronounce that? "Min dot D??

In the video, he says "mind", but I've always ready it as "mindy."

Bob Ross
08-21-2020, 08:35 PM
Reminds me of a cycling acquaintance who used to ride one of those Lemond 953 bikes, it used to piss him off to no end when I would refer to his "Lemon Dee" bike.:banana:

oldpotatoe
08-22-2020, 06:56 AM
Most likely pronounced MIN DEE

Mork and MIN DEE:)

oldpotatoe
08-22-2020, 06:57 AM
Reminds me of a cycling acquaintance who used to ride one of those Lemond 953 bikes, it used to piss him off to no end when I would refer to his "Lemon Dee" bike.:banana:

'Ott ROT', rhymes with 'rot'..:)

mdeth1313
08-22-2020, 07:30 AM
Mork and MIN DEE:)

nanu nanu

cgolvin
08-22-2020, 03:54 PM
In his "why a road bike" explanation, he says "you might as well have two bikes".

Average viewer reaction: "Why would I need two bikes?"
Paceline reaction: "Two? Who can get by with only two bikes?"

GonaSovereign
08-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Gerard pronounces it “mind,” which makes sense if you recall the name of his previous company.

jpw
08-23-2020, 07:51 AM
There's a 'notorious' YouTuber who likes to point out the manufacturing defects he finds in frames, forks and components sent to him by cyclists having problems with their expensive equipment. Open does not escape his attention. Something about the monocoque construction process leaving multiple voids in the carbon bottom bracket/ dropped chain stay area of the frame, seen by scanning, and then by cutting the frame open (pun not intended).

Pinned
08-23-2020, 11:50 AM
I just really can't get over the proprietary headset hearing for no reason at all.

Davist
08-23-2020, 11:53 AM
good grief that was awful, do I get my 15 minutes back? wow.

bshell
08-23-2020, 12:39 PM
I don't want one but I thought that was really well done as far as explaining a model. Refreshingly simple, actually. 11.5 minutes combined.

adub
08-23-2020, 04:01 PM
With most Vroomen designs there is always a fly in the ointment.

bicycletricycle
08-23-2020, 05:10 PM
i would like to know about the design process on that topper. 2 set screws...

charliedid
08-23-2020, 05:38 PM
i would like to know about the design process on that topper. 2 set screws...

Website states it's a micro wedge but maybe you saw that...

Sure is a fine looking bike IMO

bicycletricycle
08-23-2020, 05:48 PM
It isn't really a wedge, it is just a small plate the set screws push against directly compressing the seat tube. This may be just fine. Most of the load is taken up directly so the set screws are just keeping the seat from rotating. It just seems a little weak to me.

I like the look of the bike.

Website states it's a micro wedge but maybe you saw that...

Sure is a fine looking bike IMO

charliedid
08-23-2020, 05:56 PM
It isn't really a wedge, it is just a small plate the set screws push against directly compressing the seat tube. This may be just fine. Most of the load is taken up directly so the set screws are just keeping the seat from rotating. It just seems a little weak to me.

I like the look of the bike.

It certainly doesn't seem very robust for a thing you don't want to think/worry about or have finicky issues with.

bicycletricycle
08-23-2020, 05:59 PM
It certainly doesn't seem very robust for a thing you don't want to think/worry about or have finicky issues with.

I agree, however, it might work well. I would be interested in checking it out. It certainly looks nice.

jimoots
08-23-2020, 06:01 PM
There's a 'notorious' YouTuber who likes to point out the manufacturing defects he finds in frames, forks and components sent to him by cyclists having problems with their expensive equipment. Open does not escape his attention. Something about the monocoque construction process leaving multiple voids in the carbon bottom bracket/ dropped chain stay area of the frame, seen by scanning, and then by cutting the frame open (pun not intended).

If you can get past the crudeness of his presentation, the issues with open from both a design/engineering and QC point of view is mind boggling.

It explains the anecdotal stuff you hear about Cervelo, and now Open, gear. It really is a management/design/manufacturing philosophy problem right from the top.

charliedid
08-23-2020, 06:02 PM
I agree, however, it might work well. I would be interested in checking it out. It certainly looks nice.

Yep

Also two vs one set screw might keep any twisting from happening.

laupsi
08-23-2020, 07:19 PM
Call me biased, but I love my Open WiDe, so do two other folks whom I know and have purchased Open frames!

alvinholbrook
08-23-2020, 11:18 PM
If you can get past the crudeness of his presentation, the issues with open from both a design/engineering and QC point of view is mind boggling.

It explains the anecdotal stuff you hear about Cervelo, and now Open, gear. It really is a management/design/manufacturing philosophy problem right from the top.

What I will say, as someone who works in a bike shop that sells a lot of OPENs is that when there is a warranty issue relating to QC (which there are few), they require that we send the frame in question back to them for analysis. What they do from there I do not know, but it is neat that there is a consideration for the frame's quality.

jpw
08-24-2020, 02:50 AM

I asked him if he would consider toning down the crudeness, but his reply was "it's part of the package". We live in the 'attention economy' of the digital age, where only size of audience seems to matter.

Davist
08-24-2020, 06:58 AM
I asked him if he would consider toning down the crudeness, but his reply was "it's part of the package". We live in the 'attention economy' of the digital age, where only size of audience seems to matter.

yeah, no.. while he points out some good stuff, I can't get through it. Oh and PS, "typical over design engineer" can design a $300 bottom bracket, but derides the $30 model, amiright?

oldpotatoe
08-24-2020, 07:06 AM

His sexist, crude remarks is what put me off. His language I can live with if he gives good info but he goes off the rails with the other stuff..so, no thanks. I wonder if he has the same 'style' when he goes to work..
'aerospace engineer' or something. I'll bet he knows the HR person first hand..if he still has a job..

johngmartin
08-24-2020, 07:37 AM
I don't want one but I thought that was really well done as far as explaining a model. Refreshingly simple, actually. 11.5 minutes combined.

Agreed. It is so nice to not have to sift through all of the advertising/promotional tricks that the big companies use. Gerard is a good dude who gives a quick and clear walkthrough of their new bike for those who might want to buy it, but doesn't push it on those who don't. :beer:

R3awak3n
08-24-2020, 07:45 AM
I actually have come to like the concept of this bike and even though not a fan of ISPs I think this bike looks pretty nice. I would not buy another OPEN, made a thread about my U.P. but the bikes ride very nice, its probably one of the best gravel bikes out there. I bet this MIN.D also rides super well and as far as modern carbon road bikes go, it looks pretty nice, has some classic lines.

bicycletricycle
08-24-2020, 08:01 AM
Agreed. It is so nice to not have to sift through all of the advertising/promotional tricks that the big companies use. Gerard is a good dude who gives a quick and clear walkthrough of their new bike for those who might want to buy it, but doesn't push it on those who don't. :beer:

I agree as well. I prefer direct simple communication like this over slick marketing garbage.

R3awak3n
08-24-2020, 08:37 AM
this is still marketing garbage, just targeted to the people that don't like slick marketing garbage

vincenz
08-24-2020, 09:30 AM
this is still marketing garbage, just targeted to the people that don't like slick marketing garbage

Cycling in a nutshell.

Unless you’re a pro, it’s just about A E S T H E T I C

(and maybe some ride quality)

bicycletricycle
08-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Well, all marketing is marketing. I prefer marketing like this, no pictures of handsome people going fast or any other lifestyle garbage. Just a person who knows about the product talking about it. Jones does a lot of videos like on the features of his fat tire truss fork bikes. It is good to hear what the designer has to say about their product.

bicycletricycle
08-24-2020, 09:33 AM
you think pros don't care about aesthetics? that is silly ;)

Cycling in a nutshell.

Unless you’re a pro, it’s just about A E S T H E T I C

(and maybe some ride quality)

vincenz
08-24-2020, 09:55 AM
you think pros don't care about aesthetics? that is silly ;)

If they did, they'd band together and reject discs ;)

reuben
08-24-2020, 10:00 AM

Wheels or brakes?

bicycletricycle
08-24-2020, 10:05 AM
and sloping top tubes, non steel frames/forks, threadless stems, aero rims, etc.

laupsi
08-24-2020, 11:59 AM
I actually have come to like the concept of this bike and even though not a fan of ISPs I think this bike looks pretty nice. I would not buy another OPEN, made a thread about my U.P. but the bikes ride very nice, its probably one of the best gravel bikes out there. I bet this MIN.D also rides super well and as far as modern carbon road bikes go, it looks pretty nice, has some classic lines.

I'm entirely in your camp, but only because my WiDe has scratched an itch on the gravel side of things. As for road bikes, if I'm going to get another road bike, it will be Ti and it will be exactly to my liking.