PDA

View Full Version : Parts Question

mike p
02-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Does shimano make downtube shifters and brake levers for 10 sp? Thanks.

Mike

cpgardner
02-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Interestingly enough they do, and I was just reading this article on it:

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/921/47/

The link at the bottom shows a set of 7700 9 speed shifters, but if you go looking for downtube shifters on their site, you can find the 7800 10 speed model (although, again mistakenly, the attached pic shows a set of STIs).

dbrk
02-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Bless them, Shimano still makes 10spd dt shifters and there are tons of 9s out there (I have a stock...hoarding, as usual...when will I ever stop doing that?). The brake levers are beautifully done and you can find proper non-aeros still on eBay, though I prefer the gumhood Suntour Superbe or Mafac.

I'm still paring down, with a few more bikes to sell, a very few incoming, and then I honestly down I'll be after much again...but I still keep spares, especially things that look like they are going Jurassic sooner than later.

Shimano 10 speed rear derailleurs work fine with 9 and even Shimano thinks so (meaning that it's not just an unendorsed mix and match that works). Personally, I avoid "complete" group or dedicated parts whenever possible, on pure ideological grounds. Check out my recent Sachs for a bit of resistence (less than usual) to the must...coordinate...to.....full group or will turn to salt notions. Lot's wife and all that.

dbrk